Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum. I had read about the "hybrid" M9 9mm Steyr at Cabelas on this forum after I had already purchased one ($379.99)on 12/28, (not knowing the particulars). I must admit I was somewhat beside myself that I had not done a better job of researching what I was purchasing, but hindsight is 20/20. I went to the range that afternoon to see how the weapon behaved (75 rounds, 50 FMJ and 25 Federal HP) and I have to admit I was very pleased. No FTE's or FTF's, and I love the ergonomics. Believe it or not I went and bought another (for the spouse)the next day (after much deliberation) from Cabela's. For all I know it may be foolish, but the second one did as well as the first. If they continue to operate as they have I will more than likely purchase a M40-A1 in the next month or so.

I am a newbie with Steyr pistol ownership (I have known they make excellent weapons, but I have had Springfield XD .40 and .45 for quite a while). If anyone has suggestions, or advice, I would like to hear them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to hear this as i purchased one too although i did do some research and everything i have read was pretty good i dont see why they would be bad its all steyr parts just new and old mix and from what i read its like a gen 3 heres where i got my info http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-steyr-m9a1/ havnt got it yet lived out of state so waiting on shipping got my from dundee michigan

·
Registered
632 Posts
The PW Arms ones are fine most of the time.

They just get fussy on occasions.

I think the consensus on them is that your more likely to have issues out of the box.

If they are running fine now, your good to go.

You can correct the issues usually if they have them. There are members here who have them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Annnnnd.

Welcome to Steyr club.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all the info, I really am glad I purchased them. One question I have is where can one buy more of the 15 round mags that comes with them, I can reload a mag pretty fast, but it would be nice to have about 4 or 5 more. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome to the Steyr Club (wish I had a Steyr GB to give away)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I would recommend internet search and quick purchase of mags, although that would be just contributing to the issue...most of the hi-cap mags available are actually 17 rounders now - and from what I have been able to tell there is a bit of a run on them just like any other hi-cap mag. Cheaper than dirt has had then consistantly over the last 3 months or so, but last I checked they were out - and the quoted price was higher. I was hoping that we could avoid the hi-cap panic, being off here in our little backwater of Steyr fanatics, but unfortunately it is looking to me like we are going to be swamped in the Glock-mag market panic.

BTW, if you should develop any issues with your Cabela purchased M9, don't hesitate to do the things suggested here to improve the function of the gun. I did the bit about adding the 1911 plunger spring to the extractor and the gun has been flawless ever since - probably 600 rounds ago or so. Actually, I have never had an extractor which has extracted more positively on any gun I have ever owned. When I clear the gun I have to rack it back with some power to get the ejector to knock the round off the extractor it is holding it so nice and tight. I dare the shell that wishes to remain in the chamber!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info wsshroer, I appreciate the advice. I'll probably go to the range this weekend and shoot both. I don't expect any problems to arise (if they do I'll come here and see what needs to be done). I would love to find some 17 round mags ( if I can find 4 mags, 2 more for each pistol, I'll be set).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts