How do I get the best Steyr Pistol?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by SteyrDire, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

So definitely wanting to get a steyr, however from what it seems I cannot just get this gun without running into some issue, be it an extractor problem, the loaded chamber indicator causing jams, the recoil spring being to strong, etc. It seems I got to take into account things like what generation it is, and so forth, can anyone cut to the chase for me in this? I hear thats something of a deal with steyrs in going from generation to generation.

My initial criticism comes from a constant stream of it that i have heard over the years regarding it, though it seems like most of it is solved with the A1 series, though I believe the loaded chamber indicator had a recall for causes jam's, is that correct?

The guns retail in theory for 560 usd new direct from steyr, but gun prime sells them for 400, so might as well go that route. Cant link directly since im under 3 post.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Miksti

Miksti Member

I doubt that reliability will be as issue with the later generations.
    My S9-A1 has been great through the break-in. I have 600 rnds through it so far incl. 8 brands of fmj , 3 types of jhps. No ejection issues at all. A couple of feed issues, not quite into battery, or jammed at the feed ramp, with one brand mainly, and when it got really dirty at the end of the sessions.
    My local shop had it for $490.00 and I am getting a $50.00 rebate from Steyr, hopefully, soon. I have seen them online at four winds technology for $462.00 but my ffl gets 35 and that becomes the case transferring etc. This is my first Steyr and first striker pistol ; so take it for what its worth. It is a sweet shooter for me and I love the sights too. Good luck with everything.

3. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

Oh I forgot about battery failures, what is the cure for that? I know that be an issue with alot of guns, but might as well avoid it, so is that more a warranty thing?

4. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy Member

SteyrDire: I think if you go with a new one you'll be in good shape.

5. H2oman24

H2oman24 New Member

mine was having the failure to feed, getting stuck on the feed ramp. Cleaned and lubricated the extractor and haven't had an issue since. Otherwise no problems at all with the newest gen m9a1.

6. Miksti

Miksti Member

Maybe I was being very forgiving of malfunctions, and I don't want to downplay reliability: but I was figuring some of my minor issues were operator induced, maybe.
    If you look hard enough , you can find someone to site some bad ,either design issues or malfunctions of one kind or another for many models of semi-autos. I used a Kahr K-9 range gun that had battery issues 15 out of a box of 50. I wrote off Kahrs on the list ; but was that realistic? It probably was filthy. The reason I chose Steyr is because of the bulk of great reviews and very few negative on later models. Even though mine has as a few glitches I think I haven't wore it in yet.
    If you want absolute reliability, I wonder if it does exist in a semi-auto. My 1911 is close to perfect, and it has mileage on it: but my revolver is closer. I am no expert, either, just what I observed. If you are looking for an autoloader that is almost impossible to have a stoppage ,(I know someone is going to say Glock), good luck. As far as for me, I wouldn't think warranty on mine just yet.

7. Case

Case Well-Known Member

What model are you looking at ?? L M S C & CAL 40,9 ,357 .
    From what I'm reading you are looking about buying a new pistol. If you order from one of the online places, I would recommend to call and ask for the date code to check generation. I know the other day there were M model A1 for like $350. But they were gen 2 guns .
    If it were me ,I would recommend to buy a ge 4 that has the roll pin underneath the rear sight 2015 to now . I have all 3 calibers 9mm #357sig. 40sw. In M & L . I have never had a failure in the pistols Of any kind and I use mine for EDC and demo . The best thing to do would be to clean and make sure everything is lubricated and go shoot there is a break in period on them .

8. Philipp1

Philipp1 New Member

The number #1 recommendation I think for people without a handgun is to take the time and go to a shooting range, and try for yourself. If possible, take an open minded friend along, who has a handgun and some experience, but wont convince you on A or B but not C because it is *foul language*, but just help you with basic safety, handling, and range behaviour ;-) And then you say what you like and dislike. Repeat another time, maybe then make up your mind.

