How many Steyr GBs here?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by SteyrGBx3, Dec 12, 2006.

Do you own a GB and if so how many?

1. None

40.6%
  2. 1

43.8%
  3. >1

15.6%
  1. SteyrGBx3

SteyrGBx3 Guest

Just curious, how many of y'all have GB's and whats your experience been with them? Between my dad and my self, we have 3 of them, two functioning and one with a broken hammer. I personally can't rave about them enough, but I don't know how prevalent that opinion is.

Anyone that knows of a source for GB parts, please let me know.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I wish I had one. if the accuracy is anywhere near as good as I hear it is, suprised it isnt made for competition. wonder how it would compare to Sig P210 or the S&W Custom 952 in accuracy.

3. hypertex

hypertex New Member

Most accurate auto there is in my book, esp. double-action. As for your broken hammer SteyrGBx3, a decent machinist should be able to reproduce that for you. Just make sure that the notch the sear catches is sharp and deep.

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I had one but sold it. I could kick myself. I bought it some time around 1988 or 1989. This was around the time of the military trials. It was the military model with the olive drab coloring, not the crinkle finish. My understanding is that of the 10,000 GBs only 10% were the military model. The gun was a nail driver. It never missed a beat and along with an HK P9s was one of the two most accurate guns that I've had the pleasure to shoot. The gun was incredible and if I get another opportunity to acquire a military model I won't hesitate. Unfortunately I know that it won't cost me the $300 that I paid for it the first time (sold it seven years later for $450). Why did I sell it? The main reason (this was before the Internet) was that I couldn't find magazines and I only had one.

Buzz

5. Tifosi

Tifosi Guest

Still got mine, bought it in 84, I think, no problems, just a PITA to clean. Wish I bought some more magazines though. Way ahead of its time!

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Wulf <-- Considers Self an Idiot, too :roll:

Bought one for around $400 in '84 and sold it for school books in '86. Though I got more than I paid for it and 2 mags, that deal ranks as Onna the Dumbest Trades Ever. <shrug> I may even have edged out a few Darwin Award contestants. My GB was point and shoot accurate, though I kinda wonder what my M357-A1 with a 6" polygonal barrel is capable of, by comparison. Damn sure wasn't very concealable. "Hawgleg" comes to mind, but what can you expect from a 18 +1 capper :!: I can remember takin' it with me deer huntin' in East Texas and poppin' an armadillo 9 times with some ball ammo. I still recall my disbelief at that little tank sustaining so many hits and still crawlin' into his hole. That was one reason I became a bit weary of the 9MM ball ammo. JHP's is the only way to go. Ahead of its time, YEAH! In my personal experience, anyone who ever shot it was impressed by the accuracy and the very light perceived recoil, especially when the mag was full. :wink: Oh well, guess ya wouldn't be an Earthling without a few regrets. <shrug> BTW...

Hey Ever'body, Happy Holidays :p

Wulf

7. TacticalAug

TacticalAug New Member

I had a chance to fire one years back and I would say it's the most smooth gas operated pistol that I ever fired besides HK P7M8. Even though it's not as good looking as any other pistol on the market. The recoil was almost none. Too bad they stop making it!!!

8. DLaw

DLaw New Member

I'm now in the club. Just picked mine up the other day. Now if I could find a holster and some mags I'd be in good shape...

9. whittles

whittles Guest

I have one. I picked it up off of GB with two mags. I went to my ffl holders shop to pick it up. I was explaining how difficult it was to find magazines for it. He said I may have a couple. I said to him that there is no way he had any Steyr GB magazines. He mostly deals in old Winchesters and the like. As I am talking about how they are worth between $150-225 he hands me two GB mags from a cardboard box full of all different magazines. He explained that he always buys boxes of magazines at gun shows even when he has no idea what guns they go to. He said that he always makes his money back on his investment eventually. He then said, "Tell me again what they are worth." then laughed. "How about the pair for $100.00?" Sold!!!

