Info on IDPA?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by JaegerWulf, Aug 23, 2008.

1. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

I've looked at the IDPA site, and I'm mid way through reading their rule book. But, as I can't find a forum devoted to IDPA, I have a lot of unanswered questions.

Anyone have any idea on how IDPA works? I know what types of contests and scenarios they have. But, for instance, after paying my yearly 40 dollars, do I still have to pay match fees? What is the benefit to joining if I still have to pay full priced match fees. Can I be in a match without being a member? How does the overall contest work? I noticed that there are local
    "regional" matches and that there is a "nationals" competition. How does one get to the nationals? Do you have to qualify in a regional? If there is a regional coming up, can I shoot a classification score before hand? Or are they schedules way before and therefore I am @#%t out of luck to fire in this next competition? Et Cetera.

Any info would be great. I've looked through their website and like the idea of a practical shooting competition to hone my conceal carry skills. I just have no idea how it works.

2. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/bidpaforum

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Yes. There is sometimes a discount to IDPA members, but the range fee covers match expenses (targets, upkeep, etc).

Yes you can shoot in match w/o being a member. Although IDPA has a "policy" of needing to join after first match, I've never heard of it being enforced.

Limited to 250 entries on a first come/first served basis. All applicants must be current IDPA members with a classification of Marksman or higher and have shot TWO sanctioned IDPA matches between June 1, 2007 and June 1, 2008.

For State matches and higher, you must shoot a classifier first, and be classified to at least Marksman level. Classifiers are shot at local clubs, and you need to be an IDPA member before you shoot the classifier. I advise you to approach the classifier with some humility, the classifier involves shooting in ways that most range shooters have not tried before.

Find a local match and go. You need a pistol with 3 or more magazines, a holster, 2 mag pouch(s), and a cover garment (loose shirt or jacket/vest). Take about 150 rounds of ammo, but you'll need less than 100.

My advice is to just find one and go, don't "wait and practice until I'm good enough" or other stalling, you likely won't have a good idea on where you are weak and will miss out on the fun in the mean time. Call first to find out about "new shooter orientations". It is a lot of fun!

Ben

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008

3. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Thanks Thai, I have been recently reading some of your posts and trying to digest the different competition shooting groups.
    I find your post worthwhile reading for sure!

4. JaegerWulf

Thank you! I'll get over to those forums when I can get a chance. I most certainly do intend to "just go." I'm in West Texas and there is a local IDPA club that meets every week (according to their website). I only have my Steyr, 2 magazines, and a 12 dollar cheapy generic IWB holster (a tie my over until I can figure out what decent holster to get). I'll run over to club today and find out what I need to do.

Thanks again for the info!

5. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member

good info. ive been wanting to check it out. do they allow observers?

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

If they don't, stay away from that club. They will welcome you.

There is an admittance fee. Please send the observer fee of $55.37 to ThaiBoxer, at Big Taco's address. I will then return the necessary forms to complete, which you can return with the processing fee of $45.82. No checks.

7. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member

lol benji's ok?

i only ask because i though i remember reading a rule about no dry runs or something

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Benji's are fine at each payment, but our corporate policy does not allow us to give back change. I'm sure you'll understand. Remember, send it to BigTaco, he's my cut-out man.

;)

the dry runs have to do with "air gunning", which is walking through and mapping steps while making "bang-bang" gestures and choreographing the whole run. That is expected in IPSC, and repugnant to IDPA.

9. JaegerWulf

Well I went to our local club and talked with the fat man (this guy is huge obese... don't know why I bring that up... hmm... Just kind of hard to take him seriously when he talks about being tactical...).

The first time I talked to this guy (a while back, when I first started looking for Steyrs), I asked him if he had any Steyrs in stock. I had been able to find the occasional one or two in local stores and wanted to know if he had one (in order to price check). He immediately said that he didn't stock crap weapons such as Steyr, Kel-tec, etc. I started to zone out and didn't really pay attention to him. His demeanor was a bit elitist... Similar to some staunch D&D uber-nerds that I have met in the past (not your normal board game nerd... the kind of nerd that has given up on women and people and only identify as elitist board gamers). To put it shortly, the guy was a prick.

