JHP and FMJ Compatible Combination

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Guest, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Has anyone settled on a 147gr cartridge combination, of both JHP and FMJ, that'll provide adequate bedside table protection with the JHP, and a reasonably similar shooting experience, and less cost, with the FMJ for the range? Thanks!!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

After months of studying the Caliber Corner Forum of GlockTalk.com and other ballistics threads, I am confident of the performance of the Winchester Ranger-T 147 grain loads. Great penetration, consistent expansion and the additional bonus of those "talons" for additional wounding capability make them my carry round of choice. I believe they also have a good street record in actual LE shootings and have performed well in test by the reputable Ammolab.

For competitive advantage in IDPA matches, I usually shoot Lancer Ammo Competition Loads in 147 grain FMJ (claimed 895 fps), which I think have a soft "push" recoil impulse compared to WWB 115s and perceived faster shot-to-shot recovery.

I have shot the Lancer 147 Competition Loads back-to-back with the Ranger-T 147s in my M9 and S9. Much to my surprise, the Winchester Ranger-T 147s shoot just about as softly as the Lancer Competition loads, giving me even more confidence. With this ammo, at 7 yards I can double-tap consistent pairs in the "down zero" 6-inch center of an IDPA target at about .18-.25 splits.

Hope this helps.

Jeff