Just a thought.....

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by babj615, Oct 29, 2007.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

How difficult would it be to add a member ranking system to this forum?

Nothing elaborate - Just a simple "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" or "+/-" button with every post.

No forced participation, but, IF someone wanted to vote on any given post, they would be directed to input a short reason for the vote [very short - like the length of our Signature line].

Then, for those interested, they could view any persons profile and see an up to date "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" count included.....

...kinda like a feedback system...... to help keep honest folks honest......

Like I said,

Just a thought.....

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya bab* :)

Hehehehe.... :)

Just seems kinda funny. <smirk> Anyway, how come? :shock: I mean, what's init for me? :twisted:

Wulf <-- all ears :shock:

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This would be a Q for Deluxe247 - I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement. I know we're waiting on a new version of phpBB to come out to upgrade the forum, but I'm not sure what new features it will provide...

4. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

OK, I have set this up. Its not exactly what you wanted, but it is a start. Look here for details...

-D

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Looks like that caused some probs on our end -D...

Sent ya a PM

6. Deluxe247

This is fixed. :)

-D

7. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Doesn't the "system" encourage folks to make worthless posts for the sake of increasing their rep? For instance, "+1" posts are extraordinarily useless in my judgment. Yet, if someone posts 20 such entries, they increase their reputation.

(?)

Seems sophomorish to me. What am I missing here?

Now, I'll get a point deducted for questioning the establishment!

;)

8. Deluxe247

I agree. Those kind of posts are a waste of database space. We will operate this on the "honor system" if you will. People doing what you described above expressly for the purpose of increasing their point bank will have their posts removed and their rep set to negative and or be banned. This is all done on a trial basis. if we find that it is not working then I will turn it off. It is designed to award those who contribute and do so in a positive way. If people are cool and stick to the rules then all will be good.

-D

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

And it's not like we don't see our fair share of post-whoring as is on SteyrClub - it happens, but oh well... Like -D said, there are ways to deal with it if it gets out of hand.

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *nut :)

+1, Dude. ;)

Wulf <-- prolly loosin' points already :roll:

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

BTW, Dudes :shock:

How many points in the red before ya can't be a moderator nomore? :shock: And, how many neg pts for the f-word? :shock:

Wulf <-- gonna start spellin' fuck with a ph :twisted:

12. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Sweet I have a room full of Chimps that have been doing other internet
    work for me so NOW I will have to get them to work on this site.
    So they will be posting under my name so if you see a bunch of random stuff
    pay no attention to that. I MUST have the BEST rep EVER!!! :twisted: ha ha ha!

GET TO WORK EVIIILLL MONKEYS TYPE for all your wooooorrrrrrtthhhhh! You
    fling all the pooh you want later for now TYYYPPEEE!!! We will have world
    domination soon!!! :twisted:

(i wish I had a pic of monkeys typing but I don't)

13. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

would rather not be a part of a numerical rating scheme. haven't been around the forum that long but really fail to see the benefit of it. either a post has merit for you or it doesn't - regardless of the poster.

it seems too easy to game the system and it is not likely to provide meaningful feedback.

also a lot of posts are just for fun and not intended to be taken seriously and i would hate to see an easy going friendly atmosphere devolve into something unpleasant and overly rigid.

still i realize it is just an experiment and perhaps the majority of folks feel differently or have seen attempts to quantify human perceptions on forums improve the overall quality of the experience.

so, time to sit back be quiet and see what happens.

14. Deluxe247

OK, I have turned this off. This has created waaaay more issues than I care to deal with.

-D

15. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

PDO

This idea was the down fall of a great CC site PDO. A rating system is demeaning and plane stupid. Packing.org. RIP. :cry:

16. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Re: PDO

Right......

Wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings, would we?????

isn't that 'pacification'?

Pacification:

# the act of appeasing someone or causing someone to be more favorably inclined; "a wonderful skill in the pacification of crying infants"
    # peace: a treaty to cease hostilities; "peace came on November 11th"
    # actions taken by a government to defeat insurgency

Hmmmmm.......

I know I am NO pacifist......

17. Deluxe247

:x

I'm not singling anyone out here but, I don't care to hear things like "how demeaning" this type of functionality is. Its done and gone. I know a lot of you have voiced your opinions about how much you disliked this.

It's always easy to be a member of a site that just sits back and nit-picks about things that they don't like. Gotta' love the anonymity of the web. A lot of my personal time is spent on keeping things running and up to date around here. When a request comes in for something, I try to make it happen if I have extra time and I think it will add value to the site. It was executed with good intentions (all hand coded from scratch by the way) to give new users and old ones a quick way to determine who was a helpful contributing member of the site that they could trust with questions, etc.. Basically it will only work if EVERYONE acts like an adult and use the system in a positive way. Apparently that is not an option.

Rant Off...

-D

18. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Well, I would have awarded you five points for that! ;)

For what its worth, I think you made the right decision.

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Re: PDO

In fairness, PDO collapsed because they did away with moderating completely. The forum was supposed to be self-moderated by the rating system and that definitely didn't work out...

Luckily, handgunlaw.us has picked up the slack with all the stuff PDO used to be great for. :D

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam!!! :twisted:

And my votes were just startin' ta pour in!!! Zat mean the winner's weekend in Vegas with a nekid Carmen Electra look alike awarded for the most votes has been canceled??? :shock: WTF??? :shock: You guys suck! :twisted:

Wulf <-- cleanin' up monkey sh*t and tryin' ta fig'r out how to sneak all the borrowed chimps back into the Denver zoo :shock: