How many bullets do you keep in your clip?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by LoveMySteyr87, Jan 24, 2017.

1. LoveMySteyr87

LoveMySteyr87 New Member

I've heard that keeping your clips filled to the max (17) is bad for the magazine's spring. Is this true?
    If so, how many bullets do you keep in the clip for conceal carry?
    How many do keep loaded for home protection?

2. Hurry1996

Hurry1996 Active Member

3. LoveMySteyr87

LoveMySteyr87 New Member

Cool thanks, guess I'll keep a full loaded clip all the time then.

4. Firuzan

Firuzan New Member

Max to the top is bad for all kind of springs. 10 max is ok for a 17 round clip for a mid term keep

5. 355-moki

355-moki New Member

jnaq91 and scott harrell like this.
  6. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

Perhaps not exactly the same, but in February 2009 I loaded nine Gen 2 PMAGs with 30 M193 cartridges. I've been firing one magazine per year. Last year, the seventh year, once again the magazine worked flawlessly.

7. Voetsek

Voetsek New Member

Dont know if its an old wives tale or not, but we used to always load less than max cap for our long term storage mags. (mags loaded in a "o shit kit") 30 rds got 28, 15 got 13, etc. Heard stories of springs failing when at full cap for a long period of time (I think a lot of this is attributed to a dirty magazine, yes you need to clean them occasionally).

I would hope that with the newer magazines (not clips) the manufacturers have corrected any possible issues with the springs loosing tension after long term compression.

Either way, I keep 15 in my 17rd mag.

8. ABnormal

ABnormal New Member

My dad had a WW2 Ithaca 1911 he purchase in the early 1970's and sold within a couple of years. He kept a mag pouch it came with, complete with 2 old, slightly rusty magazines filled with 1940's production ammo. I came across it in a closet last year. I asked him about it and he said he had never used them, they had come like that and he had never even unloaded them. Curious as to whether or not the springs had weakened, I took them to the range and fired 200-300 rounds of new production ammo out of them. Both worked 100%. I was very surprised!

I wish he had kept the pistol. He said it was all wobbly and inaccurate, and had a weird stain across the top which gave him the willies thinking it might be some sort of blood spatter. I also came across the original receipt from a hardware store in Atlanta and the information of the person he sold it to. Said he went back there later on and bought a Webley MkIV .38 which he still has for $30 and a mint AC45 P38 for $40 which is now mine. He said they also had Lugers but he thought they were too expensive at $60!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. Andromeda451

Andromeda451 New Member

Hi,

Springs that are kept in a compressed state "may" weaken with age but when one looks at the cost of a magazine even being concerned about it is a waste of brain cycles. I mark my magazines, I don't let them sit fully loaded. My EDC weapon has magazine #1 with 17 rounds ready to go. I cycle the 124gr JHPs every 6 months. If and when I get a magazine failure that magazine hits the trash and I procure a fresh one. The point is that magazines are a disposable item. If the SHTF my loader enables me to load my 6 magazines rather effortlessly. Avoiding the continual religious arguments over fully loaded versus empty is the better route. Treat the magazine as a disposable item and devote brain cycles to better shooting... :)

Just my 2 cents.

Miksti likes this.
  10. scott harrell

scott harrell New Member

I have always kept my mags(not clips) loaded. I have had some loaded for 2 decades and they still function properly. I do however usually rotate my mags to insure they all function correctly.

11. mangobot

mangobot New Member

I'm in MA, so 10+1. I usually keep a couple loaded at one time.