I hope you guys are all being honest. Steyr C9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mlk18, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

I hope you guys are all being honest. Steyr C9-A1. * IT'S HERE!

So I recently decided I needed a new carry 9mm. I have more guns than I probably should and feel like I am on a never ending quest for the perfect carry piece. Several have come very close, but just weren't perfect. I went to a local gun shop earlier in the week to fondle their current selection when a guy came in to pick up a gun he had ordered online. It turned out to be a Steyr M9 (original version). While the paperwork was being run I asked if I could check it out. This was the first Steyr I had ever seen in person, let alone held. I was impressed the second I had it in my hand. I did not dry fire it or hold it for long, after all it was already like dancing with someone else's date. This led me to my computer where I quickly found this site and started reading. Short story even shorter, I purchased a used (like new) Steyr C9-A1 (online from a gun shop) with 2 mags for under $400. This is the very first gun I have ever ordered without having at least handled the same model. I purchased it almost completely on faith and hope. Next I went to Brownells and ordered three 17 round mags then to Falco to order a black leather OWB holster. So I am putting some serious blind faith in you people. ;) If it is as ergonomic, soft shooting and accurate as you all claim, I expect it be nothing short of awesome. But I will have to wait until mid-week to find out for sure.

On a related note: is it pronounced st-eye-rrr or is it stay-err? I heard it both ways on You Tube and wanted to be sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. LaBradford

LaBradford New Member

Steyr (rhymes with "higher")
    Good luck

3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I too have spent a small fortune hunting the 'perfect" CC handgun and I have concluded it does not exist. You have to find the ones that offer you the best overall compromise. I am sure you'll like it and I love the quality of Falco holsters. They are made in Europe by some guys that make falcon hunting leather goods and that is why it takes a month to get them. I have one of their IWB leather holsters with the belt loops and it is top quality. The ergos are great and the trap sights are easy for me to pick up. Other than a few ejection issues(which can be fixed) there's not alot goes wrong with them. When you get it pull the slide off and compare the guts of it to a "PERFECTION" pistol. The Steyr is heavier built and simpler in design.

4. Talyn

Talyn New Member

To pronounce it with German, it should be an A instead of an E,

So Stay ar.

German letters are not phonic like american. Your saying the letter.

ah bah tseh deh eh eff geh hah ih yot kah ell emm enn oh peh kuh err ess teh uh fau veh iks

E is like saying A in English.

While we say A Bee Cee Dee.

I love my C9.
    I trust my life with it.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Good purchase.

6. firecracker6

firecracker6 New Member

My german's really nothing to brag about (it has left many Germans very confused) but I think Talyn has it mostly right. I think it's actually pronounced more like Shtayer. The when an s and t are together they make an "sht" sound.

Talyn likes this.
  7. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

I am pretty sure between now and Wed/Thu when this gun arrives I will have read every thread in Steyr Club and re-watched every video review I can find. I have discovered that the two most commonly found comments about the newest generation of Steyr's are an "extremely undervalued gem" and "I wouldn't trade my Glock for it". Funny how the people who are quick to rip on the M/S/C-A1 series have a friend whose gun was horrible. I chalk it up to forum commandos and mall ninjas. I am not afraid of a little break in or a little tweaking to get a gun 100%. A recent 1000 round test of the Glock 19 on Gunnuts revealed both stoppages and a parts breakage, that does not mean I would throw it away either. But something tells me my new Steyr C9-A1 is going to be awesome right out of the box. Yes, as a matter of fact I am getting very impatient for its arrival.

8. Doc

Doc New Member

I can tell you that my M9-A1 ruined me for most other pistols. I already didn't care for glocks, but after shooting this, I found most Berettas to become intolerable (the newer ones became unpointable), some Sigs to no longer be comfortable (except some of the older P6's and 226's), almost all Ruger pistols (non-22's), Walthers, Kahr, etc. In fact, outside of this, the only pistols I really, really love to shoot are my Caracal C and the aforementioned P6. There are times when I feel I should shoot other pistols, simply to establish some sort of familiarity and for something new, but coming back to my Steyr feels so comfortable, I can barely tell I'm holding something in my hand anymore.

9. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

Doc, I don't think I could agree with you more!!! The G27, GenIII I own has me regretting my decision to purchase it. I just can't seem to do well with it. The SIG Nightmare 938 is just that, a NIGHTMARE. Extractor issues galore. SIGs answer to me was to use Speer Lawman 124gr. It's been to them once and they replaced the extractor, but still not cycling ammo. Sorry fellas, in this day and age, I'd be happy if I could get WWB in 9mm to go to the range with. $700 for a gun and you should be allowed to run whatever you want. I love it's concept, a very small, put in the coat pocket type with 7+1 in a 9mm. But well, it's not my EDC. I am still holding out for Springfield though. I like my XDs and 1911. Only other handgun I'd consider at the moment is a Makarov. My two S-A1s are my pride and joys.

10. PHXATC

PHXATC New Member

I just bought a C9 and am looking forward to the range. (first post here).

I stare at it nightly.

11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

12. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

My Steyr C9-A1 arrived today, one day a head of schedule! Woo Hoo! First impressions: It was used but you wouldn't know. I can find no wear at all and everything thing was included (even the manual and original receipt) plus there was a 3rd 15 round mag. The first owner bought it from the same gun shop and must have traded it in right away. The date on the receipt was December 23, 2012 (guess the world didn't end so he just didn't need the extra gun or something). The Steyr feels very well made from quality components. Fit and finish is excellent. Grip angle is funky for sure, but I like it and think it will grow on me even more. I don't care for the sights at all (white dot rear and red dot front). Even a bright green or orange front dot would have made a big difference. Either way I was going to replace them, I am just torn between trying out the trap sights are going with tritium 3-dots. It feels like a nose-heavy ergonomic Glock 19 to me and really does seem to be the next emanation of the Austrian wonder gun. Mine does have the in and out of battery issue, but I will resolve that with some light polishing(thanks N24RE!). When mine is slightly out of battery (sort of) the trigger pull feels sort of like a new Glock and comes in at just over 6.25 lbs on my trigger pull scale. When it is fully locked up it is just a little heavier than my Apex tuned M&P at approx. 4.9 lbs (avg of 3 pulls). And that's saying something! My 17 round mags arrived from Brownells yesterday, but I think I prefer the base plate on the 15 rounders. With the 15's the grip feels slightly longer than a G19, but with the 17's it feels like a G17 or M&P FS. So the 17's will serve in the spare mag pouch and the 15's in the gun. I have 3 of each. I have several holsters at home so tomorrow I will take the C9-A1 down and see if I can find something that fits. Otherwise I will be calling Blade Tech. I ordered a holster from Falco but since then the internet has lead me to believe that it may be summer before I see it. My TLR-1s with Glock key will not fit, will have to see if any of the other keys will work. I also have a Micro 90 LED to try out but my TLR-3 died and had to go back to the factory. So not sure about mounting a light on it yet. Having not been able to shoot it, which is of course the real test and review, I have to reserve judgement. But so far I am pretty impressed. Okay, make that really impressed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  13. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

Well I got out both boxes of holsters and only found 3 that will work with the Steyr C9-A1. The Tactical Tailor low-profile soft holster (which is really just for range or emergency use, even though it is the best of it's kind), a Galco Yaqui slide holster for a Glock 21 (same model for a S&W J frame YAQ158H) and a Bianchi 7506 Size 15A. Although I will add that the Yaqui slide worked like it was MADE for this gun. It held it in place nice and tight with no movement yet released without too much effort upon drawing. I have holsters for many different guns and most of them just would not work, generally because of the trigger guard. Since I am not a fan of carrying without some kind of retention other than pressure, I will definitely be calling Blade Tech to make something for me. Probably the Level II duty with a tek-lock or something. Of course I am going to polish the striker and shoot it first. No need to spend more money until I am confident that this gun is not just superficially awesome, but substantially awesome!

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Glad to hear you like it. If you do contact Blade-Tech, please let us know how they respond. Their willingness to make stuff for our pistols (beyond the standard IWB rig) seems to fluctuate.

15. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I'd shoot it first before attempting to modify or polish anything.

16. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

I got the chance to take it out this last weekend for a very abbreviated range session. Essentially I loaded 4 mags and shot at some metal poppers. No malfunctions, low felt recoil, low muzzle flip and it was not hard to hit the poppers when I drove the gun properly. I spent 1 mag trying to force a malfunction via sloppy gun handling, but it cycled every time. I like the red dot front sight even less than I did before and will be ordering some Trijicons for it. I considered the trap sights, which I would still like to try, but if I am going to spend money I might as well get tritium.

I found a different holster company I am going to try instead of Blade Tech. The company is called Crown Holsters. They make a good looking kydex holster for the Steyr M9-A1 for round $50 with only a 2-3 week lead time. I will post a review when it gets here and I have time to wear it. I also ordered a few items from Big Taco (btguiderods.com) to try out. The Glide Rite bushings look especially interesting.

17. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Which Falco did you order? It took me about 4 weeks to get mine. According to the guy @ Falco, it does not take them but about a week to finish a holster once the order is in. The rest of the time they say customs is a nightmare post 9-11. When it comes to building top-quality leather holsters for a good price these huys are the real deal. The leather in my IWB open top holster and the stitching is flawless. I've seen lesser holsters sell for over $100. Make sure you let me know how you like it when it comes in. Some folks really like Kydex but I still prefer the look, feel and gun friendliness of leather.

18. mlk18

mlk18 New Member

I ordered the 33ex lined belt holster. I wanted the side snap holster but they don't make it with the muzzle covered. I am hoping I get it in 4 weeks like you did, but some reviews on other sites lead me to believe that normal delivery times are much longer. I prefer leather myself. I bought a used Falco holster for a j-frame a few years back and was impressed by the quality.

19. MINKMAN

MINKMAN Member

I have on and love it i installed a couple of BT's products before shooting it . I ordered my C9 from Steyr w/ the trap sights because I can get the 3-dot sights anywhere lol. I put the "grip plug" and the "spring cups " in my C9 . Oh also a set of "traction grip" panels.