IPSC or IDPA Range Shoes

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by midtnshooter, Feb 9, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Can anyone recommend a good pair of range shoes. I have seen some wearing football cleats. Any recommendations? Anyone ? Anyone?

Take Care All,

MidTNShooter

2. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

cleats are no go for idpa.
    just wear your favorite hiking boots and leave the specialty footwear for the bowling alley and ipsc :lol:

3. midtnshooter

What's Wrong With IPSC, I know the answer to bowling..... wait, at least you can drink at the bowling range! Actually I was thinking about turf shoes, comfy, stylish and... oh yeah...has traction. If I wanted to go hiking, I would go hiking or shoot some more IDPA. At least with IDPA, I can shoot without pissing.off the ranger.

I did see the combat boots recommendation. They have great ankle supports, some added traction + they have these really cool laces that will take me all but twenty minutes to lace up.

Thanks All For Your Support,

MTS

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *TN* :)

Snow, mud, sand, or pavement?

Wulf

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'm not talking about IPSC here, but when I'm at my buddy's farm I practice shooting barefoot. The only time I have ever raised my gun ready to shoot another human being I was barefoot. If I'm up in the middle of the night with an intruder I doubt I'll stop to put my shoes on ;-))

Buzz

6. midtnshooter

Hey There Wulf !

Well hopefully I won't need to shoot in snow, but never know. Our range is mainly gravel, but other courses consist of dirt/mud.

Take Care,

MTS

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Then somethin' broke-in, light and comfy, and with good traction. <shrug> If'n ya got somethin' like that then that's what I'd wear when it comes time to suit up for the big game. G'luck. :)

Wulf

8. midtnshooter

:lol: Yeah I know. It's like photography (NO CAT PICTURES !!!) . Someone says they want a camera that will capture close up, but also something that will shoot (aha) a great 100 yard closeup. You have to ask yourself "What is it you want? A macro lense (mud shoes) or a telephoto lense (turf shoes) " Hell- we can't have everything in one package!"

Did you see my set-up?

Did semi-good this weekend. The sights were a-little off, but I tried to compensate. I know they always say DON'T COMPENSATE, ADJUST. But I didn't really have enough time.

As for those who don't know or understand, go to this website for what Wulf did to give life to Steyr and fiber optics.

I think they will work, but will need a little adjustments. I will drill out my original sights and do the same. I will send them back to you and see what you think.

Do you think we can mass produce them for the club?

Tell Deluxe to help us out.

Wulf sights can be seen here http://www.lgsto.com/images/the%20gear.htm

Thanks For Your Help !

Have You Thought About Retro-ing the Steyr For Magazine Ports?

Take Care My Friend,

MTS

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Whatever the sights, they'll take practice gettin' used to. The reason I didn't go with that sight was it only projected to the shooter a "dot" outlined by the triangular housing. That's what led me to the HiViz triangular litepipes like they use on their shotgun sights. Also, I found that larger litepipes worked better than the smaller ones did. The one I sent you that armoured used is too small, IMHO. What would be perfect is for the stockers to work just as well in daylight as in no light. That's what I'm still workin' to accomplish. If I can get Steyr-Mannlicher's support with Trijicon backing me, it'll happen, no worries. And, perhaps even quicker if Herr Holzschuh can see the light himself. <wink> Anyway, keep practicin' but before ya give up on the litepipe trials, get a bigger litepipe (contact Bryce Dunn--HiViz shooting systems) and get some of the larger green litepipes to try. You'll hafta drill the front housing out to accommodate a larger diameter litepipe, but I think it'll work better for ya. G'luck. :p

Wulf

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Wear what you would normally wear on the street. Adds to the realism.

11. midtnshooter

Hey All,

As a follow up on this whole shoe issue. Saturday and Sunday we had our monthly competition and it was really WET (just quit raining after we arrived). The gravel was okay, grass was slippery and water puddles that would drown kittens. The soccer (Nike) shoes were water proof (no soggy socks) while the cleats kept me from slipping in the mud. There were shooters in tennis shoes who fell at multiple points and boots that simply slowed there times down. Good thing for the day.........NO DQ's ! Yee Haww!

Take Care,

MTS