Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my gen 1 M9 and I suspect I could be missing a part or something is damaged. I replaced a broken firing pin guide rod already, fired a few test shots and it immediately broke the same way again. There is a gap between the end of the guide rod and the plastic cover on the back of slide. The guide rod has room to wiggle back and forward and I strongly suspect it shouldn't. It looks as if there is supposed to be another part inbetween them in the gap, but there isn't anything like that in the schematic. Do I need a new slide cover? If so where do I even get one? Because they don't sell them on Steyr's website. I can get guide rods and firing pins but could find no back covers.
Rectangle Office equipment Wood Gun accessory Beige

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to get a picture with parts removed? Just trying to see break location and any other missing parts
Heres a picture of the first guide rod that broke. As you can see it's brown, so I thought it only broke because of rust, but then the new one broke the exact same way after 5 rounds. I got a new spring and washer with it too, so the only original part in that assembly is the firing pin itself which looks fine to me. I checked the schematic I have, it doesn't look like I'm missing any parts.
Office supplies Font Electric blue Metal Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm actually questioning the ammo I have too. I had no issues even with the rusty old parts up until I got this cheap callaway ballistics ammo... Fired 150 rounds of PMC and CCI stuff, but then it broke 2 rounds into a box of this callaway stuff... Then the new one broke on the same ammo too.

On the other hand when I called Steyr they said it should handle even overly hot ammo and still not break, and these rounds didn't seem any hotter than normal. so I'm just confused at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.