Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am considering working up a prototype magazine extension for the new 17 round Steyr magazines, conceptually similar to what Arredondo already makes for Glock, that would bring the total capacity to around 20-21+ rounds. I figure that the largest market is the membership on this forum, so I thought I would put the feelers out here. If I go forward witht his, I will be applying for vendor membership with the site and will offer them for sale directly through the forum.

So, if such a product were available, at a price point in the $40 range (comparable to the Arredondo product), who would be interested? Of those interested, how many units would you be likely to purchase? Lastly, while I don't play gun golf myself, I know that many competitive shooting organizations have a maximum magazine length; what would be the preferred total magazine length with extension installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am definitely interested, for competition. I 3Gun, multigun, and shoot USPSA Prod, but can shoot LIM.

Look up the current USPSA LIM mag guidelines. IIRC, 140mm, but that might be IPSC.

I would be definitely use them for the night matches, also.

They would have to run 100% and have a very good retention system for the basepad. I am known for breaking almost everything, and have already broken 2 17rnd magazines and a Steyr 9mm.

So, make it indestructable and effective, and I'll buy it.

I can tell you all the other categories of firearm owners like the OCD ones, or TACTICAL NINJA ones, will want the extra firepower, also.

Btw, PM sent.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't competition shoot, but I am interested. I pretty much only target shoot for fun and skill level competency. My needs are met with a standard magazine. Honestly, If I can't hit my target with more than 1, maybe 2 shots I think I need to practice more. (I account for the 2nd being a high stress moment.)

I would be interested in a higher capacity magazine for the SHTF scenario. As for a price point of $40, I think this is fair for what I know of magazines. I (at this time) have no favorites for magazines, nor do I have any special knowledge about them. :) (But willing to learn)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So....

I got some preliminary design work up done, en route to a prototype, but I am not feeling overwhelmed by the interest level. To work this thing up right would likely require an investment of thousands of dollars on my part; right now, based on the views to posts ratio, it looks like less than 3% of the people who had enough interest to view the thread were then interested enough to even post on the thread.

Should I take this as a sign and move along?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The thing is this forum has a lot of lurkers and constantly has a bunch of new members. Steyrs are just catching on because they JUST came back to the US in 2010. If you check out the new posts from newbies you will see a lot of new interest.

So most people haven't found the forum and are finding it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i'll probably just stick with my 32rnd modified BHP mags... but, if the quality of the prototype is real clean and looks good. i would consider it. I for one would like to see a video test fire!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure where this will end up going.....the preliminary design for a working prototype still needs some tweaking to get it machinable, and would likely run about $500 to produce, before I figure in the cost of a custom +10% power spring, which I will assume will be another $200-$400. So, easily a grand to cover the cost of a prototype, assuming that I get everything right on the first try. Then the production run....$$$$. At the profit margins I will likely see on this, I am unlikely to break even until I sell something like 1000 units. Given that xthexheadx's modified BHP mags are cheaper, hold more, and just as good for non-competitive use, I'm not sure the market exists for this product to sell in the volume I would need it to. How many competitive shooters are running Steyrs instead of Glocks?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Warning: Unsolicited Advice follows!

You probably ought to think about using a Wolff spring rather than a custom spring. I'll bet you can find one almost perfect for the application. BT was looking a tig welding up a mag, but it was a little too tough to do with the thin mag metal IIRC. Look also at Mecgar mags for other weapons - the difference is almost totally in the mag retention latch opening. For the M&P hack I just enlarged the opening - today, I'd be a little more circumspect, but that was the only necessary change. You might look at annealing the metal on the lower end, spreading the lips to match the arredondo pads for the M&Ps, and go for it.

In my case, I used them in my M&P -> M40-A1 mag hack to get 19 rounds of .40. The Sigma springs worked well in those hacks too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would go for at least one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warning: Unsolicited Advice follows!

You probably ought to think about using a Wolff spring rather than a custom spring. I'll bet you can find one almost perfect for the application. BT was looking a tig welding up a mag, but it was a little too tough to do with the thin mag metal IIRC. Look also at Mecgar mags for other weapons - the difference is almost totally in the mag retention latch opening. For the M&P hack I just enlarged the opening - today, I'd be a little more circumspect, but that was the only necessary change. You might look at annealing the metal on the lower end, spreading the lips to match the arredondo pads for the M&Ps, and go for it.

In my case, I used them in my M&P -> M40-A1 mag hack to get 19 rounds of .40. The Sigma springs worked well in those hacks too.
Wolff was where I went first. They don't make one for the Steyr, and I hadn't really considered looking at XD, BHP or M&P springs; especially after I saw how the follower and retaining plate were affixed to the spring on our mags. The thing is, while I applaud the idea of mag hacks, and have done and plan to do more of the BHP mods, I feel like what I would likely end up with is a product that the customer either wouldn't buy, because they could do it themselves, or something that they would feel cheated by once they see that it is a hack....maybe not.

I have another project that I am working that will likely prove to be more marketable, and simultaneously a bit less costly to prototype, so I may work on that first and then move on to the mag extensions. Honestly, while I knew prototyping was expensive, when I saw that the stereolithography rapid prototype (non-functional proof of concept) would run me close to $300, then another $500 for the "working" prototype, plus unknown costs for the springs, I started to wonder if it was the simple starter project that I thought it would be, especially if you factor in the marketing issue. These won't offer anything over the BHP mag for the average user wanting to replicate the Glock "happy stick" experience with their Steyr; the real market is competitive shooters, as they have magazine length limitations to stay under. I just don't know if there are enough competitive shooters using Steyrs yet to justify the prototyping cost. Right now the impression is that I would have to sell them at a $60+ price point to be able to make back the initial outlay, due to the low volume.

I'm not totally giving up, but I am not sold on the idea right now. I will take a look into whether there is a spring for another pistol that will work for this application. That could change things quite a bit for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd be more interested in mag extensions for my M40. As it stands if I want to shoot USPSA events with my Steyr I have no choice but to enter Limited 10. I love my gun but with the plethora of firearms available with aftermarket parts already in production it doesn't make sense to try to go with the Steyr in competition. I shoot Limited Major and have no interest in joining the 9mm masses at our local events. Even with somewhat proven Sigma and M&P hacks, I still don't want to risk a stage on a hacked mag malfunctioning. Perhaps you might consider a mag well that would at least aid in mag change speeds. My local guys will machine one up custom but it's cost prohibitive and again, I'm not really interested in shooting Limited 10. BTW I have 5 mags for my gun and would need 5 extensions to compete with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just out of curiosity, Lifeislarge, did Steyr release an increased capacity mag for the M40, or, will an M9 Mag with an M40 follower work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as my extensive research has taken me, there is no extended mag in existence for the M40. It is perhaps the only thing that is preventing the Steyr pistols from becoming mainstream. There is a distinct lack of aftermarket parts, accessories and add-ons for the M40 and it gets me irritated to the point of contention. If I had a machine shop at my disposal my gun would already have trap sights with fiber optics, a mag well, and several extended magazines. It would have the slide lightened, a trigger job, extended mag release and maybe a ported barrel. But I don't, so instead I will continue to fill my stupid 10 round mags and take solace in plinking steel at 80 yards. :wall:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts