Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Steyr Scout in 308.

I am travelling to New Zealand next June to hunt Himalayn Tahr that live high on the mountain ranges. The shots are typically over 250 yards.

I am trying to get some advice on what sort of scope i should buy for this longer range shooting?

it has been suggested that i get a 3-9 x variable scope with a good brand. I know the Jeff Cooper scope is only 2.5 x and assume a struggle with this longer range shooting.

i would really appreciate any advice on what would be a good scope for my Scout.

many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first day on this forum and I can give advice. I have a Scout and an Elite, while I generally keep the Scout Scope on the Scout, I have played around with different configurations, mostly long eye relief variables.

There is nothing to prevent your mounting a conventional scope on the Scout .308. Leupold makes a nice set of QR rings and you can set a mount in the slot just in front of the rear pop-up sight. Col. Cooper was a strong critic of most telescopic sights, always recommending a single power over variables. I would think a 6X would be about right for the conditions you are likely to face in New Zealand. Any decent scope maker will do, but I'm fond of Leupold, myself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Z-600 reticle is less than $600.00 at midway and natchez. it is a great scope and has gotten favorable reviews.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 3-9X on mine most of the time. I use it for general stalking in a British context, with shots out to around 200m. The rear dovetail mount is the same configuration as the rest of the rail on the forend, so same style scope mounts will work fine. I agree that you are likely to struggle with the scout scope - I am a big fan of Col. Cooper, but for specific hunting duty, I have come to prefer a conventional scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts