It all comes down to the trigger

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by kraigster414, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

The biggest hurdle as I see it with the MA1 is to find someone, somewhere who can perform a good, reliable carry trigger job. At its current price point (CDNN), the MA1 represents a solid value and I continue to enjoy shooting it but....my trigger clocks at under 6 lbs (feels heavier), I've done the recommended polishing of key parts as outlined by Big Taco and others, and I am still not satisfied. It's heavy break may be fine for self defense but I know that my range accuracy could be improved with a better, lighter trigger. If I could drop a pound off the break, I and a lot of other folks would be very happy.

All the other enhancements - holsters, sights, after-market guide rods....all nice but until there's a fix for the trigger, whether it be a home kit or a gunsmith who knows the MA1 and is willing to take the project on, my MA1 will never acheieve the status of my other semi-automatics. And the current inability to perform this work on the MA1 is IMHO yet another reason why some folks gravitate to other guns despite their higher cost. Again, my opinion, if you love your MA1 just the way it is, great. But I want to make a good gun better and I feel we are too limited in this regard.

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Kraigster414!

My M357-A1 has a 5 1/4 pound trigger that feels much lighter. It won't go any lighter w/o developing a reset issue, but IMO, that's plenty light enough for a duty/combat pistol. There's several things You can do to lighten or improve the trigger pull, but it brings up a liability issue. That being said I'm not brave enough to go tinkering w/ someone elses pistol, but have delved extensively into mine.

Brainstorm - I'll drop David Bowie of Bowie Tactical a line and see if He'd do any work on M-A1's. He does outstanding things w/ S&W's M&P!
    _______
    mugdava

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks Mug. Someone has got to step up to the plate who IS brave enough. Once, I am confident in his ability, I'll sign any kind of waiver he wants. Every semi auto today seems to have a cadre of dedicated gunsmiths who perform incredible work. With the MA1, we continue to fly solo. That shouldn't be. My sweet spot is a 4.5-4.75 trigger. Hardly a hair trigger.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Boldly go where no Steyroid has gone before! Trek on!

Where was I? Oh yeah, my M357-A1 recently tipped the scales on my Lyman digital scale at 5 lbs. 10.5 oz., which is just a hair over the factory specs of 5.5 lbs., but I was really surprised it measured that heavy. It really does feel much lighter. BigTaco's trigger work has been done, but to be honest, I couldn't tell much difference in feel before or after. I didn't have a digital trigger gauge then, so I don't know what it originally was. Even more surprising was my Kel-Tec PF-9's measurement of 5 lbs., 2 oz. I woulda swore on a stack of Bibles it was much heavier than the M357-A1. It's not heavier, just much, much longer.

And after shooting my new CZ75 with its 2.5-lb. SA trigger, holy moly my M357 felt like I was pulling stumps! But a carry gun with a trigger that light is just not realistic.

But I wouldn't mind having a lighter trigger, say like my G29's 4 lbs., 5.6 oz.; or my Llama .45's 4 lbs., 3.4 oz. If you find somebody who can get it down into 4 territory, let us know.

Here's another possibility: Grayguns.com. They currently list trigger work for HK and Sig with Springfield XD and 1911-types listed as "coming soon." Maybe they'd like to "boldy go" into Steyroid territory. Good luck with your search. I'm sure a lighter trigger something lots of Steyroids would like to get. :mrgreen:

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Everytime I shoot my Springfield XD45 with its fantastic 4 lb. trigger job compliments of Scott Springer of Springer Precision, I say to myself, "why can't this kind of magic be done on my Steyr?" Ditto for the Glocks that require only a simple connector change, the super S&W M&P trigger job performed by Dan Burwell of Burwell Gunsmithing, and on and on. Conversely, with the MA1 we have a gun, albeit a great value, that is short on after-market accessories and OEM replacement parts, has no dedicated gunsmith support, and we soon reach a point where there is little more we can do to enhance its performance. This is one of the reasons I have slowed down on my posting - I am waiting to hear some excitement. And trust me, I have inquired, even cajoled some established gunsmiths to take on the MA1 but so far, there has been little interest. This is by no means intended as serious ding against the MA1. At $350 it represents a tremendous buy. I just think the potential is there to make it even better.

6. nuj

nuj New Member

hello,
    the steyr MA1 does have a very crappy trigger and no amount of polishing will ever make it as sweet as a 1911 trigger or something like it. if you can live with it , i suggest do so. it was designed that way my friend. i think whats important for a handgun is reliablity . the trigger does play a role in making a handgun work but it wont mean a thing if instead of a BANG when you pulled the trigger you get a dreaded CLICK. as long as your steyr keeps on firing everytime you pull the trigger, that fine with me. i too polished to a mirror finish all the mechanism on my M9A1 and as i used it, i think the trigger pull lessen but not that much. what i'm really complaining is the erractic ejection of the spent casings, they go everywhere, but thats another story. takecare

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

My desire is not to replicate a 1911 trigger but rather to have an MA1 trigger at least equal to my XD trigger (using another polymer gun as an example) or even a Glock trigger when swapping out connectors. Having owned/carried weapons for years, I am well aware of the BANG factor. 'Just a bit disappointing (to me anyway) that we can't do more to refine the MA1 as there are no reputable gunsmiths willing to take the MA1 on. For me the trigger is everything. I'd gladly take a good trigger over erratic ejection anytime.

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

i was at the range this weekend shooting the M9 and trying to figure out what about the trigger I didn't like......I felt like the trigger hit a hard break point and then..............nothing.....kinda mush and a weak return feel. Unlike my Glocks that have a stronger trigger spring return feel....if that makes sense.....I still think they are great guns and a great value right now from CDNN, but I agree with kraigster, its all about the trigger...If the crap hit the fan and I had to pick a gun from the usual list it would still be a Glock first, and probably the Sig 229 (357sig) next........O I forgot, the 1911 is probably the best of the best....IMO...but cock and lock, 8 rounds... :naughty:

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

+1 Shooter. With other guns you get a click. With the MA1 you get a hard thunk and that's why the MA1 is not my favorite range gun though for personal defense, it will certainly do the job and for $350 how can you beat it? Right now my pick of the litter is the HK P30 but you are talking a big difference in price. However when you start comparing the MA1 to the XD, the Glock, and the M&P as just three examples, the price differential is not that great if you shop around, and these guns have the capability of really being improved, action wise. Not to beat a dead horse but we don't have that capability with the MA1 and I'm wondering if we ever will.

10. lycanthrope

lycanthrope Guest

If spare parts were readily available experimentation could occur. I'm pretty sure I could reduce the pull easily and safely if I had a few extra posts to work on.

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

If you could, I would be your first customer. :)

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I want a little stronger spring reset feel, so I don't loose that feel on my trigger finger after the it goes bang........