It was range day today

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by madecov, Sep 3, 2007.

1. madecov

madecov Active Member

Took the family out to the range.
    My wife is definitely not into firearms by any stretch of the imagination, but she expressed an interest in learning to shoot.

Went out with two out of three of my favorite Polymer bodied pistols.

Steyr M40A1 and S&W M&P9.

My wife is left handed and liked the way the Smith had an ambi slide release. Now I had given her a few lessons way
    back with a 22 but I don't own it anymore so it was 9mm for her.

She did ok and hit paper at 7yds all day long. she never got excited about it (range was very packed today).

She did try the Steyr, but the 40 recoil is a bit much for her (she did place one round in the ten ring)

I ended the day shooting my M40A1, I haven't shot it in around 5 months and had forgotten what a joy it is to shoot. My trigger has really smoothed out to the point I almost can't feel the re set. Accuracy and reliability where perfect as usual (over 1200 rounds through gun)

As a comparison I would say fit and finish is better on the Steyr
    Trigger is better on the Steyr
    Ergonomics are almost a toss up the S&W having ambidextrous slide release and reversible magazine catch. but slight edge to Steyr.
    Perceived recoil is a bit lower in the S&W but it is a 9mm and it is a heavier weapon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Nice pair you got there!
    Sounds like you had a great day to me.

I can't seem to make up my mind Steyr or M&P. Can you pick a favorite of the two and tell me why?? Thanks..

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe he has said before that lack of a duty holster is the only reason his Steyr isn't his "one gun"...

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

Pretty much true.

5. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Thanks.