HP loads for Kel Tec P11 and S&W 669

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Netfotoj, May 8, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If I ever live long enough to get back to the range ... surely this weekend ... I plan to try four different HP loads for my new pocket pistol, a Kel Tec P11. But I'm as ignorant as a yard dog to 9mm in general and pocket pistols of any caliber in particular. I'll also be testing my new-to-me S&W 669 subcompact, which is also making its first range trip. It did fine with a couple of clips of Silvertips and FMJs on some tin cans, but is not yet range tested.

I tend toward the heavier bullet weights with my M357-A1 and with 10mm, previously in my S&W 1076 and expect the same with my newly acquired Glock 29 (which will also be making its range debut for me). But since 9mm is not as robust velocity-wise as 10mm or 357 Sig, I would think a lighter weight would be best to yield acceptable speeds. At least that's how it seems to me, but again, I'm abysmally ignorant of 9mm rounds.

Plus I really don't know what to expect with this little lightweight P11 wonder. I have Corbon +P 125 gr. and +P 90 gr.; Winchester Silvertips (lost the box after loading up my four mags and don't remember the grain weight. Do Silvertips come in more than one weight in 9mm?) and WWB JHP in 147 gr. The Corbon 125 gr. promises 1,250 fps and the 90 gr. promises 1,500 fps. No fps promises on the Winchester boxes.

I'll be testing all four rounds to evaluate what I can hit best consistently with, but would also appreciate any advice about which rounds offer the best defensive capabilities and which are too light, too slow or whatever.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Speer makes a 9mm short barrel load for <3.5" barrels. It is a 124gr. +P load, part number 23611. I would probably go with that, as most modern 9mm JHP design revolves around fullsized barrels. Also see this page for a chart showing penetration from a 3.25" barrel. The 147gr. Ranger seems to be an excellent choice, as well. Remember - 12-15" in jello is our target depth...

3. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Excellent link, Syntax.

The trouble with hanging out on a gun board is that pretty soon, someone will make sense in a new way, and you will have to reconsider old conclusions. Between you and Netfotoj, you guys have me re-thinking my carry gun. I guess I will have to grab a son or two this weekend and head out into gun shop wilderness to see what is out there. I had been looking at moving up from my NAA in .32 to a NAA in .380, but if I can find something in a similar package in 9 mm, well ... who knows what might happen.

I never even considered a plastic pistol, didn't even like the idea, until my son let me shoot his M9. Then I had to have an M9 and a S9. And now I find myself wondering what other plastic guns there may be to replace the NAA .32 in my back pocket. Jeez, a guy's not safe even in his own home.

Doc

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

From what I have heard, the Winchester Ranger T line performs over the greatest range of muzzle velocity in most every caliber.
    It can be a pain to get sometimes, but it is my round of choice in 9mm, .40, and .45.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

+1. And it's almost always easier to get than some of the closest competitors, like the Federal HST for instance...

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

DocChronos,

You probably already know about it, but have you seen Bobo's pocket pistol chart?

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

The smallest 9mm is the Rohrbaugh 9mm (9 x 19 mm)
    Frame: Aluminum Alloy
    MSRP: $945
    Operation: DAO
    Capacity: 6 +1
    Overall Length: 5.2”
    Height: 3.7”
    Width: 0.91”
    Weight Empty: 14.3 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 17 oz.

Followed by Kahr 9mm (9 x 19 mm)
    Frame: Polymer
    PM9093 Matte SS Slide $707
    PM9094 Black SS Slide $737
    Operation: DAO; Slide Lock
    Capacity: 6 +1
    Overall Length: 5.6”
    Height: 4.3”
    Width: 1.10”
    Weight Empty: 16.7 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 20 oz.

Third sizewise is Skyy CPX-1 9 x 19mm
    Frame: Aluminum/Polymer
    MSRP: Black or Stainless
    Slide $290
    Operation: DAO; Slide Lock;
    Ambi Safety
    Capacity: 9 +1
    Overall Length: 5.7”
    Height: 4.6”
    Width: 1.00”
    Weight Empty: 17 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 22 oz.

With the single-stack and double-stack Kel Tec P-11 and P9 in fourth place sizewise.
    Kel-Tec P-11 9 x 19mm
    Frame: Aluminum/Polymer
    MSRP: Blued Slide $314
    MSRP: Park. Slide $355
    MSRP: Chrm Slide $368
    Operation: DAO; Slide Lock
    Capacity: 10 +1
    Overall Length: 5.9”
    Height: 4.4”
    Width: 1.30”
    Weight Empty: 15.6 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 20 oz.