IDPA tomorrow. M9A or M40A1...hmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

My local IDPA is tomorrow. I'm going to do regular IWB CCW holster and regular cover garment, instead of OWB Kydex and a vest. Debating 9mm or .40 Lite. I shoot the .40 better, and my carry gun is the M40. But the 9mm is something I've worked on lately, and I just loaded 1,000 rounds of 147 gr loads. Hmmmm....

2. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

I like my 40 better too...
    Awe heck take both and flip a coin...

Good luck and aim well!!

3. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

gah... I don't know....

On the one hand, I see the IDPA and other shooting competitions as a way to practice what you carry. Always great to be proficient in your CCW.

But then again. When you get good at it... and you're good, Thai ;), you need to mix it up a bit. Always stay on your edge.

So... while normally I would say use your .40 as that is what you carry. I have to say, go with the 9mm this time. It will be more of a challenge, and therefore more fun, to shoot :)

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Try the 9 and see what the difference is.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I took the .40, planned to also shoot my Kahr .40 as a BUG. Then the weather was dicey and I had to get home early, so I weasled and just shot the M40A1. I did use my IWB. Did pretty well, had one procedural for crossing a fault line. Might have won it all, may see the scores online later today.

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats.
    Don't you just hate those rules? :)

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The problem was that I didn't know that I had to "step behind the board" b/c it was a fault line, and I thought he was yelling at me to get behind the barrel for cover, which I was using adequately. I should have realized that it was a fault line, but it didn't really make sense in the course design.

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

didja win? didja, didja, didja????

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member