Steyr Club Forums banner
7K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  ThaiBoxer 
G
#1 ·
In most states that offer carry permits they require a certain amount of training. Some state have very specific topics that must me covered and other only require you have taken hunters safety. Since we know that about 70% of us have carry permits or will have one shortly I think it would be interesting to see what you liked or disliked about the class you took? What would you have wanted to learn more about?

G
#2 ·
My class expierence

The first carry permit I received was from the great state of IA. They have a goofy test that must have been put together by some administrator that had never shot a gun before. It asks lots of dumb questions like which way does a cylinder on a revolver rotate? It was really lame. We did look at the laws covering what you can and can't do while carrying a pistol. I wish the guy that was teaching the class would have covered what would happen if I ever had to use my gun. I got Massad Ayoob's book In the Graves Extreme which answered all of those questions just fine. All in all the class was kind of basic it would have been better for someone that wasn't really into guns. Bottom line is the class was shaped around the cheesy test that the state makes you take so it wasn't really my instructors fault.

I plan to take one of their more advanced gun fighting classes in the future. They said it is designed for people that are shooters and want to really gain some skills that will help them if they are ever in a pinch.

G
#3 ·
I took a two-day advanced handgunning course taught by one of the RSO's at my local range. He's a former Marine who has studied a lot of techinques with guys like John Farnham and he's distilled them down into his course. We spent the first night (Friday) talking about the "whys" of defensive handgunning, which covered some of the more practical legal aspects of concealed carry. ("Officer, I'd be happy to cooperate, as soon as I've had the opportunity to talk to my lawyer.")

The next two days were about shooting and moving...about 800 rounds under all kinds of conditions and situations. Prone, kneeling, standing, from concealment, from retention, advancing, retreating, double taps, Mozambiques, non-standard response drills -- we covered a lot!

Virginia doesn't actually require specific CCW training -- we have to show "proof of competency". I was an okay shot when I started the class, but after 2 days I felt much more confident in my ability to handle a weapon in a variety of circumstances. I think it prepared me better than any of the specific CCW classes that every gun shop seems to teach.

Jim

#4 ·
The AZ course I took was informative and laughable all at once. 16 hours of class time, including a qualifying shoot.

There was plenty of information covered about what self defense really means, when you can indeed shoot, and when you cannot. There was also lots of information on calibers and self-defense rounds, and what the possible ramifications are if you are involved in a shooting. Good stuff.

There was lots of other nonsense, too, and the written test of 30 questions was a joke. Even the instructor laughs at how easy it is. Easily passable without ever taking the course.

The qualifying shoot is 5 shots at 5 yards, and 5 shots at 10 yards. All must fall within the second box of a TQ-15 target. That's the bigger of the two boxes on this:

I can't believe two guys in my class failed to qualify, and had to shoot again.

The problem I had is that a few people in the class had never handled a firearm before -at all. They were very clumsy when it came to loading, grip, and firing. One guy even loaded his magazine backwards; bullets facing the wrong way. He continually let the slide forward & then racked it by hand, basically putting one round right behind the one in the chamber and jamming his Ruger. And he sliced the shit out of his hand on the side of the slide because he had no clue how to hold & shoot the weapon. He qualified, though..... :roll:

I think the instructor's hands are somewhat tied, as the students are not judged on their handling of the weapon, so long as they keep their finger off the trigger and muzzle downrange. If you shoot the target, you pass. There were at least 2 people in the class who should not hold a CCW permit, as they will probably shoot their own foot off.

There should be more instruction for those who do not own or have not handled a gun enough to feel comfortable with what's going on.

I think the class content and structure varies widely in AZ, and is largely up to the instructor. The truth is, you don't need 16 hours to pass the written & shooting tests. Each school fills the time how they see fit, I suppose. I know of at least one that takes students out to the desert for qualifying, and then lets each fire a machine gun. I found out about that class after I took mine, but you know where I'll be taking my renewal course in 4 years....:)

G
#6 ·
10 hours of boredom and aggravation. There were a couple of folks in my class that I pray did not get a liscense. Complete morons that made the whole experience less than enjoyable.

On the other hand I was the only one in my class that got a perfect score on the written test and on the firing line. :D

#7 ·
Was actually quite simple... few questions from the instructor. kept all 5 shots in the center mass at 15/20 yards. took my picture and handed me my paperwork, and off i went to HCSO for fingerprinting.They "the instructors" Vary dramatically.. some of them think they are gods,, and there are some that know. you dont have to be a prick about issuing the basic fiirearms safety thingy.. theres alot of instructors to choose from. I recall paying 65.00 for the "class" and an xtra 10.00 for photos taken by the same people. then they handed me the manilla envelope with all the required paperwork and blank fingerprinting card to take to the sheriffs office for printing.

total time spent in and out for the ccw class.. 30 minutes.

