IDPA: Steyr M40-A1 wins SSP class

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Jul 7, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Took 3rd of 15 overall, 3rd of 15 for fewest points down, and first for SSP. Only about 6 seconds behind the guy who is always first, he shoots ~4,000 rds a month. I'll never catch him, unless he trips. The second place guy and I both made up lots of time on the "long-range prone on 6" poppers" string.

The Steyr is a good IDPA piece. I must confess though, that I'm thinking of ditching the traps for some P-T red-green-red night sights. Will try IPSC this month for the first time, if family considerations allow it.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats.
    Are the other shooters used to seeing a Steyr by now, or do they ask "What's that?".

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

They still ask. One guy said he was thinking of getting one, & I heard some "I like that low bore axis" and "I like how the slide has a short stroke" (?) comments today.

I think for most of the guys at my range, it's a Glock wannabe, or "Like a Glock but not a Glock". That would be Steyr's fault for not defining themselves, and then letting the M&P successfully take most of the design ideas that they added after taking Glock's ideas!

Oh well. In some ways it's like getting excited over which brand of hammer to use. Whatever is in the toolbox is the way i feel about it. Mostly. :D

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

good shooting!!!

hope you like ipsc.

i haven't made it out to a single shoot this year. it's not the sunday mornings, it's the consistent practice time before hand that i can't seem to get in.

i'm gonna have to schedule some serious practice time, and kick some serious other-than-steyr butt!!

for that matter... why should we all live vicariously through thaiboxer?

i mean, we won't all finish "on the podium" like he does, but if everybody at least does a google search for a competition in your area, that would be the first step in your journey to idpa/ipsc greatness!!

are YOU the next todd jarret, doug koenig, kevin sevigney or leatham? get out there and find out!!

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

BT,

Screw the practice, just go! I don't get much in the way of practice at all. Too much else in life, young family, jobs, and all that. Had to hire a babysitter today just to make the shoot.

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my local clubs are pretty tough. i come in last and second to last even when i DO practice.

but you're right, the point is to get a little trigger time to keep on your toes, winning be damned.

maybe i'll make it out there next week.

any steyr guys in the pittsburgh area... PM me and we'll set up a steyr competition outing.

yes, i'll shoot idpa if that's what ya'll want to do. north huntingdon's ipsc shoot is the best around, but may be a little intimidating for a first shoot. i know it was for me the first FEW times.