If you take the number of good reviews about the late M9 model into account I think you wont go wrong with it. Several mention the ejection problem, and others, but the reviewers didnt encounter them, and Steyr fixed those as well. Despite my own quirks with my own 2year old L9 the shooting characteristics, the handling, the way it feels for many people's hand sizes and the trigger are often on the "better than gun x y" side. What you want to check is that the model that fits you best has the roll pin under the rear sight, the Steyr logo on the grip left and right, and preferably no loading-indicator at the back of the slide. As far as I know the L-models all come with this indicator, but on the other models you may choose build-to-order if you want it. Since it is another thing involved at ejecting and feeding a cartridge I would rather not have it - my opinion. If number of handguns wouldnt be limited here in Austria I'd have the other models as well, or at least the S9/S40. The guns can also be ordered with a manual safety - you can safely skip on this one. Yes, it is a training issue, but then the whole concept of Glocks and Steyrs and M&Ps and Guns-Alike is to have a constant trigger pull above 4 or 5 pounds, and not fiddle with a safety. On a SA or DA/SA weapon, using it cocked, the "and locked" is the way to go because there trigger pull is half or less, and thus makes the gun more easily go BANG when handled carelessly. And if I would be walking in the woods on the blood trail of a shot-before animal, I d be using "finger long" tactics anyway - keeping the trigger finger long and above the trigger guard. The Steyr has the take-down lever there and it is a good tactile spot for your training and muscle memory...

9. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

What generation was your steyr? Im pretty sure steyrs are as reliable as it gets, just have to get over a few intial humps. As for 1911's, I would go for an H-9, but its funny since most people I have heard actually really tend to say 1911s are not that reliable. And of course every gun company has their hickups, I dont know why glock always gets the pass.

10. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

From what I hear, unless you fire +p+ 9mm, you shouldnt have any extractor issue, because the spring is meant for that type of round. The fix I have heard is a 15lbs spring over the stock 18lbs spring.

11. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

I had no idea about the roller pin existing, and thats gen 4 A1's online? I would love any sort of generation comparison with steyrs. Personally I would like an L model in all 3 calibers.

Case likes this.
  12. Miksti

Miksti Member

I just got mine new in November. It is a Gen 4, or latest, with mfg date January 2017. Another member mentioned the roll pin. That is the axle for a roller bearing that bears against the top side of the hollow firing pin case where the striker spring is inside. I believe that is to make function more free and reduce wear. I think it solved previous issues with older models. I am not familiar with an H-9. The only 1911 I have is a .45 Colt series 70 gold cup, which was well worn in when I got it from a buddy years ago. Back to the Steyrs... I really like the simplicity of take down and the chassis can even be pulled form the polymer frame very easily. The striker and recoil springs have solid steel guide rods. Spring steel magazines. It looks pretty robust in all.

13. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Pretty sure he's talking about the Hudson H9 (which is NOT a 1911)[​IMG]

14. Miksti

Miksti Member

Oh, yea I've seen these before. That is one unique design. I like it.
    Is that an aluminum frame? I do know they are twice the price of a Steyr.

15. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

Its not a "traditional 1911" but has most of what makes it. The changes are pretty obvious, the low bore, striker fire, low placement recoil spring, and only in 9mm. I kind of think of it as an evolution of it.

16. SteyrDire

SteyrDire New Member

What would be the problem for trigger pulls below 4 lbs? I was planning on replacing the stock 5.5 lbs spring for something like 3 or 2 lbs, closer to single action trigger.

17. Philipp1

Philipp1 New Member

I think everyday handling, usage and intended use of the firearm.

At the range where you handle the gun usually in a safe way, always pointing it downrange, or carry it unloaded, slide open, in a bag, etc. (at least on the ranges here in Austria), the light trigger pull or an external safety is not the issue. Or, you want to have the lightest trigger pull available, and allowed (in competition, range rules, etc..).

Carrying a SA (or a DA/SA handgun in SA mode) handgun in a holster without a safety engaged is more likely to discharge accidentally on unproper, untrained, handling, with the light trigger, than a heavier trigger.

This is why many people advise to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. This is why Berettas and SIGs and Walthers (P99) etc. have a decocking option, which allows you to load the weapon, rack the slide in safe direction, thus loading a round in the chamber, and then decock the handgun. Glocks, M&Ps, Steyr, DA revolvers, etc. have a heavier, constant trigger pull.

Either with the engaged safety, or with the heavier trigger pull, you are less likely to fire the gun accidentally.

You are near 0 likelyhood to fire the gun accidentally if you carry it without a round in the chamber, as some regions, rules, etc. might require, but then some people argue this defies the sense of why you carry a handgun in the first place. If you have the time to the rack the slide, you might as well have had the time to think about to avoid getting into the situation at all.