I awoke to shots fired today

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by madecov, Nov 1, 2006.

1. madecov

madecov Active Member

My days off are Tue/Wed
    Both my and I are LEO's and he lives at home.
    This morning the wife, daughter and dog were freaking out.

Evidently, some turd broke into a car (BMV) on the street right behind my house. The victim followed the suspect to my side of the block and confronted the turd (who was in my driveway) looking to break into another vehicle.
    The turd tries to get away, the old guy who had his car broken into (BMV) pulls a revolver and yells for the guy to hit the ground. The turd turns and approaches the victim who then fires a warning shot into the air. Turd plays Olympic sprinter and long jumper and beats feet .

My son and I grab our weapons and go to see what's going on while the wife and every other neighbor dial 911.

Sheriff's deputies get there in record time and start the search for the turd while interviewing the old guy victim.

What a cluster.

And yes, the gun I grabbed was my M40A1

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Old guy better hope that bullet didn't come down in somebody body.. 8-O
    Sounds like he's been watching too many TV shows........... :roll:

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

What would you have done if he ventilated him, madecov?

Seems borderline justified..

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

whoa cov, you just never know when it's gonna happen. hope the round landed safely.

i missed any part of the story where the "turd" had a weapon or showed intent to endanger, which leaves me thinking no ventilation was required, or justified.

5. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Guest

Under Texas law we are justified in protecting OUR property.

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

Yes we are, BUT
    he was way off base by not being anywhere near his property. He was around the block on MY property.

This one was way borderline.

7. Nothing illegal about following a person who just tried to break into your car.

Assault with a deadily weapon is illegal in most states, but defense of others or self-defense is an affirmative defense. Making a claim that someone was placed in danger by a car theft or that in some way it endangered yourself would be a little bit of stretch. In the majority of states defense of property is never an affirmative defense to the intentional killing of another whether it is your property or someone elses.

If it is true that in Texas defense of "others" property is an affirmative defense to assault than that is different, but in most states had he killed the guy he'd probably go down for murder and had his stray bullet killed someone else he'd probably go down for felony murder.

That guy should count himself as a lucky man that no one was hurt.

Civilians should protect themselves and their property, but shouldn't play police officer by trying to pursue someone in my opinion.

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

civilians shouldnt have guns

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

In Florida he would have been arrested for shooting in the air....He has no right to shoot someone over property in Florida and he shouldn't have chased the guy down with a pistol like that.....

+ 1 on the minister

10. Sound25

Sound25 Guest

I always wondered why people shoot into the air, when shooting into the ground, where you have a great backstop and a pretty good idea of where the round is going to go is going to be just as effective a deterant, as shooting into the air, the point is to let the turd know that you are armed, and you at least know how to shoot the weapon. I am glad that no one seems to be harmed out of this whole ordeal Madecov, thanks for the post.

11. celsee

celsee Guest

Mr. Apathy wrote:
    Whoa! I shouldn't have a gun? So just leo's should have guns?

Hope that was just a joke! 8-O

12. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

lookup the def of civilian. personally I dont want to be called civilian myself. I would prefer Citizen.

uphill battle with 2A "people","free state" and "security" is pretty well screwed. though I believe states with castle doctrine are definately step in right direction but we have plenty of hell holes in the total opposite direction where if you ever excercise your right to self defense even if your on your own property you might as well be dead cause youll get hit with an attack of a thousand papers cuts (lawsuits) and criminal charges. chicago Illinois and washington D.C. only select group of citizens can have guns and its not the civilians. they are places no one in right mind should label free or secure. wheres the puke smiley

check 2nd Amendment and Federal code defining militia organized and unorganized. believe the age limit may be up lately into the 50's
    state constitution and laws always good. encourage all to have copy of all even if it gives a headache. dictionaries are good to have as well. except for NFA were not dealing with Tax code you want to talk about headache 8-O

13. revjen45

revjen45 Member

It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age or disability. I didn't lose the ability or willingness to defend the Republic just because I'm old and fat. If I get off one round at the enemy I have paid for myself. Anything more is gravy.