Installed the new style extractor... (more photos added)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I received the new extractor fix kit couple of days ago. It included the new extractor, (all round) pin, spring and an ejector. The pin is the same as my old one, but the spring is one coil longer. The extractor is different in shape as well. When installed the extractor sits higher then the slide, not flush fit like the old one. (I posted a photo in another thread). Now about the ejector; the end that contacts the case has an angle to it, where the old one is flat/straight.

I replaced the extractor parts (but left the old ejector in) and had a chance to shoot a box (50) of Remington (124gr FMJ). Decided to try the tapping technique; with one magazine I tapped the ammo to the back had no malfunctions, than I loaded and tapped a new magazine but this time I tapped the ammo to the front of a magazine, again no malfunctions. The rest of the box I loaded as usual (no tapping). Everything worked fine and ejection was consistent.

I have to admit with my old extractor I only had one FTE in ~400 rounds of factory ammo. But had constant malfunctions with reloads (in 600 rounds). Since I ran out of reloading supplies I can’t test that load, but will get more supplies some time in November.

2. hihoslva

hihoslva Guest

Some people complain about it, but I've always believed - and been taught - that a properly-loaded magazine should be rapped against the palm of the hand to seat the rounds to the rear of the mag body.

In fact, the owners' manual of a Walther P22 will explicity instruct the user to do this.

For some reason, I've run across people who get upset that this should be done - I don't understand that.

I pack my smokes, and I pack my mags. :lol:

Glad the new extractor is working out for ya'.

3. mikey

mikey Guest

Just got a quick question for you, Gray_Wolf. :)

A few weeks ago, there was a big ta-doo about Steyr no longer selling individual parts to consumers. I was a little ticked at this, and that's why (ultimately) I chose to send my M40 back to Steyr for a new extractor.

However, from the sounds of it, you got your parts from Steyr with no problems?

I'm just curious what Steyr's spare parts policy really is right now. Do they, or don't they????

4. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I think I do; the reason for this is that most guns don’t require this, which would make the guns that do inferior in a way; I’ve never done that with my 92FS and it always forked fine, and hopefully I won’t have to do it with the Steyr… P22 in not a combat gun, so I guess 100% reliability is not crucial. Plus I think that P22 being a rimfire has something to do with the tapping advice.

to be honest I don't now...I got the parts from Steyr in Austria

I contacted the Steyr Arms (US) but they wouldn't deal with me since I'm from Canada. They gave me contact info of the Can. Steyr distributor who in turn suggested I contact Steyr in Austria. Canadian distributor doesn’t stock parts for some reason and was switching from dealing with Steyr Arms in US to dealing directly with Austria…Anyways I contacted Steyr explained the problem and one week later I had the parts in my mailbox. :)

here are some photos

new extractor, ejector, pin& spring
    [​IMG]
    new pin& spring next to the old one
    [​IMG]

5. mikey

mikey Guest

Thank you, Gray_Wolf! Getting the parts from Austria at least allowed you to compare the old parts to the new ones. That's something valuable!

And yes, the "new" (longer) extractor spring is an interesting upgrade. Looks like some of the Steyr "Gurus" on this board had the problem solved even before Steyr's own engineers figured it out!

Can't tell much from the extractor photo, though. Looks (to me) pretty much like the old one. Mine, though (as I noted in another thread) does NOT protrude from the slide as your new one does. I still can't say, however, if that's because they dropped in a older-type extractor on me (not a big deal, since it seems to work perfectly) or if the M9 and M40 extractors are physically different.

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

here are some more photos. as you can see the claw on the new extractor has more curve to it;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mikey

mikey Guest

Those are nice, sharp photos. And, looking at the second and third shots, it's obvious that my new extractor is different from yours. Yours has a circular "dimple" (casting mark?) along the face of the extractor. Mine just has faint machining marks - no "dimple" whatsoever.

