is there a supply issue?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by dj_pub_ma, Jan 7, 2007.

1. dj_pub_ma

dj_pub_ma Guest

I've had a M40 A1 on order for 2 months now, and still no estimated ship date. got a little tired of the wait, so I changed the order to a M357 A1 instead, and picked up a Walther P99 in .40. Wanted to try the caliber out- already have a P7 M8 in 9mm and a CZ97B in .45.

Have been lurking a few weeks, and the positive comments on the .357 guided that choice- as well as the comments on the Walther.

Should I expect the Steyr in a month or two? I can't imagine it taking so long to get one in to the dealer in Maine.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

now that you mention it. it looks like distributors are showing them as nearly sold out some models totally sold out.

someone may want to get on the phone with steyr and check when the boats due in.

few months back saw 100's per model and looks like they got distributed or sold.

gunbroker has listings for most models.
    galleryofguns out even on rifles except 1 rifle think they listed 1 rifle instock too. for pistols S9A1 in stock rest out.

onpoints inventory system which I believe is actually theyre distributors inventory system shows no M40A1's and few of the other models in.

thegunsource.com shows limited stock quantities.

sounds like may take some phone tag calling around to find a steyr if anyone wants one outside of using auction sites.

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

My dealer is 1/4 mile from Steyr USA, literally across the street, and I have had two MA1s within 24 hours of ordering them. The M40 A1 and M9 A1 should available without any trouble. I was told mid-month December that there were no M357 in inventory at Steyr USA. You might have been better off sticking with the M40 and trying another dealer as there should be no problem, but the M357 may still be a major problem.

Give Steyr USA a call.

Buzz

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

Rumor is that Steyr may go dealer direct rather than using standard distribution channels. This has caused several distributors to cut back on inventory.

Personally I think it's a bad idea.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Wouldn't that be better for you?????????? I'd wait for that 357sig....... :wink:

6. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Dj!

I actually received my M357-A1 a month ago. I was lucky in that my local supplier had one ready for shipment w/ no wait. While I really like my brothers new XD.45 Tactical(5") and my new S&W M&P 9mm, my Steyr M357-A1 :D is currently my favorite. For the money, It's hard to beat. Just a half a notch off the Steyr, would be my brothers S&W M&P .40

I've got 2 extra mags coming from Steyr & PT night sights on the way.

I'm w/ Shooter, stick w/ the 357sig!
    ________
    mugdava

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Under the wire?

Not to rain on your parade, but I got my M357-A1 just before Christmas after spending three days scouring the web, calling every dealer whose website showed one in stock. Kept hearing "sold out" until third day when found a dealer in Tennessee who had one in stock. Sold with no haggling!

When I got my piece, code date of manufacture, IOM, translates to September 2005, which means it had been in the system for a while. (At first I thought it was 10M until I found the post with the date-number-letter codes.)

If you can stand the wait until the Steyr pipeline fills again, it will be worth it. I love my M357-A1 and I'm glad I didn't settle for the M40-A1s or M9-A1s I found in stock. She's a pocket rocket, or maybe a hand cannon is a better name. :mrgreen:

Hang in there :!: :?

8. dj_pub_ma

dj_pub_ma Guest

thanks for the guidance

it did seem like the number available on gunbroker.com dropped to almost none in recent weeks. The P99 is pretty enjoyable, and will be curious to see how the Steyr .357 cartridges compare.

Will wait a while for the new one, but that is OK- no hurry, though the longer it doesn't snow up here in Maine, the more range time I'm missing...

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

Actually, probably not unless the Steyr became the most popular handgun on the market.
    With Standard distribution everyone pays about the same. If Steyr goes direct there will be different pricing based on number of units purchased. Also some dealers who may order one for inventory while ordering several handguns will probably not order a Steyr all by itself.

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Good points.....somebody oughta tap this guys on the head........unless they are trying to drive up the prices which is dumb..............or crap, why wait for a Steyr, I'll just get an M&P............ 8-O

11. caddo

caddo Guest

Hello all,You might already know this but I just wanted to let everyone know that CDNN has the 9 and 40 in stock.If you order one ask for Marshall he is a real good guy and will help you out. Anyway This is my 1st post here and wanted to say hello.

12. armored

armored New Member

Judging by the low inventory of all models and the NO SHOW of Steyr at the SHOT show, I'm getting a BAD feeling.

I think Steyr is bailing out! CDNN may be having another SUPER SALE coming like the M9 sale of days past.

13. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

fwiw my local gun store (in Canada) just got M40 A1 in stock...

14. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Asked a local dealer to locate an M357-A1 for me about a week ago. He sent out some emails to his usual suppliers but did not get much response. Talked to him about ONE listed at OnPoint with the 10 round mags and expressed an interest in transferring from them. He made some calls and eventually got someone in charge at Steyr on friday who reportedly told him the pistols are back in stock and offered to send him a form for direct dealing, so he ordered four.

http://www.ericmannadistributing.com/index.asp

Eric told me he should get them in sometime this week. Will let you know when I have one in hand. Really looking forward to running some ammo through it.

Kinda sad to hear they were a no show at the Shot Show.

15. hexcentric1

hexcentric1 Guest

From what I have gathered, Steyr did not intend to go dealer direct only, but that's what's going to happen. They began selling direct to dealers while undercutting distributor pricing. As a result all major distributors have dropped Steyr product.

Steyr seems to build nice stuff but they keep shooting themselves in the foot. They do not have nearly the market clout (like Sig) to go dealer direct, nor do they have the advertising engine required.

So what you will likely see is a rise in price and drop in availability.

16. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

company keeps running into the ground financially it seems.

17. Ripped

Ripped Guest

m40a1 in stock at cdnn on closeout 349.00 wait a month or two and they will be 299.00..

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

M357-A1's in stock

Just got an email from Eric Manna distributing that they have Steyr M357-A1s in stock with 12-round mags, ready to ship. Checked price: $495.99.

http://www.EricMannaDistributing.com

I love mine, get yours today. You won't regret it.

19. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

If they'd drop the price by $100 I might consider buying one...

20. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

I would say the Steyr M357-A1 is the best one to try and get ahold of now. Very limited and hardest to get out of any model A1. I'm glad I picked mine up two months ago. Still haven't had a chance to fire it, but I may not fire it at all if the rumor of Steyr going under is true or not (I will leave it in the box in mint condition). I may pick up the M9 version at my local gun shop also.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin