How often should I brush or clean the M9 barrel?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by hiramabiff, Nov 8, 2005.

1. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

Though seems obvious... but this is just one of my concerns. Should I be cleaning and polishing the inner part of the barrel every after use say 50 or 100 rounds [as I dont shoot much]? I've been hearin people say the its bad for the barrel.

What other method could I use to clean my barrel that wont affect the barrel badly?

2. theFiasco

theFiasco New Member

hiramabiff,

After 2k rounds, my M9 hasn't needed a brushing, but after 500 rounds,
    my S9 needed it. The S9 is getting more of the WWB rounds--maybe
    that's the difference. The M9 saw mostly Federal American Eagle ammo.

tF

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

If I go to the range (class) with a dirty gun the sherriff range master gives us crap.....and that's only after shooting 100 rounds or so the week before............you'll be older and grayer (greyer?) before you wear down a steel barrel with a bronze brush..........or a snake..........
    enjoy the clean barrel, it helps your accuracy and reliability..........

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

I use a brass brush after each session. Brass is softer than steel so I don't think it will affect the barrel much. I use a healthy dose of solvent first, then brush clean and repeat.

I use several types of solvent and bore cleaners. I hate a dirty weapon.

5. bigbob68

bigbob68 New Member

I clean the Barrel after each range session. Iusually go every week and shoot about 200+ rounds and the BBl does seem dirty. I also clean my mags and frame but I am anal about those things that are relied upon to save lives.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't yet have my M9, but with my other handguns, I keep them lubricated fairly often (maybe every 200-400 rounds) but only occasionally fully strip them down or brush out the barrel. Maybe every 1000 rounds or so.

As for the rifles, hehe, I'm embarrassed to say. I've got a ruger 10/22 I've had since the early 90's. I've probably put about 12,000 rounds through it and I think I've cleaned it 3 times. Works perfectly.

7. uncle_walty

uncle_walty New Member

My I clean my 10/22 more often but the factory 10 round mags gets gummed up after a thousand rounds or so and I have soak it or take it apart. Tricky to put them back together correctly. I do shoot whatever is on sale so that might be the problem.

8. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

cleaning the barrel

I use a fibre type brush. Kleen Bore sells them and you do not have to worry about scratching the barrel.[/b]

9. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

.... :oops: this is my great concern now, I hope I have not damaged the barrel... as I have nothing much to do... well like a newly weded couple I like... :twisted:

.... will be shooting it on this Saturday and will NOT clean the barrel with steel brush anymore! :wink:

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Use Nylon, Brass or Bronze brushes. These materials are softer than the steel barrel and will not harm the barrel (IMHO).

After all , the high speed copper jacketed bullet leaving the barrel causes more wear than cleaning will.

11. hiramabiff

hiramabiff New Member

thanks for making me feel better... perhaps you are aware now what I have been doing if I am not in the range! :lol:

12. broas

broas New Member

bringing up this thread from the dead.

how often should i clean the M9A1 barrel?

i use lead reloads. would this mean i should clean my bore more often?

how clean is clean? shiny bore = clean?
    first time, redisol with bore cleaner + patches = couldn't remove much of the residue.
    second time, redisol with bore cleaner + bronze bore brush = couldn't remove couple of dots from the bore.

how to properly use a bore brush? when i used it, i was like masturbating and i still couldn't get off...all the gunk. :whistle: the maintenance tutorial said pass the brush through the bore a couple of times.

is solvent necessary to clean the bore? my gunrange says they use kerosine to clean the bores of their rentals. is it safe to use on my bore?

i've only shot 280 rounds through my M9A1. first 80 were armsorp FMJ. rest were range lead reloads. cleaned it after 160th round. again after 280th round. i think it doesn't need that much cleaning but i'm still getting to know my M9A1 at this point.

i'm seriously dumb about gun cleaning. gun oil kept oozing out of the loaded chamber indicator area after i cleaned my gun. gun cleaning smarts needed.

13. NicoX

NicoX New Member

they use kerosene and a compressor because they have to clean a lot of gun´s.. don´t do that.. I see it here doing it and it´s horrible..

I use reloads to, because here it´s expensive to shot. And the S9A1 I clean it if I shot only 50 rounds because I carry it and I hate the gun dirty, but the M I use it for IPSC and range, so I clean it between 200 to 400 rounds..

I clean my car if it is raining or twice a week.. so I think I´m not a good example!

Shot a lot and then U have a good excuse to clean it ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...if you have oil oozing out of anywhere after you clean it, it isn't clean.....

:wink: :wink:

Sounds way over lubed to me....

....and try not to shoot lead reloads.... they dirty the gun so much faster....

I only shoot FMJ ammo.... and clean my babies EACH time I fire them..... such that they are always clean, lightly lubed, and ready to party at all times!!!!

:party: :party:

15. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Not sure if this was the tutorial you were referring to, if not, try reading this: M and S Series cleaning/maintenance tutorial (found on the home page. :wink: ) It will help give you a good place to start...

-D

16. nixon

nixon New Member

hiramabiff,
    I second Madecov. Use bronze brush. How often is very subjective. Look through the barrel in a well lit area or location in your house so that you can see if there are visible dirt.

by the way, I'm also a traveler from the east.

Nix,

17. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i use a brass brush on the inside of the barrel and a synthetic brush on the ramp, and outside. I used a brass brush on the outside and it will definetly scratch the finish.