Again, no biggie - except that you probably did get one of the "new" design extractors, while mine (though certainly "new") was likely the older design.

8. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I just looked at my old extractor and it also has that circular indent in the same place…

9. mikey

mikey Guest

Whoops . . . okay, I guessed wrong. :wink:

I wonder if the dimple is some kind of M9 identification mark (to prevent confusion with M40 extractors)?

10. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I spoke to Jeff today, he told be the new extractors he received don’t have that curve that mine does, and they don't stick out like mine… :?

so mikey I guess you probably did get a new extractor.

btw I removed the extractor and installed it again and it still look the same. So I doubt think I installed it incorrectly..

Edit: does anyone else have any explanations/ comments about the extractor, so far only two guys in 370+ views responded...

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Wolf :)

Hey, Bro...you got somethin' wrong, Bigtime...mismatched parts most likely. There is no way in Hell that the extractor could be properly seated positioned as it is in your pic, not slightly countersunk and not parrallel to the slide. <shrug> No Steyr engineer would have let that get through the design stages far enough along in the creative process to have let the parts go to production, IMHO. 8-O Nuff said. Good luck with it.

Wulf

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Hey Wulf

I'm now 100% positive that I didn't mismatch any parts, and that the extractor could NOT be installed differently.

I removed the extractor and took some pics comparing the new and the old parts;

As you can see the extractor is sticking out even without the pin installed!

[​IMG]

This photo shows why the new extractor is not flush with the slide...

[​IMG]

The curve in the new extractor is clearly visible in this photo.

[​IMG]

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Excellent photos, *Wolf 8)

I have 2 extra extractors and they are definitely the "older" style. Based on your photos, I'm wondering why the new style extractor isn't just machined to fit flush like all 3 of my extractors do when I install them. <shrug> Is it essential that the new style protrudes at an angle when installed for the extractor "fix", or is it just unfinished and can yet be refined for the flush fit? That's what I'd like to know now. :? Anybody got a clue? 8-O

Wulf

14. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Jeff at Stery saw the photos, he said that the extractors he got are different him what I got… He didn’t think it was normal, but said if it works fine it’s probably OK...

I also emailed the person from Austria that sent me the extractor. He said that it supposed act as a loaded chamber indicator and that it's absolutely normal. Now the consern I have is that the extractor is not flush with the slide even when the gun is unloaded. The extractor does rise a LITTLE more when there is a round chambered, but I doubt I would be able to tell one from the other just by feel.

the only possible extlanation that I have is that I got a .40/357 extractor for my M9-A1 :?

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Wolf :)

That's what I meant by "mismatched". <shrug> But, I only have an M357-A1 and no M9's around, that I know of, to compare 'em with. Wish I could be more help. I really would like to get to the crux of the apostrophe. :p Keep us up to date.

Wulf

16. scoutdawg55

scoutdawg55 Guest

As mentioned earlier, GREAT PUCTURES! I too have an extraction issue and would like to know the e mail address you used and also the cost of the kit you received. Thanks!

17. armored

armored New Member

Gray_wolf lives in Canada. His service center is differant than the USA. I assume you live in the USA,if so you need to contact Steyr USA. There address and phone number is posted on this forum. If your having problems you should call Steyr and talk with Jeff the Gunsmith. He will direct you in the most efficent path to getting your problem resolved.

18. batoncolle

batoncolle New Member

I have an S9 sitting at Steyr US right now waiting on the new extractors. They are expecting them in from Austria at the end of October or first of November.

19. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

^ I wonder if they going to be the same as mine. I talked to Jeff he said the few he had were different than mine... :?

scoutdawg55, armored is right; your best bet would be to contact Jack or Jeff at Steyr US, I had to go a different route because Steyr in US doesn't deal with people outside US.

20. jsbautista08

jsbautista08 New Member

Hey guys, would you mind re-posting the photos? I want to check if I have the new or old extractor. Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!