HS50 on Headline News

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by feinc, Mar 21, 2007.

1. feinc

feinc New Member

Just caught brief news cast on Headline News showing Iraq/Iran soldiers training with various weapons systems including what appears to be Steyr HS50 !!!

I'm currently taping the news cast to capture the future replay (loop) to determine content of the telecast.

2. feinc

feinc New Member

Taped and watched the news cast several times – segment discussed how Iraq insurgents are traveling to Iran to be trained with several different types of weapons systems (including 50 BMG sniper situations) and then returning to Iraq for continuing insurgency operations. Portion of the video shows “soldier” firing 50 BMG from prone position at a man type target – rifle used appears to be Steyr HS50 including same “white Steyr logo” on the right side forward of the trigger that is imprinted on the Steyr HS50 I have.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The only thing is, no one has been able to produce serial numbers for these Steyr rifles supposedly found in the hands of insurgents (IIRC). They claimed to have seized a boatload of the rifles a month or so ago, but the news story quickly went away and no one has been able to produce proof that the rifles are, in fact, authentic Steyr rifles sold to Iran for "legitimate" reasons, and not just some cheap knock-off (Iran is known to produce copies of virtually all weapon systems they import). Steyr-Mannlicher has an article on their main page discussing this, but I cannot seem to locate it anymore :?: ...

4. That video was file video they've used a couple of times I'm sure.

I've seen it and it has never to my knowledge been used to do a story on the HS50 in the hands of terrorists in Iraq.

So far the only source that claims such BS is the UK Daily Telegraph and the AP who ran their story.

Nothing else has surfaced and Steyr Mannlicher still hasn't been able to confirm that any Steyr HS50 rifles were recovered.