#9 ·
DocChronos said:
Gotta love Washington State (in this regard, anyway. Politically, it is like California North--except no Arnie.). Went to the county courthouse, fingerprinted, paid 'em $14-15, waited 30 days, received it in the mail.
I wish our sate was the cheap. Here you will spend about $100-125 on a class then have to pay about $150 for all the paperwork. :evil:

Sucks big time.

-D

G
#10 ·
three hours of videos.
Two hrs of responsibilities and interviews w/ cops/lawyers and "would you shoot in this scenario? why or why not?
And one hour on basic hangun handling/ storage/ types/ shooting fundamentals.

Ten minutes of questions and answers from the instructor including some of the best advice I've heard...

"if you do have to draw a gun, say a guy is coming towads you in a parking lot w/ a knife, and they turn and book it then great! You get away and no one gets hurt. But call the cops immediately and report the incicdent before they call and say you were waiving a gun at them"

when i asked if we had to shoot he said "you only have to prove that you've had gun handling and safety training, and i've seen both of you in here shooting before. Now do you want to get your photos here or do you already have them?"

$30 each for the class, $10 each for photos, $75 to FL, $5 to S.O. to take prints, $39 fingerprinting processing fee.

That was about two weeks ago, and we're still waiting.

G
#11 ·
Washington

14-15 for your premit how did you manage that it costs $60 for a new one and $32 for renewal but it is nice you walk in to your local PD and they fingerprint ya and 30 days later you get your CPL. there is no training requirement. we have also had a shall issue sence like 1968.

G
#12 ·
TX CHL is $140 first time, $70 renewal every 4 years. First time issue requires a 15 hr class and a 50 round range qualification. Renewal is 4hr refresher and 50 rd qual. Class is OK for newby types, lot of basic stuff. The best and most important part is the use of force law section. I taught the coures for 2 years and was blown away by how little people knew about the law. Texas is very liberal about when you can use deadly force but some people had the idea that shoot first and ask questions later was still the law of the land. If your state does not include a section on your states use of force law you must go to the libarary and read it for yourself. Use deadly force when it is not allowed and you could be the one facing life in prison, a wrongfull death law suit and legal bills that will put you in debt for life. Most people think the law is black and white. You will find it is all shades of gray. An anti-gun DA can turn a justifiable shooting into a murder trial..Learn the law in your state. If you ever use your gun, call the cops and call your lawyer. Do not answer any questions until your lawyer is present. This is a situation where you can dig your grave with your mouth, so keep it shut until your lawyer is there. Massad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme " is mandatory reading for anyone who carries a gun.

#13 ·
If I can remember correctly it was 4 hours of class time. The instructor was a detective so he covered alot of the law, dos and don't, what type of ammo to use, when to use fire power and when to split ect...

Range time consist of double taps at COM and some head shots with a full 10 round mag and that was it.

$50 for the class $150 for the permit.

#14 ·
I finished mine Tuesday, and I thought it was good. It's nice to know what Texas law actually allows. The instructors were first rate, and fixed a grip issue I had. I didn't really have any morons in my class, so that probably helped. I was surprised at how badly most of the people shot. My wife shot a Glock she had never used, and had the third highest score. And she's afraid of guns. But it was an enjoyable, informative class; with a lot of emphasis on avoiding having to use your gun, which should be every normal person's goal.

#16 ·
I took a day's training, including about 6 hours of classroom and the remainder shooting. Instructor was former LEO training officer, and most instructive were the tidbits about actual usage: That gunfights last only 2 or 3 seconds, that reaction time and dexterity are reduced under adreneline, that LEOs only hit about 1 out of 10 shots fired in the line of duty, etc. Great information and good training on grip, sight picture, etc. Good for the basics and great for general philosopy of gun carry. Guess I got lucky with whom I found, and thought the other two folks in the class had never touched a firearm before I was able to sit through the basics to get to the good parts.

#17 ·
Gotta love the State of Alabama- permits issued by County Sheriff, policy varies county to county. In Birmingham, the current Sheriff ran on a ticket that included a promise to reduce the annual permit fee from the exorbitant $20 to a reasonable $7.50 :wink: You fill out an application with personal info , 3 character references, and reason for need to carry. Wait 3 weeks for processing and background check, pay them the $7.50 if (read when) approved. When you walk in the front door, there are 2 windows in the atrium-- one for pistol permits, the other for everything else! There are no requirements for training, because everybody in Alabama is born knowing how to hunt, fish, and shoot. :) At least one county even has the permit application available online for download. Once you get your permit, it is recognized in 18 other states that have a reciprocity agreement with Alabama.

#18 ·
I am taking my class on 8/9. I will report in how it was. Can't wait!

