how much to ship the M9A1?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BTF/PTM, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

First off, I will quite happily say that Steyr's customer service is AWESOME. I just called them about my FTE problem, and the phone didn't even ring twice before it was answered by a real live human being, not just an automation that gave me a bunch of options. I described the problem and was transferred to Jeff in service who again was great. Listened to the problem, concluded that since the gun likes to pull the casing about half way out and then let go, it's almost definitely an extractor/spring problem. So, on to my question.

He said he could ship an extractor out to me, but if I sent the gun back, he'd put 100 rounds thru it to make sure it was functioning properly. To me, that's good insurance. So, I know there are a couple ways to ship a gun; one is the expensive way of overnighting it with a special firearms shipping label. The other, I believe, is to disassemble it and send the parts wrapped up and then it is shipped as "tools" or "parts". Anyone have experience with this? I'm on the west coast, so shipping will be quite pricey if I overnight it as a whole unit.

Once again, thanks to Steyr for having great service!! :D

2. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Ok, I just answered my own question. For those who may also be curious, I talked to UPS directly and got information. It does NOT need to be overnight shipped if it is listed as an "antique firearm" and there is no ammo shipped with it. It can remain assembled as long as the magazines are not inserted. Cost of shipping? About 13 bucks from San Diego, CA to Cumming, GA assuming a 5-pound shipped weight and a box about the same size as the steyr case. Not bad, I'll send it out tomorrow. :)

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Sweet!!!

Let us know ho it works out..

Seems that for most repairs to be done to the Steyr it will have to be shipped.. I myself think $50 or $60 for a spring to be replaced is a little steep..

Well I have read that a lot of guns are just about new when they come back.. So that might be worth the shipping???

Good luck.........

4. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

^ it's a warrantied repair, won't (shouldn't) cost me anything aside from shipping. The gun is only a few months old, 350 rounds thru it.

5. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

6. rosebud

rosebud New Member

NO NO NO NO NO.
    It is stupid, and illegal, to place firearms labels on a package being shipped or checked in luggage. It is just a big 'steal me' sign. I don't intend to get down on you specifically, but I have been seeing this myth/lie show up all over the internet for years now. Please pass on the truth.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

go read the ATF site:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/

Technically, you are required to notify the common carrier (UPS, FEDEX) that you are shipping a firearm. They will then want to charge you $40 for overnight, which is *their policy* and not the law. I ship ground with adult signature required when I send to a gunsmith, as I don't enjoy unequal treatment from the common carrier.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

If you do as you plan and ship on the cheap as an antique, be aware if it is lost in transit the insurance is null and void as you lied when declaring it.

To ship a firearm you are required to use common carrier, you have to follow the policy of the carrier. The policy is registered with the ICC as a published tarrif .

8. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

If it is an extractor problem -- it is purely a "top end" issue. Just send in the complete top end without the frame (trust me, they'll have one to use for the firing tests). Since no frame is involved -- it isn't a firearm anymore and you can ship the top end via USPS Priority Mail if you choose...

If you opt for shipping the entire firearm, you must use a common carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) and by law, you must declare the contents as being a handgun. At that point, you are bound to comply with the common carrier's policy -- whether you agree with it or not. Truly sending in the affected parts (the top end in this case) makes life much simpler, less expensive, and within compliance of all laws and regulations.

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

The above is correct. I would also send the barrel, as the extractor, slide and barrel are "mated" after firing.

10. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Thanks for the input! I haven't shipped it out yet, simply due to my weeking being freaking busy with a move to another condo. Hopefully I can get it shipped tomorrow. I'll definitely ship it as a declared firearm in order to avoid the nullified insurance, but I think I will send the whole beast just for my own piece of mind. I wanna know for sure that the whole gun has been tested as it will be fired by its owner :)

11. Rick

Rick New Member

Should this be considered one of the Sticky items? Seems like it could help stop some of the bad info out there. Just a $.02 thought.

12. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Update!

I actually got a call from Steyr today. I am absolutely amazed and THOROUGHLY impressed 8) Thus far, Steyr's customer service puts Sig Sauer's service to shame, and that says a lot becuz Sig really does have solid customer service (dealt with them extensively, they have good people).

The M9 was worked on at some point today, Jeff says that the extractor is in fact an old design that has since been improved. So, he either has, or will tomorrow, replaced the extractor, pin and spring with the new unit, test the gun with 100 rounds of WWB and send her back if it passes the test. He mentioned that a lot of guns have needed the upgrade.

A big thanks to Steyr for being so attentive to their customers, again I am really impressed!!

13. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

I experienced a number of FTE since purchasing my M9A1 new less than 6 months ago. Sent it back to SAI--extractor and all related components exchanged under warranty. Had the pistol back in less than 2 weeks. It did however cost about $50 to overnight it through UPS. But I can say so far, so good. Shot about 150 trouble-free rounds yesterday. Just curious about the manufacture date. Seems this is a common problem but with an equally common solution. My SN 047XXX. Does this indicate that it's older and maybe the problem does not occur in newer models with the updated extractor?

14. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Update!

Talked to Jeff at Steyr today, the M9 was mailed on monday and is on its way back to me. Pistol has a new extractor assembly AND a fresh recoil assembly. Jeff noted while testing the gun that the lock-up wasn't quite as snug as he liked, so he made it right. Gotta love good thorough technical service. Thanks again to Steyr for the outstanding service and for going out of their way to make the repairs even better than expected. I can't wait to get the gun back in my hands to test it out!

Oh, and for those who asked, the serial number on mine is 044xxx, so it's definitely an older model. Does someone know how to track the specific production date? Should I call Steyr to find out?

15. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

This might seem like a stupid question but when SAI returns ships your pistol does it have to be sent to an FFL? If so, do the FFL's charge you a fee for doing so?

16. rosebud

rosebud New Member

No, and no. You already own the firearm, so no transfer has taken place.

17. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

Alrighty, I was just curious.

18. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i sent mine yesterday and Jeff at SAI, said i could just put it in a box and ship it normal UPS, so thats what I did. When to the little pack and ship around the corner and mailed it off.

19. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

gun is here =)

It came home today, Jeff really cleaned her up good after the testing. It now has the new extractor assembly with the beveled spring pin (it had the rounded pin originally). I can't feel a difference with the new recoil spring, but that's what makes Jeff the man and me the newbie :) Can't wait to put a couple hundred rounds through it, I'll probably go tomorrow.