is not this the truth.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ripped, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Ripped

Ripped New Member

Saw this and im starting to belive its getting to be realistic.

[​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You ain't kidding! :(

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Just makes me glad I driver a diesel. Gas is still more expensive, but at 44-48 MPG, it doesn't hurt as much!

And before someone mentions hybrids, my 1.9 Turbo GTI cost $6-$8K less than a hybrid...so that's a lot of gas to make up the price difference! :wink:

4. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

Guess it's time to "out" myself. I'll probably be the boards resident liberal. I like high gas prices, it means less SUV's out there driving araound like they own the road. A small price to pay I think.

5. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I only wish that were true. Unfortunately, all statistics show that high gas prices do nothing to deter people from buying and driving their increasingly-larger SUVs.

Such pointless, image vehicles. I knew it was all over the day Lincoln got into the SUV world. And I was right. "Luxury" and "SUV" are two words that should never have been put together.

6. Ripped

Ripped New Member

pretty soon im trading in the Mustang on another Sportbike.. if it gets to 2.50 a gallon.. this is getting insane. Damn Bush Administration.. :roll:

7. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

He's doing it to spite the liberals, taking that "no blood for oil" chant away from us. :)

8. Ripped

Ripped New Member

im going to laugh when the public starts blowing up random gas stations in protest.. i think some idiot would do it once we hit 3 bucks a gallon

9. AMX

AMX New Member

Guys, don't get this wrong, but Americans complaining about fuel prices are, well, ridiculous.

To illustrate the point:
    1€ = 1.2852 US-$
    1 US gallon (liquid) = 3.7854118 l

Now, using an online price guide to find the cheapest gas stations in Vienna...

Normal: 0.889 €/l = ~4.32 $/gallon
    Super: 0.912 €/l = ~4.44 $/gallon
    Diesel: 0.852 €/l = ~4.14 $/gallon

And you guys complain that it might rise to 2.50...

10. Ripped

Ripped New Member

yes. i see your point AMX.. kinda like a pack of cigarettes in Canada being 8 bucks a pack and here they vary from 2.50 TO 3.25.. I guess BUSH the second needs to fund his private wars somehow.. And to think i voted for this prick.

I guess we are somewhat spoiled , we as a society dont take change lightly when it involves our finances. i mean losing or spending money on your own accord is alot different than BIG Brother taking it from you and laughing all the way to the front line.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

This whole fuel prices fiasco is a real problem for me. I am self employed and I use a truck for work which only gets 14 mpg and most work trips are 500+ miles round trip. With no end in sight I only have 2 options. 1) eat it or 2) pass the costs along to my customers which may or may not be an issue.
    I could technically get by with a smaller truck that got better gas mileage BUT in order to get the tax break from it the truck has to be at least 6000 lbs GVWR. (catch22)
    My wife drives an Xterra which is even WORSE at 14 mpg avg. But, we have a large dog and a kid that plays sports yada yada yada.
    She has 6 weeks to go before she graduates from college and when that happens her fuel consumption will drop by at least 75% but for now fuel cost is a regular topic of conversation at the dinner table.

When/if it starts cutting into my guns/ammo budget I'm really going to be pissed. :evil:

12. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Whoa - where are you buying your smokes? I guess Florida is cheap.....

Here in AZ, smokes are about $4.50/pack. When I lived in NY, they were a little higher, sometimes over $5.

In the five boroughs of NYC, they are about $9/pack. Some places over $10.

I buy my smokes on the internet, and switched to a generic brand. No way am I paying $150/month just to kill myself :). I'll do it for $17/carton, thank you very much. lol.

13. Ripped

Ripped New Member

most gas stations have marlboro smokes for 24.99 +tax...

i got to the local indian reservation and gettem for 22.75 and pay no tax .. :) round 2.13 a pack.. woot

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, many folks in NYC can usually get their cigs for $5/pack from the guy walking around with a big bookbag! :lol:

15. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

I roll my own. Much cheaper and the tobacco's tons better.

16. Matches

Matches New Member

I gave up smoking five years ago. It was costing too much for so little in return: Hacking cough, foul breath, freezing your ass off standing outside during a smoke break. Now my chances of quitting driving are as good as me quitting breathing. I didnt vote for Bush (or his dad for that matter), but the" majority" of the voting public did and now we all get to deal with it. four more years of Bush and his big business oil cronies getting rich of the working man. If the Dems run anybody with a pulse I dont see how they can lose in 2008. Just my 2 cents.

Matches

17. Guest

Guest Guest

YA gas prices suck big time. I wish they were lower, but until we can start getting more oil from somewhere I would look for it to change too much. I wish they could get more oil out Iraq!! That might help a lot.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

19. Alabama

Alabama New Member

Out yourselves all you like, you're not alone. The problem, IMO, isn't the gas that fuels our vehicles. I'd love to quit putting my skin in the hands of morons who don't use blinkers, care where I am on the road or about the safety of their own passengers, much less mine, but I've got to be at work in the morning and I'd rather not spend the night there. The scary answers to the scary questions center on what'll happen when the price of oil trickles down to the oil-dependant industries. Oil is used to make everything you wear, everything you use and to ship everything not made of nylon, rayon, plastic or other synthetic, oil-derivitave petrochemicals, and everything that is, and it unfortunately affects every other aspect of our economy. As the demand for oil continues to skyrocket, as the IMF predicted last week, due to emerging economies in the far east, expect huge jumps in prices in everything from clothing to plastic utensils, anything shipped overland, by air or by sea, anything with plastic packaging or anything manufactured using oil as an energy source. Expect whole industries to collapse under the increasing cost of manufacturing, packaging and shipping. Quit looking for fresh fruit in the grocery store -- they won't be able to afford to ship it to your neighborhood. Forget vacation: You can't afford to fly anymore, and without easy transportation the out-of-the-way places you'd want to go will be just that, too out of the way to get to and starved of operating capital if you can. If that doesn't depress you, figger too that expanding alternative energy production infrastructure at some point, experts say, ends up costing more energy that it makes due to rising costs in, you guessed it, the oil industry. Takes a lot of oil to manufacture those high-tech windmills and neato hydrogen units, not to mention the construction cost to build a facility using existing, oil-based methods. Seems like no matter what we do or how far we come we're still vindicated in wondering when the day will come we'll have to get up off our porch like Max and go grab the leathers out of the chest in the bedroom. Whoops, I forgot, Max isn't mad anymore, he found another passion...
    Selah