Isoceles with a Steyr M-series, need advice/links/etc

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I am shooting enough competitions that I am now decided to start converting from a Weaver-style to isoceles. I need any pointers for good websites, Steyr specific advice, etc.

Thanks

Ben

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

isoceles isn't so tough. just square up to your target and un-lock your right elbow.

you'll do the same forward push with your right hand and rearward pull with you left, but since your elbow isn't locked, you're relying a little more on squeezing the two hands together to stabilize the gun.

squeezing your trapezius muscles will do wonders for muzzle flip.

the big plus to this is that since your right arm isn't locked, it isn't subjected to such a direct push of recoil. this keeps your shoulder and elbow from getting beaten up.

gotta be all kinds of advice on isoceles on the net.

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Thumb on "thumb groove", with support thumb below? The Steyr grip tutorial with wrapped support hand and support thumb on frame worked well for with Weaver, but seems to confilct with the idea behind isoceles.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i think the thumb deal is to get your support thumb on the frame and to rest the grip thumb on the support thumb.

you just don't want to get the grip thumb under the support thumb, nor do you want to cross the grip thumb down over your support thumb.

know what i mean? or is this getting too abstract?

5. nixon

nixon Member

thaiboxer,
    Watch the video on the link provided by one of our members in this topic entitled Cool Vids and you can see Todd Jarrett's isosceles stance or the one from KC Eusebio's and try what works for you by that I mean you dont have to copy the exact hold. See how much extension you can get w/o locking your elbows stiff and still feel comfortable. Like BT's advice, put even pressure on both hands but not as much as if to kill the gun.

Nixon,

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Nixon

Thanks for the link to Jarrett vids, those were nice.

Ben

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

8. cyberiad

cyberiad Guest

9. Smart move.

Weaver sucks really and I can't say enough good things about isoceles as it is the most stable along with the most consistent of standing firing positions.

Here is a Good Link:

Todd Jarrett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

+1.......

11. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Re:

Dayum Big, I can't even spell the word even after I see you typing it out.

Hey Big, your going to have to change your user name due to copyright infringement. My ex-girlfriend is really mad.

Take Care and GO WEAVER !!! It rhymns with...... :naughty:

MTS

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I'm still practicing, and I'm still between iso and Chapman, although closer to iso now.

I want to take a course but no time....

13. midtnshooter

The difference between the Steyr and the Para's recoil is very subtle. I'm pretty good with my double tap with my Steyr (Betty), but it is a noticeable difference with Ethel (Para). I certainly can't do what he did, because that's all he does day in, day out.

If you watch all his videos, he ends one of the videos shooting a 50 cal. sniper laying down on his BlackHawk Tour bus while it's moving.

See Ya,
    MTS

14. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

hate to repeat myself MTS, but I'm only on my first cup of java :shifty: double tapping is a cop thing that is required for political correctness, but a poor tactical manuver. Vary that. Try the Israelie zipper chest upward to the head, evaluate/scan OR two to the chest, one to the head, one to the pelvis, evaluate/scan.......or just empty the mag and reload.... :lol:

15. midtnshooter

:lol: I also believe shoot, reload, go to Walmart and purchase more. Then go back for some more target practice. :D

Happy New Year!
    MTS

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Happy New Year........................... :clap:

17. midtnshooter

One more thing about double tap, shooting IPSC at the Alpha, a double tap will save precious mili-seconds. If not perfected, the Alpha is an Omega, The beginning of the End.

Did anyone see that video of the 50 cal off the tour bus. What a rush.

See ya,
    MTS