How to convert M40A1 to M357A1 ?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DoctorW, Oct 31, 2007.

1. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Hi,

I am new beginner to Steyr. I just bought a M40A1 from CDNN.

How could I convert it to 357Sig? I really want to shoot both calibres, if possible.

2 questions:

1) I heard someone says that the only thing needed to do is to replace the barrel, and nothing else. Is that true?

2) Where to get 357Sig barrel for M pistol? How much is that?

Thanks a lot!

:shock:

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Doc* :)

Contact Carmen Schranz at IGB Austria. She'll fix ya up. I'd suggest contactin' her via email first at:

[email protected]

The Euro$ is pretty strong right now, so expect to pay a little more than $200 to your door. <shrug> Tell 'er Wulf sent ya and please drop the shippin'. I'm tryin' ta work a Club discount price out with IGB and I expect to know more inna couple weeks. <shrug> I'll post the prices she quotes me at that time. Good luck. :)

Wulf

3. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Thanks, Wulf.

I hope if we could gather some people to buy together to save money.
    $200 is acceptable but still a little too expensive.

Let's see what price you could get.

:roll:

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey Doc*...

...also, JR Shepard at Lone Wolf Distributors is tryin' ta work a deal to become their American Importer. Send him a quick email to solicit his support for better prices than available direct from IGB. Here's his contact info:

[email protected]

Tell 'im Wulf sent ya. Good luck and please PM me his resply. :)

Wulf

5. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Wulf, I e-mailed JR Sheperd as you said, but got no response yet.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Great news, Wulf! I've been looking at some Lone Wolf products for my Baddest Pistol plans, plus a 16" barrel and buttstock from IGB for my M357-A1. Be nice to get everything I need at Lone Wolf. I sent JR an email about it. :mrgreen:

7. mr. ford

mr. ford Guest

so to convert the m40 we just need a barrel? :)

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

From .40 to .357, yes...

9. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Really? Holy crap! What about the spring? Well shit do we have a group buy going or what...I'm a forty owner and I am in if others want to get a group order in....

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Really. See: World's First S357 Range Report

Removed the 357 Sig barrel from my M357-A1, pulled the barrel from BigTaco's S40, insert M357 barrel, shoot.

That simple. No springs or anything else changed. Of course the 4" barrel sticks out 1/2" from end of the S40 frame, but so what? Looked kinda cool, I thought. And of course if a M357 barrel went into a M40, it would fit perfectly. :mrgreen:

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Are you referring to the guide rod spring? It's actually the same in all three calibers. Barrel is the only think that needs swapped when going from .40 to .357SIG or vice versa...

12. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey DoctorW!

I got a conversion barrel for my M357-A1! Now it shoots 357 & 40 w/ a simple barrel swap. :shock:

In fact, a great deal became available on 6" 40S&W IGB barrel from MDWGuns. So I swooped that up and most likely plan to off the 4.8" 40S&W IGB barrel I originally got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like 357sig a whole lot more than 40 S&W, but 40 is a fair amount cheaper!

While 6" barrel was perfect out of the box, my 4.8" barrel was tight and required a signifigant break in and ultimately went to a smith for fitting!
    _______
    mugdava

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I want the 4" barrel if you sell it.....

;-)

14. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Babj!

Do You mean the 4.8" 40S&W IGB barrel? :shock:

Because the only 4" Steyr barrel I have is the stock 357sig barrel that came w/ my Steyr and it's definitely not for sale! :twisted:
    _______
    mugdava

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Yes, I meant the 4.8" barrel.....

:wink: :wink:

16. nixon

nixon Member

I want a 4.8 " in 357 sig. When are we going to get a good deal with IGB or is that Lone Wolf a US importer mentioned sometime ago by, was it Wulf ?

Nixon,

17. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I recently purchased a couple, no, three barrels from IGB in Austria....

They are very delightful to deal with.

However, the barrels had some 'issues' and they had to remake them.

..and then the new ones had some issues.....

...and they are remaking them again....

I have every confidence they will be correct this time...

...will post update after I test them this time...

18. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

That's a little uneasy to hear. Hah. The wait time is already kind of long and then for them to have to remake them not once but twice. :\

19. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I've been in touch with Carmen Schranz at IGB Austria concerning a Steyrclub group buy. There's been a delay because the Austrians are experiencing the equivalent of our 4th of July holiday. :shock: I emailed her this mornin' and expect a reply tomorrow, or at least, in the next few days. I'm dealing with an additional issue, that being the "drop in " issues for a couple problematic barrels that seem to have come outta the inventory of MDW Guns. IGB is tryin' to make good on whatever the problem with their M-A1 conversion barrels. It looks as though the barrels that have experienced the drop in difficulties are goin' to be replaced, no questions asked. IGB has purchased some M-A1's from CDNN and they are studyin' the tolerances. Also, I've been informed that the finish for the M- and S-A1 barrels are more refined with their newer conversion barrels. I'm a little behind the scenes while I'm "negotiating" with IGB to get a good Steyrclub group purchase price for conversion barrels, as well as any additional accessories in their product line and I'm not currently in the position to elaborate. <shrug> BTW, I really haven't the faintest what to expect price-wise or after market accessory-wise until Carmen can get back to me. :shock: The Euro$ is very strong at present and I'd be very surprised to see the conversion barrels go as low as $150 +shipping to our doors for Steyrclub members. <shrug> And, as I said, JR Shepard at Lone Wolf Dist'rs is currently tryin' ta gain the American Importer position for IGB Austria and it could be that the Steyrclub will ultimately deal directly through them rather than goin' direct through IGB in Austria. This will be a big deal at the Vegas SHOT in February so, IMHO, we should show our support for an American-based IGB distributor, and make known our appreciation to IGB for their wonderful after market product line for our Steyr firearms. Anyway, I'm sorry not to have the prices available yet. But, as soon as I have them, I'll post them. <shrug> Hava great week. :)

Wulf

20. nixon

nixon Member

Wulf,
    Yo da man !!!

Nix,