How do you guys install/uninstall sights on your MA1?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by kraigster414, Nov 12, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Use a sight pusher? If so which one? The old punch, hammer and vice routine?

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

HeHeHe...

Already screwed one of mine up trying both of those methods....

Had to send it out for refinishing....

Jack @ SAI suggested to me about a year ago that they would have sight pushers available within the year....

Nothing yet, that I am aware of.....

I have a great gunsmith who abhors sight pushers and suggest custom fitting each set of sights to each slide....

And so, he is installing a set of sights on my refinished slide for me....

If you find anything better, let us know!

:wink: :wink:

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I have good luck with dedicated sight pushers made by MGW. 'Got one for Sig, Glock, and XD. But I'll let you in on a secret, surprisingly few people know about it, but B&J Machine makes a "Universal Sight Tool (P500) for around a hundred bucks that works with virtually every gun out there. Midway Arms, Brownells, etc. sells it. I don't have my new MA1 yet but I am anxious to see if it too will work with the P500. I just drifted a 1911 rear sight with this handy tool and it was effortless. Stay tune. :) Read the reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Thats the POS I have....

...and it does NOT work with the Steyr Sights....

...at least, not the version I have...

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

That's interesting because everyone I know who has one loves the darn thing - you just have to be careful how you line things up. I guess it depends on what gun you use it on. What was the problem in your case, just curious?

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

The 'Pushers' it came with [only 2 sizes] were just a bit too wide and burred up the slide while pushing out my rear sight....

...and neither will push out the front sight....

Do you have something I do not?

:? :?

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I think I have 3 pushers but I understand too, that if you call the manufactuer they will custom make/provide other sizes. At least that's what I heard but don't hold me to that.