If you still want to buy an M9 for cheap...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Deputy276, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Sarco is selling used Steyr M9 pistols for $349. No idea if that includes the box and any accessories. It DOES have the manual safety on it. Sarco is advertising it as "Second Generation". Obviously, it isn't. It's first gen. They appear to be in really good shape.
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/steyr-m9-gen-2-austrian-with-manual-safety/

It's quite possible these are LEO trade-ins.

silentheart and SurfGent like this.
  2. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Remember, unless you have squirreled away hi-cap mags, all you can get are 10 shot mags for this pistol.

SurfGent likes this.

3. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

1st gens were my favorite

Deputy276 likes this.
  4. Deputy276

Deputy276 Member

Yep...unlike others, I actually like the manual safety.;)

SurfGent likes this.
  5. Michael Dobesch

Michael Dobesch Member

You are not alone! I also like the manual safety on mir L9-A1 :)

SurfGent likes this.
  6. jhb

jhb Member

been away for long while....when did this happen?

I like the old ones. have a .40 version. great shooter.

SurfGent likes this.
  7. GLW

GLW Member

My first was a m-40 and eventually found a s-9 and a m-357sig. I have the newer models just fond of the originals

8. timothy p eastman

timothy p eastman New Member

I just received my Sarco Steyr M9. I ordered it and got a call a day latter that Sarco that the magazines are on backorder. I had them ship it without the mag and I waiting for one to arrive from midway.

The pistol is in excellent condition. The only flaw was some holster wear on the side near the muzzle. Looking at the internal wear it appears that it.was not fired much. I believe they changed the recoil spring and it stronger than what I have read about the m9.

I love the safety. The trigger pull is so light that I fell better with it on. Ideally I would love to switch the safety button with something larger so I can flick it on with one finger. If anyone has done this let me know.

The only unusual thing about the pistol to me is that if you view it from the side with a light behind it you can see space between the slide and frame except where it rides on the rails. It about a 1mm gap. Is this normal for this pistol?

The steyr website is down but do they sell the special mount for this pistol?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

9. D Ell

D Ell New Member

Howdy. I finally gained access here and just got my Steyr S9-A1.
    Just so everyone knows, the Ruger Sr9 mags are a perfect fit. I just had to dremel a new notch at just above the bottom of the #6 round hole on each of my SR mags. Perfect and secure locking in.

If you do decide to do this mod, be very careful with the positioning of the bottom cut of the notch. Too low and it can cause the rounds to double feed/stove pipe.
    SR mags come in 10 and 17rd or promag 32rd. The mag sleeves for the 17rd can easily be cut to fit the contour of the steyrs. Feel very good and look pretty decent compared to the 3d printed mag sleeves found on ebay for the steyr.

Thanks for listening.

10. Zudrick

Zudrick New Member

My steyr has the sane gap, even the A1 and A2 have a fair gap but it’s hasn’t been an issue yet. I’ve run it in a few competitions where it’s gotten It’s fair amount of sand while crawling and there hasn’t been an issue so far. Same match had a buddies 320 fail when a rock got in.

11. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

I was told the gap is intentional to help drain away any water or mud that might get in there

silentheart likes this.
  12. D Ell

D Ell New Member

Makes sense. Sounds like a little thought went into the design.

13. timothy p eastman

timothy p eastman New Member

Thanks for the feedback on the gap. My 17 round mag from midway arrived and the pistol runs flawlessly

The pistol has matching serial numbers on the frame, slide, and barrel. It was made in 2001.

The pistol was absolutely dry. No lube. It appears that the springs may have been changed, perhaps an arsenal refresh. I had to work the mag release to break in the spring. The slide release stiff as hell until broken in. Put on a movie and rack and release. The safety required some break in also. A hundred reps helps.. With some tetra it's smooth as silk. The recoil spring, I estimate , is about the same as a Glock 19.

The Trigger is wonderful and is best poly trigger I have tried, by some margin. Actually before I received the magazine I thought the striker spring may not have enough strike but it did fine. The Trigger is at or under 4lb and I appreciate the manual safety feature. Actually I would not feel comfortable carrying a pistol with a trigger this light without the manual safety. One other benefit of this safety is someone turns the gun on you it not totally obvious how the safety works and buys you time. It also has a integrated key lock, but no key was provided, rather easy to make.

For the price it's a steal.

I need to find the eurorail or make one.

silentheart likes this.