How to reassemble GB???

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by SteyrGBx3, Jan 29, 2007.

1. SteyrGBx3

SteyrGBx3 Guest

I need help putting my GB back together. I took it apart to clean it and can't figure how to get the hammer functioning again. I know where each piece goes, but I don't know in what order or if they fit together in some particular way.

Anyone that has a GB, please take the slide off and take pictures of the hammer mechanism both cocked and decocked so I can get some idea of how it should be.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Chris :)

I really miss my ol' GB. <sigh> But, alas.... Anyway, ya disassembled it when it was cocked. I did that and I remember thinkin', "Oh God, plz help me get this foreign mo***rfuc**er back together. Seems like I had to kinda squeeze the trigger a bit as I slid the slide back kinda slow like. Try that at least until you can get more help from current SC GB owners. But, don't fret. You'll have 'er back together and functional again soon. G'luck. :)

Wulf

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hmmm... :idea:

On second thought, "Ya Broke it!" 8-O Ya oughtta cut your losses and part it out. <shrug> I'll give ya $250 for all the parts! :twisted:

J/K :^o

Wulf

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

What's a GB...........? It's monday, else I'd figure it out pretty fast.... :lol:

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

It is something that I sold and still kick myself for having sold. Look here:
    http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg71-e.htm

Mine was the military version and was incredibly reliable and the most accurate handgun that I have shot to date.

I will own another.

Buzz

6. SteyrGBx3

SteyrGBx3 Guest

Ok, after a day of looking at the gun, putting it together and taking it apart, and large quantities of swearing, I've determined how the thing is SUPPOSED to fit together. I have also determined that should I ever have the misfortune to end up in HELL, at least one level of said hell will involve the reassembly of one very lovely Steyr GB.

Here is how it works, as far as I can figure: If you look at the cut away of the GB in the above link, you can easily see the profile of the hammer, the springs that make the hammer function, and the trigger sear that sits right in front of the hammer. I some how have to make both springs, on either side of the hammer, hook underneath the rear lip of the sear. Somehow, I have to wind the springs from their current relaxed, zero potential energy, position to the point that they fit underneath the sear and provide that every so wonderful 15lb double-action trigger pull.

I'm open to suggestions as to how this may be accomplished.

Thanks!
    Chris

7. SteyrGBx3

SteyrGBx3 Guest

Reassembly accomplished!!!

I can almost definitely say why the Steyr GB failed to get the military or police contracts that many fans speculate it deserved. The answer to this question is springs. There are three non-captured springs in the gun. All three are a nightmare to put back in place. The trigger spring must be compressed to fit behind the slide stop pin. The two hammer springs must be compressed to fit under the sear. These are problems like I have never seen before.

The trigger spring is comparable to the slide stop spring in a glock. Only glocks have two pins, allowing the spring to be easily compressed by installing the top pin before the bottom pin. I can think of nothing to which I can compare the hammer springs.

Here is my solution for the hammer springs: I took the hammer and the sear and held them together outside the frame of the gun. I then used dental floss to bind the two together as tight as I could. I put the springs on and compressed them to fit, barely. I then installed the whole section as a single unit, put the two pins that hold the hammer and sear in place, and then cut and removed the bits of floss.

Were they to remake the GB, the biggest suggestion I could possibly make would be to make this rear unit of hammer and sear as a joined assembly that goes together and comes apart as a whole, much like the trigger assembly of a glock.

I hope someone can learn from this and have a quicker if not easier go of things when they make the mistake of completely taking apart their GB.

Chris

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

O Boy................. ](*,)

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Maybe this will help? http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/steyr_gb.pdf

Buzz

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member