Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about two years of research and trips to the range trying different autos, I found the M9-A1. I took my time since this was my first gun purchase. I picked one up at Cabela's (although it's an M9-A1 the slide says M9)last week, cleaned it, and then put 100 rounds through it. I had two FTEs in the first hundred rounds. From reading this forum and watching some videos on YouTube, I know that these guns unfortunately have historically had problems with FTEs. I thought though that I might be able to avoid this this since most of the posts I read about FTEs were from 2011 and older.

My question is this: could the FTEs simply be attributed to the gun needing to be "broken in"? If so how long is the break in period usually?

I'm glad that this forum is available as I'm a total noob and it seems like there is an enormous wealth of knowledge from the members here. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Break-in is usually about 600 rounds, however the FTEs can be caused by the extractor, or more frequently, the ammo itself. Winchester White Box, Speer Lawman, Federal, and Wolf steel case all seem to run well. Try a 124 grain bullet rather than the 115 gr, many have reported here that the weapon does well with that bullet weight. Stay away from Remington UMC, S&B, Herter, and any brand X.

As far as the extractor is concerned, the real fix is the insertion of a piece of 1911 safety/stop plunger spring, equal in length to the standard plunger spring, inside the existing plunger spring. Download the Big Taco tutorial from the Downloads section of this site, to see how to remove the extractor. Do all the work holding the slide inside a clean kitchen garbage bag to prevent flying parts from getting away - ask me how I know...

Enjoy your weapon!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would recommend that people do not cite specific brands of ammo the steyrs prefer. For example my steyr has problems with federal and loves S&B, the best advice to offer is that some steyrs can be finicky about their ammo and to not blame the the gun for FTE, FTF or whatever before switching ammo. it may take some experimenting to find the right ammo for your gun but you will find it. Also I find that the only time there are ammo issues is with 115 gr 9mm, try getting 124 gr and maybe any problems you're having will go away

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So good news I took it to the range and put another 150 rounds through it without any FTEs. I tried three different types of ammo: federal, Tulammo, and Magtech. I think they were all 110 grain. Fingers crossed the FTEs I first experienced were just an anomaly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would recommend that people do not cite specific brands of ammo the steyrs prefer. For example my steyr has problems with federal and loves S&B, the best advice to offer is that some steyrs can be finicky about their ammo and to not blame the the gun for FTE, FTF or whatever before switching ammo. it may take some experimenting to find the right ammo for your gun but you will find it. Also I find that the only time there are ammo issues is with 115 gr 9mm, try getting 124 gr and maybe any problems you're having will go away
There will obviously be variation with any trends found in the gun, but ETH77 speaks from a pretty healthy sample size of feedback.

I can say for myself, I've luckily had no issues whatsoever. WWB, Federal, S&B, American Eagle, and a smattering of SD rounds of various types/weights from various companies have all been flawless. I even traded a guy WWB for his Remington UMC because my Steyr ate the UMC fine while his Ruger P95 couldn't cycle them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hello,
when i bought my steyr m9a1 i didn't have any problem what so ever. but i did have a broken firing pin issue that was resolve by my departed friend and gunsmith. he just made a new one from me. aside from that it was okay. sold it unfortunately for a good cause.it will go away in time but if not do check the mag spring or the ammo.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm really finding out some interesting things studying over my c9-a1, I'll post up some info regarding it.

Most of the issues are trivial and break in oriented though.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Andrew* :)

Somma what *guy said:

...it may take some experimenting to find the right ammo for your gun but you will find it....
Welcome ta the Club, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- seems ta be typin' 'is lit'l paws raw today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts