How durable is the Steyr finish?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

My M9-A1 has been in a leather holster maybe 3 times and it has what can only to be finish wear (color of the finish is lighter) on the top and slide near the muzzle. :eek: :?

The holster does fit a bit tight; the gun won’t fall out if you shake the holster upside down. I don’t have any other holsters so don’t know if that is too tight or not. But I doubt holsters should be loose.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Odd - maybe the holster is "too tight". Aren't there ways to break in leather holsters (like wrap gun in a sock or something)? I stick to kydex, so I'm afraid I won't be much help.

I've reholstered my M9A1 an untold number of times (blade-tech uch) and there is zero wear to date.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Wolf :)

Did ya try putin' a pencil eraser to it? 8-O

Wulf

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

It has the tennifer type finish, so the top coat is no big deal. think Glock, its that tuff.............. 8)

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

no I haven't, what could it do?

btw the worn finish loosk dry, like if the rest of the slide was wet/coated with oil...

So is the holster should be that tight or is it normal?

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Holster wear? :lol: :lol:

The stippling on the plastic is gone on my M40A1, and the front part of the slide is starting to shine. I bought it to use it, not look pretty.

I love it.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The corners of the front of mine shows silver lines of the underlying tennifer.

8. EmesiS

EmesiS Guest

I noticed when I was breaking my FIST #2 in with my M40 A1 there was a light leather 'dust' that accumulated on my slide; a good, lightly oiled, rubbing removed this residue and returned my slide to a NIB appearence. The leather 'dust' seemed to stick to the slide and during the break-in I also feared I was excessively waring my finish but the slight cleaning eased all my concerns. Also I would suggest wrapping your gun in plastic wrap or Saran Wrap before using it to break-in your new holster.
    Hope to Help and Happy Shooting

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Try a good rubdown with a silicone cloth. I’d bet that will end you’re concerns. Use the wool type cloths not the cheap'o coton fabric ones that make a bunch of lint and fuzz.