---------
UPDATE

So here it is in a nut shell. All in all it wasn't too bad. The instructor new his stuff and was very thorough. He had more qualifications and titles than I care to remember but was a nice fellow. We went over the laws and such. It lasted about 4 hours and had about an hour of pre-course work that you needed to study before attending. This class was for people that already had firearm experience and focused more on actual situations and what/what not to do. Very informative and made me really think about doing this and if I should or not. They still made us demonstrate that we knew how to load and clear our personal weapons as well as provide proof that we had actually fired it more than once. (They offer a basic pistol course that has range time but I didn't want to waste the 10 hours doing that on a Saturday.) All in all a good class. Now I'm off to turn in my paperwork! :D

-D

G
#19 ·
to start with, I am in Utah. My ccw class was awesome, but a bit frightening at the same time. i had over 10 people, friends and family, get together at my house, and the instructor came to us. his wife collected money while he took pictureshis wife took the fingerprints while he gave the class. no shooting required, just demonstrate that you can safely load and unload a revolver and pistol. 3 hours later, class is over and you send your paperwork in with a check and wait for a license.

G
#20 ·
I satisfied Virginia's Concealed Handgun Permit safety competency requirement with my hunter ed certificate. The vast majority of people in my hunter ed class (of about 30 total) where parents and their child(ren), with a few lone adults looking to get started hunting. Most were very quiet and just let the instructors do the talking.

#21 ·
CPL-Concealed Pistol License

The Michigan Concealed Pistol License Course requires at least eight hours of instruction from an NRA certified instructor to include two hours of legal instruction and at least three hours of range time with a minimum of 30 rounds fired.

The course I took was broken into two seperate classes with the first being dedicated to classroom time where we went over an NRA book describing firearms safety rules, types of pistols and their operation, different types of pistol ammunition, and the legal restriction placed on CPL (no churches, schools, govt. buildings, taverns, stadiums, have to alert police officer right away if stopped of weapon, etc.) and the reasonable person standard for various types of self-defense (self-defense, defense of others, defense of property). In addition, the various criminal and civil lawsuits that could be filed against a CPL holder.

The second class was dedicated to cleaning and general maintenance of our pistol, safe storage issues and means, dry fire of pistols and working of our individual pistol safety conditions and those of other pistols. Then we had range time with 100 rounds of FMJ at an indoor range with various obstructions we had to learn to shoot around. It was no "THUNDER RANCH," but it was pretty good for first timers or those with little pistol experience.

#22 ·
My class was exactly like ministerofdeath described. It was hosted by a indoor range/gun shop. A few things that stood out:

-The business hosting the class kept pushing the class to buy something from them; from holsters to safes to firearms.

-An NRA instructor conducted the firearms portion of the class time, a lawyer handled the legal aspects, and a separate range master handled the live fire portion.

-Most of all the scenarios discussed concerned home invasion. Defense outside the home wasn't really considered.

-The attendance was really a slice of life. Lots of different backgrounds and experience with fire arms.

-I have a sneaking suspicious that several people were actually failed from the class for not being to pass the live fire. The only "extra" attention the range master paid to anyone was to make sure that they weren't a danger to others. A few people weren't able to complete portions even though simple adivce would have got them through (i.e. rack the slide to chamber a round)

G
#24 ·
permits

I got am Pa permit out of philadelphia, I recieved mine even before i baught a weapon.. I didnt have to take any type of test or course, just went down paid money was asked a few questions and a few weeks later recieved a notice that I have passed my background check and come get a mug shot... Man getting a CDL was more of a pain :lol:

#25 ·
$40 and 40 minutes with a Federal Air Marshal, who's also an Army Lt. Col. Found him through a friend. Was pretty straight forward. Here's the laws, don't do this, here's the test, you passed, here's your certificate and packet. Got to love that military efficency.

Have you ever been in the room with someone and just been able to tell their an operator? This guy was relatively young for a Lt. Col. He had just been called up and was just back from some anti-terror training. Was headed to Africa I think. Had to report to Ft Bragg in a couple days.

Is it just Special Forces at Bragg or is Delta supposed to work out of there?

I work with a few people who are spooky, 2 of them I know were Naval inteligence. One morning, one of them was out at the airport meeting a friend who was arriving by military transport, because he was forbidden from travelling by commercial aircraft and if he ever leaves the country, it's accompanied by a guy who's job is to shoot him if he's in danger of being kidnapped.

Strange stuff, and I didn't get the impression I was being snowed. That guy was kind of depressed for a couple weeks after his friends visit. Apparently they had a discussion and it turns out this guy (the one I work with) had done some stuff that he might not of had he known all the facts.

#26 ·
Officially...

Officially, my class was the MO required 8 hours, range proof, and test. Unofficially, the instructor (it was a solo...he came to my house), once convinced that I knew what the hell I was doing with a gun (been an owner and shooter 40 years), ran through the required legalisms, gave me the written test (100%), and we went out to my range for the required 40 rounds (20 each with revolver and semi). The fact that he uses a Ruger Mark III .22 with a bull barrel identical to my 20+ y.o. Mark II meant that yeah, it hit nuthin' but 10s at 7 yards. I admit I had a couple of 9s with his Ruger revolver, which I had never shot before, since I just wanted to get it over with.

So, it was $100 for the class, he felt comfortable I met all the real necessary requirements, and we were done (including range time) in about 90 minutes...including the 20 minutes it took to drive out to the range.

But officially, it took 8 hours. Really it did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.