i need a pocket gun

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by volkster67, Aug 18, 2007.

1. volkster67

volkster67 Guest

ok, i know there is tons of controversy over this subject. Heres the deal, i`m a construction manager who works in the field and i have to dress accordingly, no baggy pants, shirt must be tucked in, no exposed firearms, etc. I usually carry my M40-A1 and when at work just tuck it away in my truck. Well recently i got moved to, well the ghetto. I need a pocket gun. i really like the kahr 9 but i cant conceal it my pocket w/o it looking a gun in pocket. so now i`m leaning towards the kel-tec .380 or the Bersa .380cc. this is where i`m stumped. i cannot make up my mind past this, i understand that 6+1 really sucks, but at least it may be enough to get you gone. any suggestions?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Howdy volkster* :)

How bouta fanny pack w/ an M40-A1 and an xtra hicapper mag in it, Dude? :shock: Or a short barreled 357 Rem Mag wheelgun. Otherwise, I'd consider the smallest profile hicap 9MM pocket rocket ya can find, if ya hafta go autoloader, IMHO. Netfotoj haza thread goin' kinda along these lines. ( https://www.steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3937 ) Check it out. Ya may find some useful info in there. <shug> Good luck, Dude. :)

Wulf

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I prefer the smooth lines of a wheel gun for pocket carry. My bersa prints too much in slacks, dress pants, or jeans but does fine in cargo pants. My wheel gun works with anything. I would recommend getting one rated for .38 +P - I went the .357mag route and kinda regret it. They cost more usually, and you'll likely end up carrying .38 +P anyway (I do). There are some gains, of course, from carring .357 mag, but definitely not enough to justify the MUCH greater recoil and flash/bang. 2" and less barrels are not ideal for .357mag, but the 135gr. +P Speer Gold dot excels.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Volkster,

I have done some research for the same reasons....

I own a P9 and even it is too large to conceal well when wearing summer clothing....

I eventually narrowed my search to two pistols:

Seecamp & NAA

The Seecamps are spendy and not quick to get, while the NAA's are very similar, less expensive and much more readily available.

I have the NAA Guardian .32 as it was the first to find me.....

I am still looking for a Seecamp .380

Good Luck - PM me if you have more ????

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Been there, done that, made a false move with the Kel-Tec P-11; finally settled on the Kel-Tec PF-9. Small, slim and light, fits right in my pants pocket and nobody the wiser. Seven +1 of 9mm will get the job done, usually.

[​IMG]

Here's a review I did of the P-11 vs. the PF-9: http://www.johnmyers.com/column100.html

I also shot the P-3AT, same trigger as the PF-9 and even smaller and lighter. But for me, six rounds of .380 might not be enough. https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3483&highlight=six+rounds+aint+enough

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have tried a Beretta 950, Glock 26, and currently using a .380 PPK for pocket duty and have found them all to bounce around too much for my taste, except with the stiffest/heaviest of pant materials (which I generally don't
    wear).
    My utterly crude method of solving my problem is to have my hand in my pocket, as much as possible, holding the gun (with thumb on the top edge of the holster to ensure gun/holster separation upon draw) . This also allows you to have a wider choice of guns and calibers (as long as you don't mind looking like you are playing with yourself all day :oops: ).

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, SD :twisted:

Ya owe me for a good monitor cleanin'! :evil:

Wulf <-- wipin' the Corona off his monitor and KB overlay

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

For a great visual comparison of pocket pistol sizes,

look here.

8) 8)

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

10. volkster67

volkster67 Guest

wow, thats some good info thx. I have talked to several guntologists (gun salesmen) and more than half recommended the .38 revolver. my only argument is the lack of rounds, granted thats why i shoot at least on a bi-weekly basis but 5 rounds is not going to cut it. and after viewing that pocket pistol chart my eyes are a bit more open. and sorry, no fanny packs...

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If it's any consolation, the .38 +P's usually perform better than .380 and smaller, and in many cases better than the ultra-compact 9mm's. And don't sell yourself short - 5 shots should be adequate for 1 or 2 BG's - any more than that and you're going to also need the grace of god to make it out in one piece, regardless of what you're packing. I still carry a fullsize if I can help it, but I don't necessarily feel underarmed with just a snub either. And for the record, I was a bit weary of carrying the snub at first for all the same reasons - with a little objective/cynical examination of your odds with more than 1 or 2 attackers, it starts to make a lot more sense.

12. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Try the guardian in .32NAA with a pocket holster.
    Can you say Pocket pistol with 62% one shot stops.... If you have to have the extended mag, go with the .380

[​IMG]
    http://www.naaminis.com/32NAA.html

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:roll:

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

+1

:roll: :roll:

15. mrboma

mrboma Member

Yet another fine example of craftsmanship that I cannot own.
    Been looking at these since they came out, thought it would be a nice pocket rocket (ICBM) :twisted:

Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410 (shot or slug) and .45 Long Colt.

[​IMG]

Only 2 shots mind you, but if you only get 2 - why not hit um with all you got.

Mike

16. SharkNet

SharkNet Guest

17. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I know someone who modified a cell phone case to hold (and completely conceal) his .32 Kel-Tec. Not what I would carry.

BTW, those Bond Arms derringers also come in 9mm and .38 Special.

Then there is always the ultimate, no compromise solution: the MP-5K in a briefcase.

(Here it is in action.)

18. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

sweet!! 8)

19. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I mostly carry it in a shoulder holster, but on a number of occasions I have pocketed my Walther PPK.

20. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I vote xd9 sub-compact, its a little fat but it's tiny really accureate and shoots very well matched with a belly belt girdle/holster thing....