How is 'Steyr Mannlicher' properly pronounced

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, May 13, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone?

:?: :?: :?:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I believe it is pronounced like "S-tire Man-like-err"

Steyr is pronounced like s-tire and mannlicher is pronounced with a hard K sound for the ch.

3. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I remember someone on the GT boards from the town os Steyr saying it was Sch-tire.

just plz not Steer :roll:

4. srfl

srfl New Member

Das ist richtig!

(That's right!)

A German word with "st" is pronounced as an "sch"....that's one of the few things I remember from my college German classes.

5. AMX

AMX New Member

6. silversilvia

silversilvia New Member

my friend was reading it the other day for the first time. he said "S-tire Man licker?"

i laughed :)

7. Alabama

Alabama New Member

I've always thought 'Man-licker' is the correct pronunciation. Though Mannlicher didn't make it the Italian manufacturer copied the trigger action made by Mannlicher at the time for their Mannlicher-Carconnen, the 6.5mm rifle used by Oswald. That's my research, though, so feel free to refute me!

And, yep, I think Sch-tire is correct.

Levan, where are You! I know, Georgians don't speak German, but I bet you'd have a better perspective on this than a guy from the backwoods of Alabama...
    Then again, we've still got a bunch of German/Czech/Austrians down there...

8. Matches

Matches New Member

It has been a long time since I took German but I'm sure Sch-tire is correct. As for Mannlicher, I would have to guess it is Mahn-leek-her or close to this phoenetic spelling. Again this is a guess based on a poor knowledge of German from a few years of classes 15 years ago.

Matches

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi!

As an Austrian I can help you with that:

Sch-tire is right, the Mannlicher should be a little bit harder for you.

the -ch is not a k - it`s nearly impossible to explain it, because you have no compareable sound in english!
    For that here is a link how to say ..ch http://www.ex.ac.uk/german/abinitio/pronounce/

perhaps that helps....

10. CGuns

CGuns New Member

Yep to all of the above.

I called the company a couple times in Austria. The receptionist pronounces it as suchL

Sch ti yer Mann li ch' er

the "ch" is almost a "k", but sounds like Mann lich air

Rgds, CGuns

11. Guest

Guest Guest

That is a great link, Danke!

Jeff

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks....

Good to know I was not the only one having a hard timing saying it correctly.

Thanks,
    Ruggles

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Out here I've been getting corrected for several years that I'm saying it all wrong, 'It's STARE' they say. I keep talking as if I didn't hear them because I had tired of the subject when it was Heckler and Koch being discussed.

Yes I've been saying it right. My German is crummy but I remember pronunciation!