John Moses' Ghost.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Thunderbear, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

After having a cold Carta Blanca and watching '300,' I glance over at my old slabside and wonder.

Readiness. It's a word with meaning in battle. It signifies preparedness, alertness, skill and confidence. It is also a word, like 'hero' that is overused and diminished by such overuse. Are you truly ready?

Are you ready to carry the fight to whomever, whenever?

Are you ready to bring the fight?

Preparedness, training and confidence such as the Spartans used would shock and be reviled by those today, but the essence of that preparedness should echo in all of us. No doubt many of you who carry have gotten the strange look, the sideways glance, or cold shoulder from many of those sheep who would turn a blind eye and an inviting target for the predator. But are you ready to bare fangs at the wolves and fight? Warrior after warrior from the earliest ages of history has understood that fortune favors the prepared. So the onus is on you, you who have decided that depending on the mercy of evil is for those 'cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.' Are you truly ready? For those who have served know well the adage: The more you bleed in training, the less you bleed in combat.

-end rant-

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

I feel ya, *Bear ...

Thanx.

Wulf

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I've always had the same feelings, to a degree. I prepare myself well enough to hold an entrenched location against an attacking small arms force. With todays firepower and such, I have little need to prepare for more than that. Can I prevent a break in double homicide? Probably? Will I fend off tank and mortar fire on my home? No.

And no, I am not willing to go forth to defend. Thats the #1 reason I didnt enlist. I dont believe in being the World's Police Force.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Cakes :)

I was thinkin' more along the lines of a hero role...doin' what must be done to protect the "weak" and "scared"...when self risk is right in your face. :shock:

Wulf

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Being about 4 miles as the crow flies from the White House, I think about civil riot in the wake of a WMD attack every day. As for defending any Tom, Dick, or Harry, here the majority would be liberals who might hang you out to dry after the smoke clears even if you did save their keester. So I would have to make a case-by-case decision on non-family or non-immediate neighborhood actions.

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Agreed. Heroes save the grateful. The only thing that makes a hero such is the people that cheer his name. Most people these days would curse it.

7. West01

West01 New Member

Good words Thunderbear,

The steal and iron of battle requires the skill and determination of prepared warrior. Few can stand against overwhelming forces but not an individual. For old bodies like mine the days physical skills are long gone...but it doesn't matter, awareness of your community and the a active and concrete participation of the well being of your fellows neighbors will create divedend in time of crisis. The old "United we stand"....

RiceCakes. I got to remember this line.....excellent!

The Best and cheers!

:D

West01

8. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

hahah. A spinoff of "the only difference between genius and insanity is press coverage."

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Shooting a 5"/54 naval gun from a destroyer in Vietnam at unseen targets 13 miles away is not the same thing as shooting a pistol, rifle or shotgun at someone eyeball to eyeball.

I'm sure veterans who have actually "seen the elephant" in combat are the only ones among us who are truly ready, willing and able to face whatever comes. And also of course, our "veterans" who wear the civilian blue.

The rest of us wonder if we will have what it takes to rise to the occasion when and if the SHTF. I suppose we'll never know for sure until push comes to shove. :shock: