Just a few things I learned, shooting my M9-1A.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Angel, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

I was out on the range the other day to test my Steyr back from SAI (again!). Good news was, no double shots. I had an XD Sub-Compact out for a shoot out side by side. Here is what I learned from my outing.

1) Steyr M9-1A doesn't like the short rounds, even if they are expensive and high quality ones. Some 9mm rounds are just a few millimeters shorter than others and it seems that the extractor (even with the SAI fix) doesn't extend far enough to yank those suckers out reliably. This makes sense for all the ammo I fired from this gun.

2) The low axis of bore gets affected more by muscle motions than guns that have a higher center of mass, aka high slide, barrell, etc. This is simple physics and surely accounts for my fliers to the left.

3) While the tri-trap sights allow for faster target acquisition, I don't think they are as accurate as decent three point sights. I saw a few articles explaining what makes sights accurate and it makes sense that for the barrel to line up perfectly with the tri-traps there has to be equal amount of space between the triangle and the sides of the rear sights. This is harder to achieve than three point post sights that leave no space in the sight picture between the front and the rear posts.

4) You don't want a 3 inch barrel gun to be your house gun. There was considerably more muzzle flash from ammo with slower burning powder (in this case CCI Blazer Brass). The combination of the short muzzle and this ammo would surely blind the shooter in the dark.

2. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry New Member

Stock sights

Just purchased my M9-A1 and have been wringing it out. I love it!

Gotta say though, for me, the stock sights are the most accurate I've ever shot. Slow string (1 sec/shot) groups at 30 feet are three 3". Would be much better if my eyes were better.

But I now have accuracy that compares favorably with a long barrel .22 pistol.

Bottom line in self defense is combat accuracy, and that gets better with fine accuracy practice. Whatever works for you.

Just wanted to share an opinion.

3. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I'm having trouble with shooting to the left also. My trigger pull seems to be the problem. :? I'm working on it. :roll:

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

angel,

1)when a round is chambered, the neck of the case dogs against a lip in the chamber. at which point, the length of bullet protrusion has to be between a minimum and maximum. this insures that the bullet is not engaged in the rifling when ignition occurs. overall length therefore has nothing to do with extractor engagment.

above should be ignored if you are measuring the case length. and i apologize.

but, keep in mind that the force that is driving back the slide IS the case moving rearward. the extractor only has to overcome the force of the case expanding into the chamber. what happens during a failure to extract, is that the case gets a better grip on the chamber than the extractor has on the rim. knowing this, it kind of makes sense that the chamber is as likely a cause of an fte as the extractor.

what i've come to conclude about ammo makers, is that they all have a little different theory on proper rim dimensions. some (umc in my experience) are difficult for the steyr extractor to grip. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that umc is pretty uncommon in austria which explains the trouble to me.

as far as the extractor not "extending far enough"... the extractor engages the rim before the round even enters the chamber. the round slides up the feed ramp and under the extractor's grip on it's way to battery.

2) if the bore axis was three feet above your hand or three feet below your hand, left and right still wouldn't come into play.

you may happen to shoot other pistols better than the steyr, but pulling left is in no way a function of bore axis, high or low.

3) i think the tri-traps are the most accurate sights of all time. true, in the steyr design, there is light between front and rear sight. true, the sights are the same for m and s series, which means there is MORE light between the sights on the s with it's shorter sight radius.

these are designed to be "combat" sights, and as such they function beautifully. 21 feet and in, forget about the rear sight!!! both eyes wide open, focused clearly on the front sight. 10 feet and in? point shoot!!! look over the gun with both eyes open and pull the trigger!!!! a few places teach this method, but the reality is that when some dude is getting close, you won't be able to close an eye and aim.

i definitely think a lot of accuracy could be gained by machining a different front sight that would completely fill the rear with no daylight. if we put a tritium vial in it... even better!!

my one annoyance with all other traditional iron sights is that at a certain distance, the post is bigger than the target. really annoying when i try to shoot my mosin-nagant at 200 yards. the post is bigger than the PAPER! won't be long before i chuck that sight up in the lathe and file a point on the end of it.

the triangle becomes great in this context because it has a definite point. a clear center to the post.

couldn't do it today, but when i was really practicing hard everyday, i squeezed off some 5 shot 10" groups at 50 yards... with the s40. i was blown away at the accuracy, and maintain that the gun is better than that. the triangle point allowed me to hold dead on the bottom of the circle.

4) totally agree on the 3" for a house gun. but i suspect the twelve guage will be pretty bright in the night as well. one of the inescapable realities.

BUT GREAT FOR FLINCHERS!!!! who having their eyes closed will not suffer blindness.

i hate shooting a deer right at dusk. you get all the flash coming right through the scope. totally blind. and can't see if he fell or ran or jumped. just a few painfully long seconds of darkness.

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

pulling left...

I do that too. I have bad habits and years without practice, so trigger control is an issue for me. But yeah, I keep pulling just left of center.

6. I've run thousands of rounds through my M40 and my MA140 without a single issue yet.

The low bore axis has ZERO to do with those flyers to the left.

IDPASteyr used to have an excellent tutorial on proper grip with the Steyr that might help you out. I'd look into that.

The trap sights can be swapped out for three post sight as they are simple dove tail sights. You should have night sights on your pistol anyways. A lot of us have the PT Night Sights and have had good luck with them.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I love the trap sights, especially the large white insert on the front sight for combat shooting or shooting when my glasses get knocked off.