I so want to like my Steyr

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Angel, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

Hello folks, here is my story.

I bought an M-1A 9mm a few months ago. So far I have fired about 1000 rounds. First 50-100 was realtively smooth even with reloaded ammo. Then came the string of shells thrown at my head and jams after jams. Even when the gun was very clean. Finally had the extractor fix done.

The good, love the feel and the accuracy. Much better ergonomics than any other gun I have tried so far. Turn around time was less than a week from SAI for the extractor fix.

The bad, some cheap ammo and a few hundred rounds of dirt causes jam after jam even with the new extractor fix. Oh, and who do I have to kill to find some extra magazines? Are there any Glock or Berretta ones that would fit? Probably not.

UMC and S&B ammo totally sucked. Magtech and CCI Brass were flawless. I think the CCI Brass 115 grain FMJ might be slightly more accurate than the Magtech. This is the ammo I'll probably use for IPSC matches.

The gun is a bit big for CCW, so if I have to start carrying in a few weeks, I may get a new Stoeger 8000 or a HK USP Comp (if I can afford it).

The thing is I really like most everything about my Steyr but the reliability has been very disappointing so far. I mean it got so bad that I even considered getting a Glock (shudder!).

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

umc generally does suck. S&B have had good experience with.

are they jams or failures to go into battery all the way? off center strikes? happens with the youngens. check the maint section for working the springs in.

magazines. not sure where they all went to. cdnn has some 10 rounders for $10 a piece.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Angel :)

Get some new mag springs! And, are ya usin' the M9 mags? The M40's work well but ya gotta close up the mag lips a bit. But, for sure, get some Wolff +10% Power Sigma 40 15-round mag springs and swap 'em out with your old Steyr mag springs. It'll be better than ever. 8) G'luck.

Wulf

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

dont think mag springs are problem but never know for sure.
    hows the feedramp ?

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Angel, If you think the M9a1 is hard to hide, don't get a HK!

The grip is the hardest part to conceal and the Steyr has the same grip width as a 1911.
    A pistol well known for how easy it is to conceal.
    That makes the Steyr far easier to hide than most other plastic fantastics.
    It's one of the things that drew me to the Steyrs.

Let's not even talk about the "perfect" Block :-&

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I have an M9A1 and a USPc .45 and the Steyr definitely conceals better. The grip of the USP makes it relatively hard to conceal. The Steyr carries quite well in a Blade-Tech UCH - you really should give it a try before dumping another $800 into a new gun. The USPc is lighter (both loaded), but only because the Steyr is lugging around 16 rounds of 9mm.

Definitely try using new magazines before dumping the pistol. I had some issues with mine when I first bought it. SAI replaced the mags and my pistols has been rocking along ever since.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

It seems like I'm hearing that most if not all problems with reliability are directly linked to handloads and some limited brands of ammo. If a gun is reliable with certain brands and not others the answer would seem to me to stick with the right brands of ammo. If my car ran poorly with one brand of gas and well with others I would find the solution in sticking with certain brands. I guess it's like the question of whether a glass of water is half empty or half full. Some guns are finnicky about ammo. For me that only requires me to learn the likes and dislikes and act accordingly.

For any handgun there are three basic variables: the human, the ammo, and the gun itself. Adjustments need to be made to maximize the potential of the system. Much of what I enjoy about shooting is learning to make those adjustments to "master" any handgun that I own bringing each of the three variables into maximum balance. It's a sum being greater than the parts sort of thing.

Buzz

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

The Force, Buzz 8-O

Use the Force! Don't forget the part about the Force, Buzz. 8-O

Master Wulf <-- Taught Yoda everything he knows

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

:D I think that there is a certain Zen to it. Any time man and machine combine for performance there is a sort of alchemy between gray matter, flesh, blood and sinew and plastic, steel and gunpowder. I can understand that some folks want a gun that will shoot everything right out of the box with a minimum of fuss, and that's fine, but almost any gun requires adjustment to varying degrees. Again, for me that is a large part of the fun, finding out how each of my guns can best be used as part of a system where I am the user. And when the gun is one such as the Steyr some limitations on the brands of ammo that can be used seems a relatively small accomodation.

In over twenty years of handgun shooting I can only think of one gun that came close to being deadbang perfect for me right out of the box, and that was a Steyr GB. That's probably why I have one on the way to me as I write, but I have no such illusions as to believing that this gun will be exactly like my old one or that I won't have to learn the gun all over again and in different ways from the one that I sold years ago.

Buzz

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

cci blaser brass ROCKS. thats what i use all the time. it's accurate, reliable, and cheap!!!

some members have had jamming trouble and it went away after cleaning the magazines out. the magazines can get gummed up with crud. this keeps the follower from sliding up the mag freely, pitching the bullet at all kinds of contorted angles as it engages the feed ramp.

11. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

unless yo have feeding problems I don't think magazines are the problem...

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Yep, Buzz :)

I grok your Zen. 8)

Wulf

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Conceals better than anything I have carried in a 4"

14. Angel

Angel Guest

Well its year 2007 and other mfgs can make perfectly reliable guns. I expected better from Steyr company in their second revision of their flagship gun.

Its not the magazines, its not a feeding problem. Its an extraction problem.

Anyway, I still like my M1-A. But, for CCW I would feel a whole lot safer carrying a gun that has an external safety I can thumb on/off. Otherwise, I can't in good conscience have a round in the chamber.

15. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

plenty of other manufactures have lemons with worse problems.
    main issue with steyrs is extractor and ejection in the 9mm version.

try the 1911 plunger spring inserted into the internal diameter of the extractor springs. make sure the extractor recesses are clean and dont use much oil in that area.