1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what was your state's score?

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/

Matt Larson (Combatcarry.com) said:
Well, I pulled the numbers and Brady grades for 2004.

Then, I averaged the rates from the states with each grade for:

- Total Violent Crime rate per Capita
- Murder / Manslaughter rate per Capita
- Rape rate per Capita
- Robbery rate per Capita
- Aggravated Assault rate per Capita

And the data ended up looking like this:

'A' Graded (MD, CA, MA, NJ, CT, HI)

'B' Graded (IL, NY, NE, RI)

'C' Graded (DE, NC, KS, OR, VA, IA, MN, WI)

'D' Graded (SC, FL, TN, AK, NV, TX, AZ, OK, AR, MO, MI, GA, PA, CO, WA, OH, IN, WV, UT, VT, ME, ND)

'F' Graded (NM, LA, AL, MS, MT, KY, ID, WY)

Looking at the list, some things jump out.

States with 'A' ratings lead the nation in overall violent crime, are second to 'F' states in murder, are lowest in rape, lead in robbery, and are third behind the 'D' and 'F' states in Aggravated Assault.

So an A rating correlates to a pretty high level of violent crime, it seems.

One interesting thing to note, though, is Washington, DC - which should be a Brady Paradise with massively restricted private ownership of guns. Here are their numbers:

DC:

DC, of course, eclipses every single state for violent crime, in every category.

Note - these are 2004 numbers and 2004 grades, as the BJS does not yet have the 2005 numbers on their site.

For those interested, I have included a PDF of the raw data I used, exported from Excel.

Matt
-D

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Florida.........F+ can it get any better ????? :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got my pistols in my pockets boys,
I'm Alabama bound.
Well, I'm not looking for no trouble,
But nobody dogs me 'round.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am looking for a job in aerospace which will probably involve relocating. My first source of info was the Brady Bunch website. I rated all the states based on the "grades" by the Bradys. Obviously anyplace with a "grade" above C was discounted and D or F at the top of the list. I find it interesting that states with stratospheric violence were well thought of while bastions of relative tranquility were excoriated. I m hoping to find a position in WA, NM, CO or a couple of other scorned states.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A while ago I was bored and complied an Excel sheet comparing various cities' ranking in murder rate per capita versus the permissiveness of their concealed carry laws. Murder rate data was from '03 or '04 (can't remember). Washington D.C. ranked #2 (no carry), Baltimore #3 (difficult to get permit), Oakland #6, Chicago #8, Milwaukee #11. Overall, major cities with no CCW rights had higher murder rates compared to CCW permissive cities, with an average rank of 23 versus 25.4. Not highly significant from a statistical standpoint, but it's definitely NOT in the direction the gun-grabbers would like us to believe.

As for where I live, Seattle ranked way down at #40, and Washington state gets a D+ from the Brady group. Look at Vermont, they get a D- but have one of the lowest murder rates.

Look up "irrelevant" in the dictionary and you'll see this:

G

·
I hate to say it, but it is possible the availibility of ccw permits is not why violent crime is low.

It maybe that pols and voters in places with high crime rates are more likely to give up gun rights in the hopes of safety. And the opposite that pols and voters are more likely to allow ccw in places with low violent crime rates.

I work in DC...Live in Virginia...

My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Only a C- for VA. Bummer. Was hoping for a solid F. Got to keep working.
I thought these knuckleheads pulled this when the inverse correlation between the Brady grades and per capita violence was pointed out some years ago.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, I live in MD, an A-state. I doubt I'll ever get a CCW permit, and we can't have magazines that contain more than 20 rounds... The wait for a handgun is 8-10 days... it's pretty lame. Maybe I'll move a few miles north up into PA.

Don't get me wrong, I love my state, and the area I live in. I wouldn't move just solely because I have restrictive gun laws. However, if it got any more strict, I would definitely consider it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts