Steyr Club Forums banner

Just got a Steyr M9....slight issue.

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  MrApathy 
G
#1 ·
Love the gun. I noticed however when I pull the slide back to load a round into the chamber, the slide stops right before the round is in battery....and my hand is off the slide. Any idea why? Is this common?

Thanks.

G
#5 ·
usually ~500 some people have had to run upwards of 1k to smooth out operations. Trigger will also wear in during that time.

you probably know this, but... Do not ride the slide foward, either release from slidelock using the release or by pulling back on the slide from locked and releasing.

G
#6 ·
Yeah, I do know not to ride it in, but I sometimes do as a personal function test, to see if the slide will still close and lockup. In this case it doesn't but I don't think it's that big of an issue. It may later on, it's just the first I have seen do this. I am used to owning Glocks and HK's, but this Steyr seems to be right on par so far.

#7 ·
This happens with my M9 as well but only with a full mag. The first shell may be binding against some part of the slide or ejector...? Wonder if a stronger slide spring would help?
Perhaps I should call Steyr USA?
Love this M9 and have faith it will eventually heal itself, same way my old BMW frequently does.
Lance

#11 ·
Having a handgun not go into battery from a slow hand cycle is not unusual.

The recoil spring must overcome a disconecctor and the friction of the loaded magazine placing a round against the slide.

I've had several handguns that operated like this. Many of them had no issues when cycling under recoil.

G
#12 ·
Yeah, your right. My previously owned guns never did this. I have loaded just 1 round in the magazine and it still does it, but under recoil it's fine. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt a problem that could result in a KB or something similiar.

#14 ·
My M9 was my first pistol so I had so many adjustments to consider..

not familiar how a pistol works so I thought it was not a good piece but dead wrong as I have discovered with my frequent use that its just the best semi-auto that one could get.... I have now a .45 1911 but my M9 is still and the most accurate pistol I have handled. Well probably because the 45 is a much higher caliber but the feel is just different...

it's just wonderful!

#15 ·
I now have 600 rounds through my S9 and mine does the same thing every couple a mags. It will happen in the middle of a magaze too. The thing I'm more concerned about it my trigger doesn't reset once in a while and the only thing I can do to reset it is to rack the slide to eject the live shell and when I release it, it's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.