Just bought the best holster ever.

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by RiceCakes, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

The only problem is I had to put it together myself. :lol:

[​IMG]

You know you want to know all about it. I took enough pics for a solid tutorial, if theres enough interest I'll put one together.

The kydex is .060, the J-Clips are .120, the leather is 7 weight. Formed it on the gun with a heat gun. .060 forms nice and easily at low temps. I left the nose covered because with the leather, the positive hold of the kydex on the gun is reduced. It also changes depending on how tight the leather is against you. So by leaving the end covered, if it gets bumped it wont come out.

The same problem also helps draw. Fairly light, very quick. You can pretty much drill holes all over the leather to figure out where you want it. took me 3 tries. The J-Clips are homemade. Something you see on stock crossbreeds is that the leather is behind the grip. I cut it out where my thumb goes, saves on draw time.

[​IMG]

I can sit, bend over, twist, run, jump, whatever, and its very comfy. Its light, sticks close to you, I dont think they come for comfy.

So how does it conceal?

Very well. Regular T-Shirt are not a problem. Wore it to Safeway and Wal-Mart today, NEVER felt like I'd show.

[​IMG]

So there you guys go, custom goodness!!
    If you're in the Colorado Springs, CO area and want to make one, I can help you out. You can even come over and use my heatgun, dremel, etc. I dont want to get into making these professionally, because they take awhile, and truthfully, everyone wants to carry different. No it is not hard to do. Startup costs and parts are about the same as a good holster, ~65 bucks. Now who has just one holster? After the startup, it boils down to buying the parts. Kydex is at most 5 bucks per foot.

So let me know what you guys think.

-RC

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very nice job! You continue to impress us with your innovation. 8)

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

4. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

That was my thought. My budget was pretty much what it would cost to buy one. With that money (about 60), I now have a dremel, a heat gun, and 2 more sheets of kydex :D
    Plus I didnt have to wait 8 weeks to get it.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm curious where you got the heat gun and what brand? The company I work for supplies them to aerospace OEM's and they usually fetch at least $180 for a Steinel or Milwaukee... :shock:

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

nah dude, you dont need anything like that. Harbor freight has them on sale about once a month for 10 bucks, I think reg is 15. My dremel was 25 at walmart. The Black & decker RTX. Works great, I researched it before I got it, it'll do almost anything. Get an accessory kit with a good sized cutoff wheel. Or just buy the cutoff wheel. The leather cuts with a utility knife.

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

where did you get the materials outside of the tools?

thanks for posting very nice.

8. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I got everything from texas knife makers, but knifekits has all the same stuff. I had to space the J-Clips (between the leather and clip) for the chicago screw to snug up. The holster is formed with .060. J-Clips with .120. Yes they are homemade. To attach the leath and kydex, i bought chicago screws, and of course, they were too big. Rivets I didnt want. I used DAP compound cement. It holds well after about 3 hours, DONT PULL ON IT. It feels gummy after 3 hours, after 3-4 days it is bonded very nicely. You also have to dremel (sand) the smooth side laminite off the kydex for a good bond. Yes it is very well secured with the DAP. You can pick up DAP at ace hardware for around 4 bucks. The kydex and leather are prolly 20-25 shipped. You can get the leather local maybe, the kydex idk. Both knifelits and taxas knife makers rape you with shipping. Knifekits does not have leather available.