Steyr Club Forums banner

If I were to start making holsters for the S9,S40 & C9 might any of you be interested

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  southernfryedyankee 
#1 ·
Here are some pics of the 1 I made. I just want to get a feel for if the investment is worth it and if I would have any clientele.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: If I were to start making holsters for the S9,S40 & C9 might any of you be intere

Looks like a good start!

I would recommend you consider posting this in the holster forum for a little better exposure.

#3 ·
Re: If I were to start making holsters for the S9,S40 & C9 might any of you be intere

Thank you Cleveland, I did not know you were a member here as I am not 1 to step on another benders toes, are there any other benders here besides us? Would a moderator please move my post to the holsters forum.

#5 ·

Your not stepping on our toes, we make IWB hybrid holsters. We will expand to OWB holsters eventually, but we are plenty busy with what we are currently doing. :)

Check with the monitors, we pay to have a forum at the bottom of the main page and they may ask you too as well if you advertise. Not really sure of the details?

Good luck!

#6 ·
I would consider relieving the area around the ejection port so the sharp corners up there don't tear up the inside of the holster, or create excessive retention. Also you might want to tape a dowel to the top of the slide so the front sight has a channel to pass through. Not as much of a problem with the trap sight on the Steyr, but other front sights on other handguns can snag without clearance.

#7 ·
If I were to start making holsters for the S9,S40 & C9 might any of you be inte

I have an M9A1 Franken-steyr and have been searching for a good holster. Yours looks like a good potential fit.

#8 ·
Re: If I were to start making holsters for the S9,S40 & C9 might any of you be inte

You need to fill in the ejection port while molding pistol holsters, especially for full kydex holsters.

Set your retention to the trigger guard.

If you mold in the ejection port, you'll cause unnecessary wear on the slide and other parts.

Looks fantastic otherwise.

Check out bravo concealment for some great examples on holsters.
Theirs are damn near flawless.

I'd cut away a bit more around the trigger area too.
One of the mistakes I made when I made mine was that. It forces the slide into the kydex and I have a wear mark on the corner of my slide now.

Looks like your getting a good temperature while molding.

if your using a toaster oven, make sure you use one of those digital thermometers as well to check the temp.

The better you get that core temp on the kydex the better the mold will be as well.

It's just hard to get the temps even with a heat gun unfortunately.

350 seems to be the sweet spot while making holsters.

#9 ·

Revamped my holster design slightly with a definite carry upgrade. I used a .25" X 1.5" X 1.5" piece of wood to raise the kydex so this holster would accept a belt loop. This blew the leather straps out of the water. I also cleaned up the ejection port some to where I still get great retention but the pistol comes out without being too tight, there is now no rub mark where my slide used to hit the ejection fort on the way out. I am going to try to strat making a few extras but the S9A1 is the only pistol I have to work on but it WILL also fit the S40A1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.