Is something broken?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Feral, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Feral

Feral New Member

So I was getting my M9A1 ready for work. I slammed the magazine into the pistol (overly hard, but not softly), and the slide released by itself and chambered a round.

1) Do other peoples M9A1 exhibit this behavior?

2) Is something broke (if so, what), and does it pose a hazard of any kind.

2. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Nope nothing broken....this phenom has been posted on numerous times. Its happened to me once, I would actually like it to happen all the time but whatever....luck of the draw...

3. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

This sometimes happens on my M40-A1 also. It definitely surprised me the first time it happened.

I'm not sure it's a good thing as I'm sure this isn't by design.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

As they say at Microsoft, it's not a bug, it's a feature! This has been reported by several users of not only Steyr but other auto pistols. Never happened to me, but then I don't slam my mags in hard. It certainly speeds up the reload process, taking out one complete step, having to trip the slide release. If you're shooting in competition, it's definitely a feature! :mrgreen:

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Not a problem, that happens to me on occassion with all three M's.....9 and 40.....not always a bad thing when you need a round in the chamber, but can be a little disquieting if you don't expect it.....always keep you finger off the trigger and the muzzle pointed in the appropriate direction.....until youre ready to :wink:

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've seen many handguns do this. Beretta, Glock and a few others. Smith and Wesson even has a note about it in the M&P manual.

Steyr seems to be a bit more prone to this.