How do you adjust the side to side on the M40-A1?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,
    I am new to the Steyr club and only shot my new M40-A1 for the first time yesterday. It appears as though it is shooting consistently about 3 inches left at 15 to 20 feet. Is there any way to adjust the side to side sights?? Any answers would be appreciated as I am suppposed to qualify with this beautiful weapon later this week.

Thanks for any help! Also, if anyone is still looking for a Police Duty Holster, Desantis makes a really nice Nylon High ride duty holster.

Bob

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

first make absolute sure its not you that causes the shots to go anywhere but center. then check the front and rear sight and determine which one is off. use a pin punch and mallet or hammer. slow easy taps and check the alignment.

bore laser may help

welcome to the club

3. Guest

Guest Guest

OK. I'll try that!

Thanks,

I am going to put a hundred more rounds through it tomorrow just to make sure. I am fairly confident though, as I typically do not have problems with my Glock and just qualified with it in October. It is already sold, and good riddens. I'm like a kid in a candy store with my new Steyr.

Bob

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Send some rounds from a bench or other supported position first to verify the sight alignment problem

5. madecov

madecov Active Member

Out of all the Steyr's I've handled I have never seen one with the sights being off.

I would definatly practice some more and shoot from a rest. If you have any friends who are experienced shooters let them try it and see if the results are the same.

6. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

I'm quite sure you were a Glock shooter, aren't you?
    Every Glock shooter shoots a few inches to the side - simply because they are used to the Glock trigger. Normally a STEYR pistol shoots straight were you aim....

7. Guest

Guest Guest

All good advice!

Thanks for all of your quick advice. I'm taking three hundred rounds to the range with someone who has more shooting experience and can give a second opinion. He also has the experience and tools to adjust the sight, should it need it. I can't imagine the sights being off, so I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong. I'll post back a little later as I'm going down to shoot in two hours.

And yes, unfortunately, I was a Glock shooter.

Thanks again,
    Bob

8. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Guest

I think most right handed people will pull rounds to left , as in anticipating
    the recoil. I'm amazed how I can get a good group to the left yet if I shoot from a rest I can hit dead center. Usualy about 3" left at 15 yds for me.

9. spokes

spokes New Member

The first two times I shot my Steyr all shots landed dead center, just perfect. The third time I went to the range it was a different time of the day and the sun was in a different postion. All my shots landed about an inch and a half to the left, in a tiny group of course. You will see as soon as you get used to the sights you will have no problems.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

After a day at the range. Goodbye Glock!

OK. I spent 3 hours at the range today with another shooter. We adjusted my grip a little and moved the sights a touch, and I am still in awe at the shot groups that I produced. I am simply amazed! Being a police officer, I have shot a few pistols here and there. But this one (M40-A1) is simply amazing!

I have never shot a pistol that shot or allowed me to shoot so consistently. I normally shoot pretty good, but I shot the best I have ever shot. I am truly hooked. I hope that I can convice some of my colleagues to make the switch, because you just don't know what you're missing.

I ordered a duty holster from Desantis as well as a leather paddle holster from highnoon for off duty, and I think I am in pretty good shape.

Coming from a Glock 23, it's like comparing a Buick and a Mercedes. I was absolutely amazed at the difference that the trigger makes in double and triple taps as well.

Thanks for the help. I have a renewed sense of confidence and pride in what is in my holster!

Bob

11. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

welcome to the club. :)

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Final Range Report

Just for an update, I went to the range to qualify with my M40-A1 on December 29th. Real short and sweet, we have to run through the course twice to qualify. On the first run I shot a 90%. On the second run, I shot a 100%. Now that I have qulaified, it goes everywhere with me.

Bob

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

only 100%?

sheesh, you need to practice a little more before we let you in the club!!!!

hahaha

congrat's.

glad you like 'er. glad it's working out.