In need of a used Steyr barrel

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Dokbrick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dokbrick

Dokbrick New Member

Hello one and all,

I come to you today in dire need of a used Steyr M9-A1 barrel or M40-A1 barrel. I live in California and therefore can not acquire a Steyr M series pistol without jumping through ridiculous hoops. Part of the challenge of legally getting this pistol would be acquiring a barrel for my FFL to modify to make it compliant with California's single shot exemption pistol laws. Once the barrel is retrofitted to the proper length (10 inches or so) I can then legally have the pistol imported, converted to a single shot pistol (fixed one round magazine) with a long barrel (for length requirements) and then legally convert it back once my 10 day wait is over. Sounds exhausting!

I know Steyr has new barrels for 250 dollars, however, I would like to go about things in a more economical manner. If you have an old barrel that is that worn out or beat to hell, I will buy it. Please help me fulfill my dreams of owning this wonderful pistol.

Thank you all for your time,

Brett

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

How does something like that even work? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to find a source (e.g. IGB) that would make a 10" barrel for the pistol?

3. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

ummm... i've transferred several steyr pistols out to California this year to be converted to single shot weapons. never once has the barrel been an issue, so i'm confused. what type07 FFL are you going through? i'm SURE, if you were to purchase a pistol (from me :thumbsup: ) and i send it out to OC Armory for the conversion, you could save a substantial amount of cash. a few other forum members here have gone through the same process...

4. Branth

Branth New Member

I thought the magazine capacity just had to be less than 10 rounds? California laws must be even MORE ridiculous than I thought!

5. blueorison

blueorison Member

I thought only the semi auto rifles have to be single shot...

I guess since it isn't on the "list" you have to jump through hoops.. that's crazy. I thought there are California Steyr M9/-A1 owners on here that did not and used other methods.

hm.

6. Dokbrick

Dokbrick New Member

xthexheadx, more than likely that FFL you transferred the pistols to already had a barrel mocked up in that length. I am in Northern California, so essentially I would have to drive down to OC Armory (6 to 10 hour drive depending on LA traffic) buy the gun, they do the conversion (drop in extended barrel, and put a one round fixed magazine in the gun), after 10 days I would have to drive all the way back just to pick it up. California's laws are absurd. Essentially, there is a "Safe Handgun Roster" which is comprised of gun companies that pay big fees in order to have their gun on the list for purchase in California. If you have a design change (in Steyr's case the adding of the roll pin in the frame) you have to submit pistols for testing in California to see if they are "safe". This test costs about 10 to 15 grand if I recall. Also, you pistol has to have a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect safety as well, otherwise you fail the "Safety test". Older model guns like the USP, etc. are grandfathered in as long as they keep paying the fee each year. Basically its a scheme to extort gun companies and make it so that new models are not brought into California.

There was a time (2011) when Steyr pistols could be legally bought in California as they were still on the list. Unfortunately, I missed that window and now there are only three ways to get the gun in California. First, in the method that I described above called the Single Shot Exemption method. Second, have a LEO purchase the gun for themselves then sell it to you. Third, have someone who already owns the gun transfer one to you.(Ive been looking but no one wants to sell their Steyrs).

My FFL will fab the barrel out for free, so that is why I am looking for one. Other FFLs who have done a transfer like this before will have a barre already fabricated for this kind of pistol, however none in the bay area do. *It should also be noted that once the 10 days in over, you may legally return to the pistol to its original set up, as the single shot exemption is just to make it sellable to non LEO gun owner.

So, I am hoping with some help from this forum I can make my dream a reality.

xthexheadx, thank you for your input, I would definitely like to purchase from you, just finding a FFL that is closer to me that can pull off the SSE would be a challenge. PM me if you would like to work something out.

Thanks all.

7. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i'll get back in touch with OC armory, i'm sure they know of someone closer to you and could recommend some contacts for me to pursue.