I love the design. I am a machinist and am thinking about making some after market parts for them. I would start with magazines. Which would be quite a challenge, but I have been looking into it. Then I would like to make a drop in compensator bushing like the original from Steyr. (If I could find someone that would let me have it for a while to take measurements.) I would also like to make a drop in kit for getting to a nice two stage 2lb trigger. Or at least develop a procedure for getting a nice trigger. What kind of parts would Steyr Club GB owners like to see available?

Has anyone actually put a GB on a Ransom rest and done any real objective accuracy testing?? My father has a Ransom rest and I have been thinking about doing some accuracy work with it.

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Whittles, if you build it the GB'ers will come!

Some years back in some gun digest they took a bunch of semi-autos and put them on a Ransom rest for comparison. I think the P210 was most accurate followed closely behind by the GB and HK P9s. I seem to recall the groups being tiny, sub-one inch, maybe three-quarter inch.

Buzz

11. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

Re:

I suppose you are referring to the mid part of the outer barrel where carbon logically builds up during shooting.

I think I found an easy way to get it clean in a wink. Here, it's called Cillit Bang, apparently Easy-Off BAM in the US. I just dip the end of a q-tip in it and then, all I have to do is wipe the part to be cleaned with it. I hardly have to scrub.

It also does wonder on the cylinder face of my S&W 629 and Taurus Raging Bull.

[WARNING]
    ATTENTION : Use this only on stainless steel or chromed parts, NOT on blued steel as it will get stained.
    [/WARNING]

[Edit]
    For you to better see how well it works, I made a little video (58 MB). Here it is.
    [​IMG]
    [/Edit]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

A little update about the GB & Me. ;)

A guy doing some housekeeping in the Paris gunstore he is working in found some GB mags. Lurking once in a while on a french gun board I am member of, he noticed I own a GB. So, he asked me if I was interested.

You bet I was !!!

And, here I am, the new owner of FIVE GB mags for 30€ each (about 47 US$). Three of them seem just unused. He also gave away an original manual including the test target (serial P 02192 / may 1982).

How about some family picture ? Here it is :
    [​IMG]

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Nice find! I guess it pays to live in Europe for GB owners. I'm sure several or all of the GB owners here would kill to get their hands on GB mags for that price. I have one friend who owns a GB with just one lonely mag. :(

14. Broondog

Broondog New Member

i'm up to 2 GB's and 6 mags. one of my pair is a "park'd" model and came with the 2 original park'd mags, and the other is the standard "crinkle" finish. alas, some previous owner thought it would be cool to put Millet target sights on the crinkle.

but the park'd one came with an original military holster and double mag pouch. now that is truely sweet!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

The front sight seems to have been changed, too, which is quite odd since it is integral, both of the slide and the bushing.

Could we have a bigger pic of it alone, please ?

16. Broondog

Broondog New Member

the front sight appears to have been professionally milled off. the slide was then drilled out and the taller sight was double pinned on. the workmanship is excellent and the sight is rock solid. the pistol holds 2 inch 18rd groups at 15yds and 4 inchers at 25, so i can't complain about accuracy. i does kinda bum me out that somebody would mess with it like that though.

here's the pics you requested Joel.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yeah, that's a S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman in the background. it's my desktop companion!

Attached Files:

17. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

Thanks a lot. Pretty odd looking, indeed.

18. DLaw

DLaw New Member

For those of you who own GB's and are looking for a kydex holster, Rich at Custom Carry Concepts is looking at manufacturing one, get ahold of him if you're interested..

19. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Yes, I think I found him a dummy gun to mold from. A gas powered pellet gun on evil bay. See the holster thread!!

20. Sonic

Sonic Guest

I bought one new in the mid 80`s. I walked into a shop to buy some ammo & saw one in the display case. I asked to see it & ended up walking out of the store with it. That was before the wife & kids when I could afford to be impulsive like that. I miss those days.

Ive managed to acquire two extra mags over the years. I got one from a vendor at a gunshow who admitted he had been taking it to shows for a year & didnt know what it fit. I got that mag for $25. Sometimes the gun gods smile down upon you.

The local Cabelas recently had a commercial model with two mags, box, cleaning rods & manual for $700. It didnt last long.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008