Insight X2 for my M-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by nc_gunner, Mar 5, 2007.

1. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

I'm looking at tactical light and laser combos for my M40, and since this will be my first experience with laser sights, I thought I'd see what brands other people are using on their pistols. I'm looking at the Insight X2 Laser SubCompact because of the price vs features. Insight also makes an M6 that's larger but more expensive. Another option is the Streamlight TLR-2, but again, the price is pretty high. Impactguns.com shows the X2 Laser for $164, the M6 is $250, and the Streamlight TLR-2 goes for about $250 as well.

I'm primarily interested in the laser, but a light seems like a good idea as well, so I decided on a combo unit. Anybody using these units on their Ms or does anyone recommend a different brand?

2. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

BUMP and update.

I'm hoping someone would be willing to give a bit of free advice to the noob.

After some looking around, I decided that I'd pick up a basic laser (no light combo) and bought a Laserlyte universal unit from CheaperThanDirt. Got the one with the pressure switch on a cord and that was a mistake. The Laserlyte combo (model 0635) didn't come with a standard switch backplate, just the corded pressure unit. No way to reasonably mount it on a pistol, and the cord was still in the way on my M4 rifle when I tried to mount it there instead. Gave up an am RMAing it. Has anyone got a Streamlight TLR-2 or an Insight M6/X2L? Anyone at all?

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey nc_gunner!

I've gotta M6! Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can find good used ones on ebay.
    _______
    mugdava

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M6X is the way to go, IMHO.

5. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

Dava and Syntax, thanks for the images and the info. Looks great and the M6 is smaller than it looked in pictures. I was thinking that it was going to hang out way too much, but it looks pretty normal in those shots, very little overhang. I'll probably place my order for an M6 shortly, just gotta get a few other accessories along the way (Hogue grips, etc).

Do you notice any significant fouling on the lens of the light, or is it fairly protected from the gases and pretty immune to issues like fouling and/or heat?

Thanks again for the help!

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've never had any issues with the light. If you blast a lot of rounds through with it on, it can get a mild smokey film that wipes right off with a paper towel (or finger, etc.). I usually run mine under the faucet when I get home (don't know if you can do that with the M6) and it's good to go.

It doesn't protrude out much and I think the gun looks almost naked without the light. It looks even cooler with the threaded barrel/thread protector - I hope to have pics of that up next week.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I wanted the light and not the laser, so I went the other way, just a regular TLR1 because I wanted an LED lamp. No recoil prone lamp failurs, no laser..

[​IMG]

Not as sexy as Syntax's, I'll admit.