How do you ship a handgun for repair

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by ChillyWilly, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I have been looking around and I am little unclear and I am shipping from Nazifornia so I want to be sure.

USPS- No (long guns only)
    FedEx- No
    UPS- Yes, next day air only with signature required and must inform driver
    DHL- No

Is this correct? Is there anything else you can suggest? what was your own experience?

Thanks

Jerry

2. nixon

nixon Member

chilly,
    see M and S forum index. We have a discussion of shipping topic.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've shipped pistols via FedEx. Their company policy says it's gotta be next-day air, so they get you for the freight.

I haven't used UPS, but have heard that they do allow a lower-rate, then heard from others that they don't. ???

4. West01

West01 New Member

FedEx Air mail and insured. Make sure of the address of delivery is certain and the pistol is unloaded.
    Put a plastic "Tie rap" thru the pistol (Mag well and slide port) and another on the plastic box. Its symbolic but it proved that you are serious. It is recommend also to spray generously the firearm with lube (Rem. oil for ex.) and put it in a plastic. You never know the condition of transit. Make sure that you take note of the serial and model numbers before shipping.

Cheers!

West01

:D

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Alternative suggestion: Disassemble and ship it regular ground with UPS/Fedex insured, in 2 shipments, as parts. Receiver in one box and everything else in the second.

Fruck the $65 airmail. Fruck those iceholes.

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I've told Fedex a few times I was shipping a handgun and they didn't make me ship airmail, probably a screw up on their end, but I the law only states that you must inform them it's a handgun, not that they must ship airmail.

I was shipping a hangun INSTATE, about 2 hours away to a repair site, and UPS insisted on charging me $60 for airmail. I took it to Fedex and they did it for $12.

7. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

I did this at a UPS store a few weeks ago, shipping my Taurus PT140 for some warranty work. I got it all weighed and priced and when the guy asked for the contents I said "Firearm". He marked the invoice (not the box) and $15 later it was off to the Taurus factory, fully insured. I guess he didn't know any better.

8. Bo Heck

Bo Heck New Member

Link does not work for me. I can simply take it to my FFL and let them ship usps first class or something can't I? What about when SAI is done with it, can they ship it to me, or does it have to go back to a FFL?

9. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

Yes, I would suggest asking your local FFL to ship it. The worst that can happen is they can say no. The best is that they can get your firearm shipped for much cheaper than you would be able to do yourself.

Since is repair work, they should be able to send it right back to you.

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

1) Yes, if they'll do it for you, and you'll probably save over airmail via UPS, etc.

2) Yes, SAI will ship it direct to you, for a fact.

11. rosebud

rosebud New Member

12. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I ended shipping both of my tauruses out for some warrenty work a few weeks ago and I just went through my local FFL. It is far cheaper for them to ship it than it is for me. My one year was almost up on my pistols and I wanted them to redo the finish on both of them. :)