interesting problem with my M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by infrangible, Jan 15, 2007.

1. infrangible

infrangible Guest

I've had my M40 here for a while, and haven't had any serious problems with it (it does throw the occasional shell at my head now and then). then the other day It jammed up. I was a little surprised. it was jammed in a way that I couldn't pull the slide back to clear the jam. it was stuck shut. So I let it sit for a while(just incase there was something live still in it) and carefully pulled the slide off. it took some doing, but I finally managed to get the barrel free of the slide and inside was a spent casing. Nothing looked wrong with the casing at all. I was using CCI blazer (the brass stuff) when it happened the first time. then I had it happen two more times. once with Remmington, and once with Winchester white. all of these were FMJ.
    I am not sure exactly what is causing this. My first thought was the extractor issue that people have been having, as all the lugs on the barrel and everything in the frame looks pretty much like new. I pulled the extractor out and cleaned and oiled it, and the channel it goes in thoroughly after the first time it happened. I am thinking I should call Steyr for a send in, but I thought I'd check with you folks first.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

only time I have had a lockup was when I inserted a fired empty casing into the chamber. it locked up real good. best method was tapping wooden dowel down the barrel and pulling the slide. pushing hood of the barrel down also.

how many rounds through the gun?
    have the LCI installed does it have a burr?

sending in would be good idea.

3. infrangible

infrangible Guest

I have about 2500 rounds through it. I'll assume that means Loaded chamber indicator. I'll have to check that, But I don't recall seeing anything last time I did a tear down. Anyway, I think I'll give Steyr a call tomorrow and see what they say about it.

4. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

so what happened exactly? :?

The worst jam I had was when the fired case didn't leave thre barrel with a next round pinned into it (slide open). Is that what happened with your gun?

5. infrangible

infrangible Guest

No. it would fire a round and the empty case would be left in then chamber.
    I am thinking that it's not being ejected and is just rechambered. When it does this, the slide gets stuck shut. I have to take the slide off, and tease the barrel out to get the empty shell out. I am pretty sure this is an ejector problem, because if it wasn't, I'd think the shell would be ejected rather than rechambered.

6. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I had some reloads that didn't have the primer set properly quite all the way in.
    So they would take two hits of the firing pin to ignite (the first would just push the primer all the way in place and leave a dimple).

But every time this happened (slide closed on a live round, weapon not cocked as I had just pulled the trigger) it was really difficult to get the slide open. I have some guns that have very stiff springs but this was something quite else. I resorted to pushing the slide against a corner of a table to get the slide open as even with gloves on I just couldn't pull it open by hand.

So it seems to be some kind of strange "feature" that it "locks up" like this on a live round or an empty if it has failed to eject and is fed back into the chamber?
    Or maybe your case never left the chamber in the first place, the slide just didn't move at all (case stuck in chamber)?

7. infrangible

infrangible Guest

it might be that the case was stuck in chamber. I doesn't seem to be stuck when I pull the barrel out. I can pull the case out easily. It seems to only be empty cases left in there when I jams stuck. It really jams, not just spring tension either. It seems that the barrel is hanging up somewhere and won't disengage the lugs while the slide is on.

8. infrangible

infrangible Guest

So, I just spoke with someone over at SAI, and I was very happy with their customer service. I told them what was happening and he gave me a hearty chuckle and said "what you talking about? Steyr's don't have any problems!" He then told me to send it in right away. Good to know that they want to please their customers. Not the waving warranty I have experienced with other firearms manufacturers.

oh, and it is friggen spendy to send a handgun. cost me 55 bucks. :evil: