I can no longer strip the M40-A1 frame

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by alex, Dec 21, 2007.

1. alex

alex Guest

I was able to strip the lower several times before but today no matter how I tried I couldn't get the lever to come out. I did push down the wire on the frame and line up the lever. I wiggled and wiggle the lever while I pushed down the wire and the lever just refuse to come out. I couldn't strip the frame. Please help.

2. nixon

nixon Member

Alex,
    Can you rack the slide and make sure there is no live ammo in the chamber (check 2, 3 times) ? If you can rack the slide, pull the trigger but first be very careful to point the piece in a safe direction when you do, then try again pressing the pin while moving the lever down.

3. alex

alex Guest

I had no trouble taking the slide off. I had trouble detail strip the frame. I want to take out the sub-frame. To do that I need to remove the lever. I had done the sub-frame removal a couple of time before but whatever reason I couldn't get the lever to come out. I even had my daughter pushing the wire in on the frame then with my two hands holding frame and wiggled and wiggled the lever. I tried lineup the lever perfectly with the marked line and also slightly off on either side of the mark. The lever just didn't want to come out. My gun worked normally ie., it had no problem feeding cartridges, ejecting spent cases, and went bang when trigger was pulled. I wanted to take the sub-frame out so I can clean every parts thoroughly and do some polishing. If I put the sub-frame back wrong last time the gun should not work properly. So I think the "wire" which is actually the end of slide lock spring must have changed shape that it caught on the lever undercut and preventing the lever from freeing. Any suggestion as what can I do short of sending the gun to SAI.

4. nixon

nixon Member

I see. I suggest that go first to the complete take down tutorial at the top of this index, the maintenance index and see if that could help you. Please keep the club posted on your development. Good luck, and have a Merry one !

5. m00t

m00t New Member

Make sure to take the magazine out, as the follower pushing up on the slide release lever will often make it so you can't take the takedown lever out of the frame. If your mag is out, with your slide off, wiggle the slide release around while wiggling/pulling the takedown lever...

good luck!

6. alex

alex Guest

Yes, I have read the tutorial on this forum. As a matter of fact I was stripping the pistol in front of my computer so I could follow every step exactly. I had successfully detail stripped the sub-frame twice. During those two times the take down lever was quite easy to be removed once I depressed the "wire"(the end of the silde lock spring) on the frame. As I said I was detail stripping the pistol so the slide and the magazine were out of the pistol. While I was depressing the "wire" I wiggled the take down lever every which way but it just won't come out.
    Speaking of which this exact same difficulty happened to my friend's new M40-A1 that was just purchased from CDNN. He detail stripped successfully one time but his take down lever also refuses to come out now.
    How can two un-related pistols from two different owners have the same trouble?
    Is there some tricks involve in removing the take down lever?

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I may have a trick that will work????

I got my M9-A1 from CDNN also and I also had this problem as well..

This is what I did..............

first I would line up the take down lever with the line and it would not come out. So I got :twisted: then I lined it up but as I pulled real hard I would twist it up towards the rails on the frame and it would pop out about the time it was strait up.

good news after 10 or so times it broke in and now never happens :party:

I hope this will help you out.

Good luck....

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that's kind of how i do it as well. i position the lever straight down. then pull out as i rotate the lever upwards. pops right out. it lets you get a little more of your finger tip in to do th pulling.

you could also try to pry it out using a small screwdriver. this does open the door to scratching your frame however. please be careful if you try this.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I had mine get stuck once - BT advised me to use a small thin piece of plastic as a punch to tap from the "inside out". I didn't muscle it, but that lever popped right out after a gentle tap or two. Check the take down lever for surface rust when you do get it out - I think that may be what hangs it up sometimes...

10. alex

alex Guest

I tried turning the lever up or down but just didn't have much grab to it to have enough pulling force. So I used a flat blade screw driver and tapping from the inside of the lever with a couple hits from a small hammer the lever is now free.
    Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

ps., what I found out was the slide lock piece got caught on the undercut on the take down lever. If that undercut were slightly beveled the take down lever will come out much easier.

11. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I line up a couple of mm above the line for it to come out.

12. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

millimeter's?????

What you talk'n bout??????????????

I say a 1/16

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Ahhh....I work with Euros and Chinese (actually in China) so I am all metric...ified

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Metric is the SUPERIOR system anyways.....

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

takes a little getting used to, but i'd have to agree. especially in dimensions under an inch.

going from 5/8 to 11/16 to 3/4 is ridiculous. you shouldn't need to identify lowest common denominators to spin wrenches and turn hand wheels.

and what's up with these new japi-merican cars... 17mm heads on 3/8-16 bolts? this is an outrage!!! :naughty:

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Weren't we supposed to be transitioned into the "metric" world starting about twenty years ago.....???? :lol:
    It would be a good idea, but I guess us and the Brits (probably the Aussies too) are still stuck in the old world

17. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

" japi-merican cars... 17mm heads on 3/8-16 bolts", what kind of cars have this?

Metric is definetly the more common system.