Just bought an early M series--advice?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by malco, Apr 19, 2007.

1. malco

malco Guest

Hello--I just bought an early M40 (GSI gun, serial # 9XXX), and I'm wondering what validity there is to the four- and five-year-old Web complaints about chronic FTE's, extractor issues, etc. Were those isolated incidents in the grand scheme, or do the early guns have tech/design problems that need addressing? This particular pistol is nigh on to unfired--apparently just two boxes of Federal ball ammo without a problem. I still haven't shot it myself, but would like to know if there are known issues that should be rectified as a matter of course.

Regards,
    malco

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the 9xxx would have sold with an eight pound trigger. a free upgrade to the new style 6.5 lb trigger has always been offered, and still is as far as i know. would need to get in contact with SAI. numerous phone number references in this site.

if your pin is in the lower third of the trigger, you have the old style.

IF you have extraction issues, you can very easily install a portion of 1911 plunger spring. scottpoole is the guy to talk to and he has a pretty substantial thread going in the maintenance section. at one time he was offering to send members the spring. don't want to vlunteeer his service if he has run out of spring.

please realize that the fte is not solely the fault of the extractor, but is emblematic of the tight chamber of the steyr. MOST people shooting m9's, old and new including myself, have no trouble. if i did, i'd throw the extra spring in there in a heartbeat and not think twice of it.

steyr likes lots of lube relative to glocks.

steyr basically won't do wolf or umc ammo. wwb and blaser brass are known good choices.

anything that is wroung or troublesome with your pistol is best left to SAI. they have parts available and their customer service/repair times are unbelievebly great!!!.

good luck. we like range reports!!!

3. malco

malco Guest

bigtaco--
    Thanks for the quick reply and helpful advice--to my eye the trigger pin appears to sit about midway between the bottom of the frame and the bottom tip of the trigger itself, and I don't get the sense that it breaks as high as 8 lbs., so maybe it's already had the upgrade. I'll take it to the range and report this weekend. Any recommendations on brands of gun lube?

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i can tell you that no one has reported grief with any lube. i use remoil. apply liberally, then wipe it all off with a clean patch.

be sure NOT to overlube the firing pin or it's channel if you take it down that far. apply lube, wipe it all off. you'll be good to go.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I use Breakfree mostly, and have used FP-10 and Wilson Ultima Lube. They all seem fine on Steyrs, Glocks, and 1911s.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Militec-1 is some of the best stuff around. Eezox is also really good and does a better job of preventing rust than 99% of the stuff on the market. What kind of climate do you live? That may help determine whether or not you need a thick or thin oil, etc. :)

EDIT: Here is a link that tests Eezox.

7. malco

malco Guest

Thank you all for responding. I live in western Montana, which has a relatively dry climate. For what it's worth, I stopped off to buy ammo this afternoon at a good-sized sporting goods store--plumb out of WWB and Am. Eagle in .40. You might think it was a NATO round. I'm still hoping to shoot the gun this weekend and report.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If the climate is dry, I would go with Militec-1. It's a pretty thick oil and my Steyr has always loved it. Heck - it even smells good, too 8). I prefer it over CLP and the other more common oils, but they will (for the most part) all do the job. Another cool thing you can do with the Militec-1 is bake it into your slide and and barrel - 15-20 minutes @ 180 degrees. It works wonders.