Inconsistent brass ejection with M9-A1

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Gray_Wolf, Jul 5, 2006.

is your Steyr the same? (read below first)

1. Yes, pretty much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, always consistent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Shot another 150 rounds though my new Steyr a couple of days ago. (50 WWB, 50 Rem, and a box of reloads)

basically everything was the same as before factory ammo functioned fine and (same) reloads jammed (FTEs) again... :?

I noticed though that the brass didn't eject consistently to the right (incl. factory ammo); some ejected straight up or back most lending on my chest, a few even went left 8-O. The once that ejected to the right weren't consistent either; some flew out with more force than others. Reloads were even worse.

Are all Steyrs like this or do I have an extractor problem? If so should I be thinking of sending in back to have it fixed?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

The inconsistant extraction is a problem that is indeed known to Steyr and they are addressing the issue. Spent brass in the face is something they are not taking lightly. Look for some small changes in the not too distant future...or so I've been told. <shrug> :wink:

Wulf

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

so what does this mean for me?

what should I do :?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

How many total rounds thru the pistol?

I've heard it's fairly common out of the box, but sometimes remedies itself after 300 to 500 rounds FWIW.

If you're beyond that kind of round count, I'd send it back.

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

about 450 rounds; (200-250 factory the rest are reloads)

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I second LH2's suggestion - I seem to recall my Steyr was all over the world until a hair after 500 rounds. She's stone cold reliable and consistent as can be now, and I couldn't be happier. They just need a decent break in period.

7. celsee

celsee Guest

Could you post info on factory rounds; manufacturer, bullet weight, etc.

On handloads; type case, primer; type powder and how much, type bullet and weight; overall length?

Have you tried different bullet and powder weights? need to find out why reloads different from factory. Do you load hot?

Several steyroids did have their guns smooth out after 500+ rounds; some of us did not. I had fte's with all types ammo (factory and handload), and brass thrown all over the place..... Took the advice on SteyrClub and stiffened my extractor spring.

Before spring stiffened approx. 3 fte's per 50 rounds; NO fte's after (700 rnds and counting!) and my brass now stays in a 4 ft circle to my right.

Do run more rounds thru to see if it will iron out. If you want to try stiffening your spring, one way is to insert a 1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring, trimming length to fit. That's how I did it! :)

Good luck!

8. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

ractory; WWB 115gr FMJ and Remington 115gr MC - functioned fine

reloads; 3.8gr Titegroup, 138gr copper plated bullet, OAL 1.1 to 1.125 -about 3 FTE ber pox

I'm waiting for Power Pistol powder (gunshop has some on order for me). I relaod all my ammo now, so I better find something that works...

btw I emailed a steyr gunsmith about this, haven't heard back yet

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i love it.

most of us have 9mm pistols that work fine. the few that have extraction problems unanimously report that throwing a stiffer extractor spring fixes the problem.

so what does steyr do when they get a 9mm with extraction trouble?

give 'em an m40a1!!!

i can understand that as the ultimate customer service. 100% brand new replacement. i can understand that they don't want to use oddball parts from other manufacturers to rig up a fix.

what i can't understand is why steyr isn't testing, spec'ing and producing they're own stiffer extractor spring for the 9mm!!

(hint: slap a steyr part number on a wolff spring that works)

just a thought.

10. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

which wulf spring can be used in the extractor? price?

also (I don't own a 1911) are all planger springs the same?

btw looks like 4 out of 9 people (that voted) have/had the same problem as I do hmmm :?

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my m9 is flawless so haven't had to deal with this but...

i looked up the old posts from the maintenance forum.

idpasteyr used a spring contained in a spring kit from brownell's.

the spring kit part # is 080-950-300 price: about $20

from this kit, grab the smallest spring. cut it approx. 1/16th of an inch shorter than the factory spring. install. if it won't fit, cut a little more off until it does.

ramshackle used a 1911 plunger spring. there are several manufacturers of plunger springs, or atleast several people selling them with diffeent brownell's part numbers. one of the numbers is: 969-000-124. price: about $3.50

apparently with this one you just drop it inside of the factory spring. revchuck seemed pleased with the results.

haven't tried any of these fixes. can't assess whether they fix my gun cause mine works anyway but... now you know what other people have done. and it worked. and no one came back with trouble.

that's the thing. you wonder how many poeple have fixed their guns this way and just not said anything. hopefully you'll fix yours, mystery readers with problematic ejection. and i'm sure that idpasteyr and ramshackle would be thrilled to hear about your success!!!

12. madecov

madecov Active Member

My M40 was also all over. I had one per magazine that came right back between the eyes. I had a few that actually crossed over the gun and went left :?:

After 500 rounds it settled down into a regular ejection pattern.

My A1 was perfect until about 650 rounds then started to have FTE's. It got worse and Steyr replaced the extractor plunger and spring with the older style beveled plunger. I think the beveled plunger may be a better design in that applies pressure across the entire extractor rather just placing pressure on one central point.

I have not had the time to get out and shoot since it came back.

13. revchuck

revchuck Guest

The plunger spring is too long to fit as is. I cut mine off even with the extractor spring.

Shot a USPSA match with it last weekend. No problems whatsoever (not including my shooting ;) ) using my handloads and mixed brass.