So! With much trepidation, I went back there and spoke with the guy. He is store owner and runs the IDPA club here in town. I was surprised! He was very cordial and polite this time. He said that I ought to come to the Tuesday night plate shoots to get familiar with the firearm and hire a $25 hour lesson from a trainer to get familiar with safety and how to shoot (which I might do, not sure yet). The IDPA club matches were on Saturday and I was welcome to come then. He said not to worry about being new to shooting, that I would feel welcome there. The range is an indoor range and the cost for each match shoot was 15 dollars (normal range fees are 10 dollars a day).

All in all it was a good experience and I got a lot of good information. The one thing that set me off was when I asked if he carried Walthers (my wife is looking for a PPS). He immediately got a serious look on his face and stated the following: "I only carry tactical firearms, serious firearms. There are only three types of firearms that are tactical and worth having, Glocks, Springfield XDs, and 1911s, everything else is worthless." Umm.. hmm... he knew I carried a Steyr... interesting... I'm inclined not to trust the guy on that statement alone. Sure enough, his shop only carried those weapons, nothing else.

Alas.... any reaction to what this guy said? Any thoughts? I spoke with a good friend of mine who said that this local club is crap. He didn't speed poorly of IDPA, just the people here at the local club. He, instead, pointed me to the West Texas Practical Shooters (part of USPSA). I haven't heard of USPSA, so no idea on that side either. Oh well, what do you all think?

10. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

"Prick" is being nice. If you have a love of a certain firearm (Steyr) then promote it. But I would be careful to damn any other kind or brand. As you point out, after your initial meet and greet you were reluctant to do business with the fat a$$.
    I don't have any love of blocks but I don't go around and tell everyone about it.
    People like him have in my opinion a low IQ and zero thought as they just repeat what has been said to them before.

I think its funny that when you came back how he graciously offered the services of the range and even a instructor for bargain prices.

Be the better person and don't sink to his level. Try the other group mentioned. Heck, even try to make a friend with your PD or sheriff, tell them you want to learn the right way and watch there reaction. :D

Keep us posted!!

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

No offense to anyone here who may be in the biz, but there are a disproportionate number of goofy dipsticks in the gunstore biz.

JMO,

Ben

12. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Ben, I am reading much, retaining some.
    What is your take on IDPA vs USPSA vs IPSC.
    Reply direct if you want but I think the forum would like to read it too.

[email protected]

13. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Thanks Ben!!
    Lots more good reading.
    I think what will determine what I choose will be convence over all else.
    I have a local IDPA course that I will check out as my work schedule permits.
    I work Tues-Sat.

Thanks again!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Richard, happy to help encourage a new pistol gamer.

I do think IDPA is a bit friendlier to the beginner, since the stages are more regulated and laid out, with fewer mag changes and less problem solving. IDPA matches seem to have more regular folks and fewer competition-driven gun gamer guys. I've pretty much become a competition-driven gun gamer guy.

I've shot a lot more and won some since Big Taco and I wrote those exchanges. I love both of the games, and my reasons for liking them are pretty well the same, while the things I disliked in each no longer bother me.

Ben

15. JaegerWulf

The part that I like about IDPA is that I can just go and use my Steyr as it is. I don't have to get a modded pistol. I'm told that USPSA has a stock pistol section, so I will check that out too.

GREAT NEWS!!! I'm finishing out my degree in Lubbock at Texas Tech University (I'm on the 8 year program... long story). Enshallah, I will graduate this December. My friend who has been encouraging me to check out the USPSA encouraged me to join Tech's shooting club, The Grey Scouts. I had no idea they had one!!! I mean, seriously!!! How long have I been going to this darned school (well, not continuously, but still)?

Turns out the rifle - pistol team is run through the Army ROTC program but is specifically open to all students of Texas Tech. I ran by there and dropped my name off to a Lt. Col. and he said he'd get back to me. I'll let you guys know how it goes on that part as well. I only have one semester to participate with them, but it should be fun (I might be able to get range fees paid for this way... and shoot for free!).

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The Steyr has 2 competitive places in USPA, IMO. Production class, with a 9mm or weak .40 ammo, or Limited-10 with Major PF .40 ammo, or maybe .357 Sig. The lower mag capacity limits in .40 and .357 kick it out of competition with 21 shot Ltd guns.